Forums > Social Chat > Advice: Nikon Coolpix 990, or others

Login/Join to Participate

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I am in dire need of purchasing a camera. I read in a previous thread that someone bought a Nikon Coolpix 990, so I looked it up, and it looks totally bad.Adjustable shutter speed, 3.3 megapixel digital, takes 40 second videos too. The cap of my price range...Does anyone have any suggestions? Or since I have my eye on this particular model, any experience with it?Many thanks in advance smile------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
A good friend of mine picked up a used CoolPix 990 *with* a 128 Meg compact flash card for an even $500 about two weeks ago. This camera totally rocks! The CoolPix 950 was a damn fine camera, arguably the best in it's range, but it did have a few noticable drawbacks. The 990 upgrade fixed every single one of them.If you'd like to see sample of pictures taken with the CoolPix 990, just hop on over to:https://vees.netVees (Rob) is a way cool dude, and would be more than willing to tell you just how cool his new toy really is. ;-)-p.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've got a Nikon 880, which is the baby 990 (no longer in production, but there are probably some floating around). They're both good cameras. The 880 is more compact, which I wanted; the 990 offers more sophisticated controls. They both suffer from slightly washed-out color, but otherwise take good pictures. Nikon has updated the 990 to the 995, which has a 4x zoom and maybe some other goodies.If you really want to study up on digicams, check out https://www.dpreview.com
, which I consider the best source of information and really thorough reviews.Yeah, having a digicam is lots of fun. You can fire off 50 or 100 shots in one session without the slightest guilt or worry about processing expenses. This is handy for something as dynamic as firedancing.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

veesBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Actually, I did write all about my camera a couple of days ago.That thread is over here:https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000849.htmlYou should know that the pictures on the site are all reduced to 768x576 pixels from the original 2048x1600 because it suits the web best.[This message has been edited by vees (edited 15 June 2001).]

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Im hooked. Just ordered one.... Cant wait to get it, but ack! Talk about broke now! Time to start pumping in the OT. Thanks everyone for the input. Love the pics vees. Cant wait to share mine with you guys.Cheers!------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow