Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
In another thread about drug free spinning a few people said that taking drugs or not was a matter of personal choice.

I feel a little uneasy about applying that phrase to drugs as they tend to be addictive or habit forming substances.

i.e. they effectivly diminish or remove the ability to make choices. for example, someone who has never smoked can choose whether or not to light and smoke a cigarette, but someone who has a thirty a day habit and is severely addicted to nicotine no longer has that choice.

There are millions of smokers in the world who find it impossible to kick their habit, effectivley they have lost their ability to choose.

Whilst some drugs are considered non addictive, due to peer pressure and the pro drug marketing that is rife in our culture, choice is effectivly reduced.

I know that people shouldn't be influenced by such things, but humans are extremely suseptible to this- there wouldn't, for example, be so many drinks promotions if promotions didn't work.

The sad thing is that the young are most suseptible to this pro drug propaganda.

I was wondering what those of you who believe that taking drugs is a matter of personal choice, thought about this?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Stubbs I disagree. Your going to lunch with your friends has nothing to do with a social dependency. That is differnt animal all together.

If you join people that you like for a drink after work, and it makes you feel good to be accepted by them you will more than likly do it again the next time. And the next, and the next, and the next. A social dependency (please note the change in verbage) can lead to an alcohol problem.

If you dont believe me, ask people how they started drinking. I garunte that the majority started at a social event.

Granted this and all other examples have varied results because people are different. What happens to one person may not happen to another in the same situation.

Also I do believe I said not to read into what I said too much. You know, the getting addicted to going to the toilet thing.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:
So what your saying is that the repeated habbit of putting a cigerret to your mouth isnt addictive?

I do find it humorus though, that out of all the docs that I know, the majority smoke! It is a cause for wonder.

1) I never made any assertion tthat a smoker wasn't addicted. Re-read my post carefully and stop putting words in my mouth. I love ya, Ray, but that's really annoying.

2) There is one smoker in my class of 170. I do not know a single other doctor who smokes and I assure you I know more doctors than you do. Maybe it's a military thing?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

2,905 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lïghtnïng:
Some people call dependence "physical addiction" but this is a meaningless term. There is no such thing as "physical addiction."
Your absolutly right, you never said that. Hrm... I musta pulled the above out of my ass!

And about there only being 1 guy in your class that smokes!! I am actually supprised. Hrm... well... like I said it was the Docs I know.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
Because if I have in front of me an apple and an orange, and choose to eat the orange, then I would not expect to find myself consuming the apple.

Brilliant!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Good call Ray These are complicated issues that are mostly trivialised by the media, and by many people.
quote:
Do they take it (dex amphetamine) it for long enough to develop a chemical dependence.
Dunno Ray, the thing was that they did not seem to be given much information or guidance on how to use go-pills effectively, which seemed pretty irresponsible! Apparently, squadrons were grounded because they overused these chemicals.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

2,905 posts

Posted:
Stone, they are not just handed a pill and told to have fun. You dont seem to understand that when I said that the chemicals that our pilots put in their body is closly regulated. The Corpsmen and Flight Docs. have got to give the pilot a perscription to take anything stronger than over the counter pain killers.

They wouldnt be using it for a prolonged period and they wouldnt be flying if they had a chemical dependency. I am sorry but I can not believe that whole squadrons were grounded. If that happend the CO would be relieved of his command.

I must question how you know what guidance was given?? You saw a few case points, as if those few examples could vouch for the whole US Military.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ray, you say that anyone who uses an illegal drug is addicted, but as soon as the drug is prescribed and made legal, you sing a different tune?

It's the same molecule, you know.

-Mike

2,905 posts

Posted:
Umm No. If I did say anything like that, I apologise because that is not what I meant.

I did however mean that all drugs are addictive.

Not if you try drugs once, your an addict.

I apologise for the confusion.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Anything pleasurable is addictive. For instance, there are lots and lots of people who try drugs and stop because they don't find the effects pleasurable. Does this mean "addiction" only exists for a small number of people? Or that some people find different things pleasurable, ala addicting?

It just comes down to indulging. Sure I could eat constantly in an "addicted" manner, but I recognize that this is not healthy. Just as I recognize that eating masses of drugs is a bad idea, though I still enjoy it once in a while.

And as for hurting myself, well everything you do is destructive to yourself, it's the nature of being alive: to die. My intake of drugs is pleasurable, and if anything the ancient Greek philosophers said, not to speek anything of modern psychological ideas about pleasure principles, is true, then all the better for me. When I begin intaking drugs to bury my problems, or in some maladaptive way, thats a different story. That would be indulging in my pleasure, and as I already (think) I tried to point out, indulging in anything is bad.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by i8beefy2:
Anything pleasurable is addictive. For instance,
There are many pleasurable things that are not addictive.

Drinking orange juice, walking in the sun, reading a book etc.

I'm not saying that there is no one who is addicted to these things, but the number of people addicted to walking in the sun is miniscule compared to the number addicted to cigarettes.

Also bear in mind that 'addiction' generally refers to something that is harmful.

