Forums > Social Chat > 10 year old fire twirlers

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I went with a group of friends to a very small town yesterday and did some fire poi near the local club then went onto a local party.
Things were very quiet until this young girl comes out with her fire poi.
She was amazing. Her and her bunch of mates twirled for about 2 hours swapping back and forth.
Thier faves were a weave, and a kneeldown then lay on the back twirling over the head with a single poi.
It was obviously pretty usual because none of the adults there were worried at all.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I can think of at least one TWENTY EIGHT year old who I wouldn't let spin with fire.

But my little cousin is 9, she's bright, down to earth and if she was confident with practice poi and wanted to spin fire, sure I'd let her, with parental consent.

There was this 12yo or so at Glastonbury who rocked with the staff, couldn't believe it.

What's more damaging, really? I'd far rather let my child risk a few minor burns, than tell him he CAN'T do this, or can't do that.

Magnus... pay it forward

kazanewbie
29 posts

Posted:
People on here are worrying about the damage caused by an hour or so of being in the middle of the fumes. Now let me ask you, would you ever let your kids use the tube (underground/metro)? ten minuets down there is supposed to be the same as smoking 40 fags.

But recently I have had a little scare with my poi. Home made with link chains attached to cylindrical wicks by a large key-ring. I have messy, dreaded hair and (stupidly) don't ware a bandanner while spinning. While practicing recently I have had the key-ring stick through one of my dreads and the poi hang in front of my face. Luckily not on fire, but be sure I will always wear head protection from now on.

As to staff, devil stcik, clubs, diablo etc. I really don't think they are much more dangerous on fire than not. Or maybe I just have thick skin. It's when poi tangle around you and the flame stays there you get bad burns, and staff will bounce off.

Whether I think kids should be allowd to do it or not. I don't know. I think if they were my own and I thought they were confident and good enough I would let them, but I would probally make sure they wore a face mask, even if just a simple dust mask.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Magnus:
What's more damaging, really? I'd far rather let my child risk a few minor burns, than tell him he CAN'T do this, or can't do that.
Well, that is part of parenting Magnus. To know when to draw the line when your child does not. And what if the minor burn becomes severe? What if the minor burn is on his/her face, where others can pick on your child? I know that I don't want my child to get hurt anymore than his natural propensity for being a boy allows, so there are certain things I do to protect him...Make sure he wears his helmet when bike riding, his elbow/knee/wrist protectors and helmet when he is roller blading/skate boarding, by making sure I know where he is, who he is with and what he is doing... Restriciting things like fire play, which is absolutely unnecessary to enjoy spinning is one of them.
The burns are far more damaging than telling him/her to wait and the fact that you do not realize this really surprises me.

I never tell my son he CAN'T do something, but rather that he MAY NOT RIGHT NOW. There is a world of difference. If he wants it bad enough he will wait, and he has.

When he was 4 he asked me if he could have his ears pierced. I told him when he was 8 and explained my reasoning. He wore magnetic and stick on earrings for 4 years when he felt like it, and would ask me every year on his birthday if he could have his ear pierced for real. He never let down. When he turned 8 it was one of the gifts he received. In 4 years he never lost his determination or desire, but he was also old enough to care for it properly.

He has to wait to be tatooed. He has to wait for his grandfather to teach him to hunt properly. He has to wait to learn to drive. He has to wait to play with fire. He does plenty and has plenty to occupy him until those points in time arrive, and even has things that can serve as substitutions.

They wait, they mature, they do non-fire variations if they love spinning that much and they have a better appreciation of what they do when they are allowed to do it and the health risks diminish.

[ 27. August 2003, 03:30: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
i'm afraid i'm going to go aganist the grain on this one. looking at whether a "child" should perform fire poi or anything else with fire is a matter of pure understanding and respect form the user. an 8 year old with an understanding of fire, and what it is and means to control it, has nothing to worry about or cause concern about. some drunken 30 year old htinking he'll impressive the local ladies by trying to copy a fire performer in the street is a million miles away from safe and is blatantly the cause of problems, not only to himself (which is debatable as to how much one would care) and more importnatly others. if your able to understand and respect fire, or poi or anything else for that nmatter, the age you are phyiscaly has nothing to do with your ablity to perform.

sicktimBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Achluophobia:
I'm 15 and I do poi, not with fire though, maybe later, in Febuary when I'm 16. Does anyone see anything wrong with that?
Depends on how good you are. If you can spin for ten -15 minutes without hitting yourself then go for it. It's actually quite difficult to set your self on fire (Don't wear a shell suit.) as the poi bounce off most of the time. If you get wrapped up just drop and roll.

Oh and never do fire poi on your own. Basic fire safety.

When I was your age I was doing more more irresponsible things with fire which i won't tell you about in case you try them.

-------------};~>ST

Perunt, Si iokum, Non aestimant.

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
A bit off topic, here; I'm fifteen, and I hope to spin once I feel ready... But my parents tell me I'm not allowed until I'm at least seventeen... I can already spin for ten or fifteen minutes without whacking myself, but I dunno... Should I wait 'til they say I'm ready (pfft, two years?!) or should I get a friend to spot for me, or... what...?

*laughs at self* Sorry 'bout the confusing-ness of off-topic-ness... Usually I can word myself better than this, but.. *shrug* whatever works..

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Nove:
A bit off topic, here; I'm fifteen, and I hope to spin once I feel ready... But my parents tell me I'm not allowed until I'm at least seventeen... I can already spin for ten or fifteen minutes without whacking myself, but I dunno... Should I wait 'til they say I'm ready (pfft, two years?!) or should I get a friend to spot for me, or... what...?
Honestly, if you're too impatient to wait for this then you may be too immature to handle the fire properly.
There's not many good reasons to spin with fire, other than "I want to." You're better off spending that time refining the skills and mastering technique.
I also don't see the point in going against ones parents. It's not like they're asking you not to breathe or something else that's really out there.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Nove:

Part of being responsible and trustworthy, especially when you are a kid, is to prove to your parents that you can be responsible and trustworthy. Defying them to do something they obviously think is dangerous to some extent is no way to do that, or to continue poi as a hobby. If you like spinning, then spin for two years not lit. When you hit 17 you will be amazing with fire. What is the rush anyway? The fire will be there. The poi will be there. So why risk the upset of the parents and the possibility of having the priveledge of doing your spinning thing taken away? Not worth it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Okay, I totally thought of what you just said, Pele, right after I had posted my message... Stupid question, it was...

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
Hi Nove,

If you feel there's no need to wait those extra two years for lighting up, perhaps you should consider another chat with your parents. After all, why not have them on your good side?

A few suggestions are to ask if they would me more comfortable if certain precautions were taken without fail, or only for specific occasions. I know it would make a difference for me.

Unless you've been known to be particularaly delinquent and/or unsafe, there's no reson why friendly parleys would be unwelcomed. Don't be too insitant, and take in consideration the advice that's been given here so far.

Worse comes to worse, the joy of spinning doesn't go away just cause it's not on fire, you'll just have more respect for the flames once you're actually ready (from your paren't point of view)

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Nope, no delinquence on my part... I'm also wondering if it might have something to do with the fact both my dad and my sister are fire-fighters, (so I had to be the different one, of course)

I will have a talk with them, thanks for the advice...

Page: