PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It's summer here in the U.S., as most of you know. I live in the North East, known for the nasty winter storms. I can handle that, no problem.Today however it was a sunny, cloudless day...with temperatures of 99 degrees (around 37 or so for all you non-US-ers) and humidity that sat at about 90+%. It was too balmy to move, let alone practice. After the record breaking cold winter we had (below 0 degrees F) to this, bleck. So, to all of you who come from places normally this hot, how the hell do you beat the heat? The local college is closed so the rehearsal studio there is out of the question and I don't want to get out of practice. How do you find the cool motivation to spin, dance, yoga, whatever when you feel like you are going to drop from heat exhaustion?And yes, btw, I am drinking lots of water, cold wash clothes to our necks, hot coffee...tra la la winkAnyone else melting away as well?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 15 June 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I whack on a heap of waterresistant sunscreen, strip off, soak myself with the hose and twirl around the backyard (with a hat and sunnies of course). I find this is acceptable for an hour or so of twirling in extreme heat.Otherwise, sit at home til the sun goes down, then get out and to a beach and twirl til your all sweaty (it aint yuck - its natural!) then run screaming into the sea. That works for me too.Josh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm a guy who'll go for long bike rides on roads that hit about 120°F. So I don't get put off by the heat when I'm just twirlin'. When I twirl in my back yard, I have the benefit of big shade trees, which lower the temperature to a reasonable level. And I drink a lot of icewater (I love my icemaker).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
The waether here in Toronto was simmilar, it was around 35 C, damn hot and humid, with an air quality advisory in effect. My freind and I, while spinning yesterday, kept up a rythym of spin/drink water/spin/run inside to air conditioning/spin/repeat. smile I did some good spinning yesterday. I've got the 4-beat weave down and am working on wrapping at the other side for the 5... smile

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I like Josh's ideas. Take a trip up to the beach. The air off of the lake is usually cooler than the air at landlocked Batavia.GirlFromMars and N8 should be able to comment on the amount of wind at that park we went to.The comet poi might not be a good idea, but some practice poi might.I like the idea of you stripping before practice, but your neighbors think you're weird enough already. grinThat place down by the water where we went on Sunday might be a good place too. If you get hot, just lie down.--(Sorry for the name, my registration still hasn't been emailed yet.)
Non-Https Image Link

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
We folks in Florida dont have too much of a choice year round on how to handle it. We dont even have season change. frown It is always humid, and most of the time sweltering. For myself, I just find some shade, so my feet dont get burned (shoes and me dont mix). The rest of it I can live with. Although on some days, I feel as if my head is swimming and I peacefully lay down and die right there. For anyone thinking of it: Dont come to Florida! Besides the crookedness of our state government and the drastic flashiness of its inhabitants, the weather in spring through fall... ack...P.S. ~ Hey Whipping Boy, how do you get cool graphics with your smilies?------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
There's a couple smilie sites. I used one off of this site. They include the info to put in the page at the bottom. It's pretty cool. I used to know of another, I'll try to find it.www.plauder-smilies.de/

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

the streaking wombatmember
10 posts

Posted:
well, it's been getting rather hot this summer in oklahoma as well...i usually get up early, and practice in the morning before it gets hot...and i give it a go again when the sun goes down...good time to play with me fire too...but i agree Pele...it's damn hot...and you won't catch me out in the midday sun------------------this fire and i dance among the stars

this fire and i dance among the stars

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
in that case, who could possibly resist
Non-Https Image Link
?mikeyB

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
i gotta agree, the heat here in new york the past few days have been crazy, and i've actually been afraid to twirl cuz i'm afraid to set something on fire when it's so dry outside. i was practicing with some glowsticks last night and almost dropped over after five minutes cuz it was so hot (i live up on the third floor of a dorm building with no a/c)the best things i can say (if you're not practicing with fire, of course, is to put on a fan, maybe take a cold shower beforehand, drink lotsa water and take frequent breaks.

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I guess as an South Australian with no A/c except at work, I have a few heat related mindsets to help get me through. 1) sweating can be fun, and is healthy. fit ppl break a sweat much more easily than unfit ppl, and if you are exercising in a hot climate without sweating - you gotta consider your hydration.2) the added heat can be seen like just another difficulty adding factor to your practice...eg - Twirling in the heat is harder than twirling in a perfectly comfortable temp, just like twirling with two staves is harder than twirling with one.3) the difficulty added by heat can be considered a mental discipline / strengthening exercise. Keep going. dont get frustrated. rejoice in the sweat. have a luke warm shower (not cold) afterwards to cool off...then a nice long stretch session...then another shower...I think as long as you are aware of the hydration / sun damage issues, you can exercise in high temperatures with no worries. be aware of the effects of heat and de-hydration on your body. Learn to be aware of the effects on your behaviour. controlling how you react to the weather is far more effective than letting the weather control your reactions.oh yeah. make sure you are well rested before exercising in a hot climate, otherwise you may faint in the sun, not pretty.Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 18 June 2001).]