Which brings us to : -
quote:
Originally posted by i8beefy2:
And as for hurting myself, well everything you do is destructive to yourself, it's the nature of being alive: to die.
There is a sense in which walking in the sun is harmful, but in no way comparable to the lung damaging and carcinogenic characteristics of smoking.

Your comment that 'everything you do is destructive' is a little strange. Eating for example is in some ways harmful, in that all food contains minor poisons; but the health benefits of eating far outweigh the harmful aspects.

The opposite is the case with most, if not all drugs. It is definitly the case with smoking, heroin and alcohol (above a certain level).

As for knowing your own levels and knowing whether you partake for pleasure or problem burying; drugs are notorious for creating confusion in knowing your own mind.

I don't think that there's a single person who one day decided they were going to start taking a little cocaine and alcohol then gradually build up; aiming for the day when they end up dead from an overdose.

They all go through a phase of knowing their level and being in control.

Some stay at that level, some end up out of control; of those, some escape and some don't; probably the only thing they had in common was a belief that they were in, and could remain in, control.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I dont think the whole 'gateway drug' thing is a realistic appraisal of how people get onto hard drugs.

In Holland where they have given the populace legal access to weed (and good drug education), the number of people having hard drug overdoses has fallen. In fact, the number of people smoking weed has fallen too.

This seems to contradict the whole 'weed is the gateway to hard drugs and crime' theory being pursued so strongly in some countries.

perhaps you can give us another more plausible explanation for that?

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Josh:
I dont think the whole 'gateway drug' thing is a realistic appraisal of how people get onto hard drugs.

In Holland where they have given the populace legal access to weed (and good drug education), the number of people having hard drug overdoses has fallen. In fact, the number of people smoking weed has fallen too.

This seems to contradict the whole 'weed is the gateway to hard drugs and crime' theory being pursued so strongly in some countries.

perhaps you can give us another more plausible explanation for that?

Josh

I wasn't referring to the 'gateway' theory whatsoever. I personally don't believe that weed is a gateway to harder drugs.

I do know for a fact though that it gets some people hooked on nicotine as spliffs generally contain tobacco which is a very addictive substance. (I also know people who started smoking cigarettes as a result of weed).

Whilst cigarette addiction is often regarded as trivial due to it's very slow method of killing and due to it's legality, the fact remains that it kills more people than all other drugs put together.

The fact also remains that every addict who finds themselves at the 'life ruined' point at some earlier point felt in control of their drug use.

A sure fire way to never become addicted is to not dabble with addictive substances in the first place.

I really don't want to comment further on 'gateway theories' and legislation, as I don't know that much about them.

I'd rather stick to the issue of choice which is the title of this thread and which very few of the pro drug posters seem to be addressing.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:

Funny, I can't seem to find any cases of aspirin addiction. Or penicillin addiction. Not fair because those don't act on the CNS? Ok, find me a case of prozac addiction, then. You can't.

In order for addiction to a drug to occur, the drug must meet the following criteria:
1) The drug must have a relatively rapid onset (seconds to under an hour after administration).
2) The drug must act on the central nervous system.
3) The drug must have a short enough half-life that the effect wears off within several hours.

However, not all such drugs are addictive. For example, naloxone, which is an opioid antagonist, meets all of the above criteria and yet it does the opposite of morphine or heroin and is actually used to treat overdoses. You simply can't be addicted to it because it itself does not act on any receptors other than by blocking them.

For ADDICTION TO OCCUR (whether to a drug or to an activity), the activity must be associated with increased activity in the median forebrain bundle, the so-called "pleasure-reward pathway" in the brain. However, many things are associated with increased median forebrain bundle activity and addiction does not occur, so median forebrain bundle activity is just one component. If we knew the rest of it, we'd have a cure for addiction.

-Mike

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lïghtnïng:
quote:

Funny, I can't seem to find any cases of aspirin addiction. Or penicillin addiction.

This thread seems to have become a meeting place for pedantics.

From the context of the discussion I think it's pretty obvious that Raymund wasn't referring to aspirin.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ray, not all drugs are addictive. It’s pretty difficult to get addicted to LSD, as tolerance builds up rapidly, same with MDMA (a compound occasionally found in extasy pills) Prohibition doesn’t work and education is the key. Pity those air force docs didn’t educate the pilots.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
People should be able to make an informed choice as to whether or not they want to take drugs.

Josh

--

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
People should be able to make an informed choice as to whether or not they want to take drugs.

Josh

And they should also be able to make an informed and supported choice as to whether or not they want to continue taking drugs. However so often a person's continuing use of a drug, or any substance, is not an informed decision. They don't listen to the most important information of all, ie. how their body feels and responds. Instead they listen to how they think they should feel.

I suffer from periodic bouts of depression, although I haven't had one in a while. I am well aware that I must be careful what I take, as the effect it has upon me, may be totally different to that it has upon another. I need to listen to my body, and my indicators of depression, first and foremost.

