Forums > Social Chat > what to do with myself in a strange place.....

Login/Join to Participate

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
well, im finally doing it. im heading overseas on my own. hoorah!
im going to new zealand at the end of december for a month or so and i honestly know very little about it, like what to do and where to go and the places which will interest me most. i want to make the most of my trip but i dont know where to start! (except im spending christmas in christchurch with my mother and her inlaws)
i figured a thread here would be resourceful considering new zealand is the home for this site and firetwirling and all.....
so can anyone help out an ignorant to-be traveller and give me a hint as to where the hell i should go? any good festivals or just fun little towns?
any wonderful people to bump in to? dont be shy!
im here to be befriended!

Fire... A bushmans telly

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Whatever you do, don't feed the locals. And watch out for Kiwis on Unicycles.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Christchurch is a great place to start, in my opinion.

The Milford Track and Fjordland are perhaps the most beautiful parts of this beautiful country...Have a wander into Te Papa when you pass through Wellington, it's the most modern and fun Musuem you've ever seen!

Only come to Auckland if you really have to, there's a lot of fun stuff here, but you really need a local to show you around coz its the "getting there" that can be a pain.

I'd offer to do it myself, but might not have much time I'm orbiting happily around the wife and baby at the moment.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
thanks for the help guys, ill keep an eye out and my running shoes on for the kiwis on unicycles, i promise patrick!
and charles, thanks for the placenames, ill do some research. im probably going to auckland at some point cos i plan to check out the northlands, so ill pop inand befreind some local guide-like people for a few days shall i?
congratulations once again on baby! happy people in happy families are sooo beautiful!

Fire... A bushmans telly

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
get your butt to the coromandel
Its a paradise... I swear

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
really? whats it like? ive heard of it is pst research stints. tell me more?

Fire... A bushmans telly

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
beaches galore... fantastic fishing... wonderful locals... the water is clear enough to see your tootsies...
WARM (for NZ anyway)
plus its close to Mr charles...what more could you ask for?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
theres so much to see in NZ. the abel tasman walk is beuutiful as well - its up the top of south island (i think). i lived in NZ for 4 years -we tryed to travel everywhere, but we still couldne see everything.

enjoy!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
oooh, sounds lovely! So is there not much else to do but hike and bungee jump and fish and sail and climb and camp and canoe and raft and cave and swim?
have i forgotten anything?

Fire... A bushmans telly

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
yup... all those adventuristic things are avaliable in queenstown...the bottom of the south island...

HOP Newsletter