Just as a side note, people in some more vulnerable groups find it very hard to make an informed decision. And it is not because of the "informed" bit, it is because of the "decision" bit. I teach young adults, who are just finishing their first year of work. Many of them are starting to look for jobs, and manage their careers. We give them lots and lots of information about jobs, where to find them, how to write a resume. But the toughest thing for them is to make their own decisions. They are very used to being in school, where you simply progress to the next year (you have to do pretty badly not to). So they are firstly unable to make the decision that they need to do something, and secondly find it hard to turn down jobs they don't want, because they don't realise they can make that decision.

I am only using this as an example, because being vulnerable isn't always about age. But the example shows that education is often a more difficult process than just putting lots of medical info in front of someone. It involves teaching people to take responsibility for their own decisions. Something that is fairly rare anyway.

have I inherited Pele's typewriter yet?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

2,905 posts

Posted:
Mike, I really want to just flame you right now, just go off the damn wall, but Onewheeldave said it best, and I will leave it at that.

Stone, hehe with a month in Aus after a month in Thailand, my alcohol tolerance went pretty damn high and real fast too. Does that mean that alcohol isnt addictive? It may be hard but I garunte you someone out there is addicted to it.

If I need a break from reality, I go play my online RPG, Ultima Online. I roleplay, I dont need to jack up my brain on some chemical to get away, just a computer and the internet

Taking drugs for recreation, is an expensive and possibly deadly habbit. Why do people throw their money and their lives away for a temperary high?

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
You know how many people used to say that about me rock climbing?

Same goes for sky divers, base jumpers, horse riders, recreational pilots......

People chase their own buzz, just because you don't get off on it doesn't mean their isn't an attraction.....and just because people get a kick out of something doesn't mean their addicts.

That would be the people that feel a constant need for something......but then I realise how little my opinion actually counts because I'm "one of those stoners" who obviously isn't able to think clearly what with all my drug clouded judgements and all.........

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
That last sentence isn't a dig at anyone here before anyone gets offended without reading it properly.....

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

2,905 posts

Posted:
There is more than one way to chase a buzz... your right. Perhaps people just havnt found an adiquate outlet for the chase, so the bend twords something more easily found?

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
In an ideal world people would only make informed choices. Unfortunately, that is rarely the case.

(This applies to all choices, not just drugs.)

Raph

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hear Hear, Raphael...

(Charles goes back to silent observing again)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
But a large part of the reason people dont make informed decisions is because the laws need supporting information so the populace believes in their neccessity. If the right wing conservative governments started desseminating more accurate information people would begin to wonder why the laws are the way they are...

oh no, cant have people thinking for themselves, whatever would happen next?

(and this goes for more than just drugs btw).

Josh

--

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
But a large part of the reason people dont make informed decisions is because the laws need supporting information so the populace believes in their neccessity. If the right wing conservative governments started desseminating more accurate information people would begin to wonder why the laws are the way they are...

Josh

So are you saying that people are capable of making good decisions about the pros and cons of drugs, but not capable of making good decisions concerning the information handed out by the government?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

2,905 posts

Posted:
Isnt it obvius that people do not have the ability to make sound choices? Why else would we have laws against murder and stealing, just to name a few?

If people arnt informed enough not to kill and steal, how in the world do you expect them to be informed enough to not injest harmfull substances into their bodies?

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ray you are overstating the danger of drugs enormously. All drugs COMBINED kill less than 1% of the amount of people killed by tobacco or alcohol every year. Granted that is spread out over a larger user base, but if we are to take Amsterdams example, you'd find with legalization the number of people partaking wouldn't increase all that much, so even then deaths in a nonregulated environment would stay about the same, less than 1% level. Of course without SOME regulation businesses eventually imposing their ethics on distribution and things get messed up again. In some ways, we're actually better off having them illegal, because we get far better quality.

Now of course people are capable of making informed decisions. They better be or else democracy is a pointless exercise, and totalitarian regimes can take their place as the better government... Just because someone chooses to do something you don't agree with you make a judgment about their ability to make "good" decisions? I bow to your enlightened nature, because if you've figured out the riddle of right and wrong, that thing that no two people anywhere, at any time, under any cercumstances have ever completely agreed about.... sweet.

Simply because one way of life doesn't work for you, don't assume it doesn't make others' day that much better. Everything is relative.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Umm Alcohol and tobacco are drugs.

I love how you have the ability to make a personal insult sound so sweet and caring, as if you're better than me just because you said it.

Grow up man.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
quote:

Josh

I'm not sure that I agree with you. I'd say rather that the reason people are not informed is that they have not taken the time to educate themselves about the subject in question. The vast majority sit back and blindly follow/believe whatever is spoonfed to them by the media, or by friends/relatives/coworkers who are likely part of that same ignorant majority.

This is not to say that there are not informed people in the world, but the herd instinct is strong enough in humans that we tend to listen to the loudest voice no matter what that voice is saying.

Raph

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Woh, easy man, no insult intended. I just like to argue the devils advocate position thats all. As a millitary officer, you live by a far different ideology than I do my friend. I was just simply trying to point out by analogy that just because you see things one way doesn't always make you 100% right. No one can be!

It was not however ment as a personal insult. If it came across as such I apologize.

Page: