Forums > Social Chat > 10 year old fire twirlers

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I went with a group of friends to a very small town yesterday and did some fire poi near the local club then went onto a local party.
Things were very quiet until this young girl comes out with her fire poi.
She was amazing. Her and her bunch of mates twirled for about 2 hours swapping back and forth.
Thier faves were a weave, and a kneeldown then lay on the back twirling over the head with a single poi.
It was obviously pretty usual because none of the adults there were worried at all.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I'm 15 and I do poi, not with fire though, maybe later, in Febuary when I'm 16. Does anyone see anything wrong with that?

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
at the european there was a freakish eight year old who did really really clean poi. He could also juggle four clubs. Kids are getting into it younger and getting a lot sicker

Viva UGLY STAFF

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
8? I hope that wasn't with fire, I think someone said something about how the fumes could damage their lungs at such an early age, but maybe that was something about fire breathing...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im divided on this one.......

on oneside i say,cool, kids doing good poi, and if they had spotters(either a parent in the crowd or thier mates?)

on the other its like sk8 kids if some one tells them theyll geta cover shot if they mystic flip over 30 stairs then they're so hungry for that theyll do it without thinking!and i hope this new bread of poi-kiddiesare not like that?

did you talk to them?

Step (el-nombrie)

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
I don't think it would be a problem at 16, even at 15. A couple of my friends in Europe have been doin fire poi for a while, and they are like 15 and 16. And! They are pretty good at it. The performed at my school, albeit with electroglo poi and staff, but still they were skilled. I think goin to fire would have to do more with your skill than your age, reasonablly speaking. If you are bad, DONT DO FIRE! If you are good tho, reasonablly skilled, and you think you can handle it, go to fire, just be careful.

Noir_DDELUX

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
It's not necessarily a case of being able to handle it... a child's lungs are still growing and developing and regular exposure to fumes and smoke is probably not a good thing. Considerate smokers tend not to smoke near children, maybe on this point they have the right idea

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Ya but you gotta consider whats a child. 10 years old? thats too young i think. But i mean from what my friends have been doin, they seem fine. We will have to see in mebbe 15 years tho. But ya, i should have said, if you are old enough. I think howeverthat a 15 year old is developed enough to do this sort of thing. I mean im only 17, and I've done it. Hasn't hurt me. But of course, some medical guy should do a study on this. It could be interesting.
Anyone want to write a thesis? Haha

Noir_DDELUX

diabodandymember
3 posts

Posted:
My daughter and I have both just started learning the art. She is 10... I don't have a problem with her lighting her poi on fire at 10... I have a problem with lighting her poi before she is skilled enough to handle it. That may be next year at this time or it might not be until she's 16. It'll happen when she's responsible enough to handle it.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
We had a lad aged about 7 come up at Beautiful Days and ask to be taught staff spinning.

So I spent a good many hours teaching him and, subsequently, his younger sister, his father and his mother too.

One family of converts to staff spinning unleashed on the world.

Unfortunately i got so caught up in the teaching (and a aided by a brain slightly fogged with alkihol) that i forgot to mention that they could come learn stuff at HoP.....nay mind perhaps they'll happen across it on their own.

Meh

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning sine I was 14, and around 14.5 I was spinning fire no problem.

Course my parents are a bit strange. Noting wrong wit that!

Kinudin

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately...The issue of spinnign fire isn't so much focussed on how good a spinner they are, in fact it has nothing to do with it in my opinion.

It's whether 10 year-old children should be playing with fire in ANY way shape or form?

I consider fire to be far more dangerous than a firearm (and I consdier firearms to be pretty damn dangerous!) and would want any child to be 'playing' with a firearm, EVEN under adult supervision.

Using said firearm at a shooting range, with the correct eye and ear protection and strict supervision is different, of course.

A group of 10 year-olds playing with fire at a party is just really scarey to me...

It's not the spinning that is the issue here, it is the FIRE that is the issue...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I dont think age is really the issue. If you take time to teach a 10 year old about the dangers of fire and how to keep themselves safe they should be ok. Of course, the parent(s) should always be their safety and keep a close eye on everything they do. While fire poi can be deadly, when ya do things right, the chances are extremely slim. No matter how old you are. Its all in the mind set IMO.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Damn, here I was thinking this was a thread about spinning kids. Never mind. Go on about your business. Nothing to see here.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Royal...if you think that most ten year-old children truly understand the concept of danger, then your experiences with children must be very different to mine.

Age is not the ONLY issue, but is a factor that affects all the other factors immensely.

I've been involved in a number of areas that deal with children constantly, including doing a lot of children-orientated entertainment. This doens't mean I know everything about kids, but it does mean I am usually right more often than i am wrong in predicting groups of children's behaviour.

And whatever and individual child is taught, that can all go out the window when they are with their freinds or feel they need to impress someone.

I'm not talking about that one-in-hundred kid who gets the danger issues here, I'm talking about the other 99 who don't.

Age does have a bearing on maturity, there are a number of physical development issues surrounding the brain, and social skills (such as overcoming fear of being caught with understanding that the whole house could be burnt down).

Children are, physically, emotionally and socially, more childish than most adults. Thats why the word 'childish' is used! Of course there are exceptions to the rule, with both kids and adults. But, in the vast mojority of cases, the rule sticks pretty well.

Children are not short adults, and this is why they are treated differently to the rest of society, because they ARE truly different...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
We have an 8 year old who twirls fire with us regularly.

He uses single staff and poi. I find that he is actually quite a fast learner. He is in my video in the Video forum.

In terms of safety - he only spins with adult supervision (his mother twirls too).... and we have ear bashed the safety issues with him. I don't consider him to be a risk.

So much fire, so little body hair...

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
Ok, i get that age is an issue with most people here and i agree with you but. what about the idiots(including me ) whom just go stright to fire no questions.

i got burnt pretty bad under my arm, the chain got hooked or the click wraped under my arm, had to dive in the pool to put out the fire. i was nearly 19,

so everyone when a friend wants to try your poi, with fire be a friend and say no but let him do it without for a while. I know this sounds like spoiling some fun but trust me on this one.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I think you'll find most people on HoP would not let their freinds who hadn't practiced use fire poi...I hope..

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Charles is just miffed cos most 10 year olds are taller than him.

Meh

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Kinudin is friggin awesome, I wish I had started spinning when I was his age.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
hehe, I know at least one other person on this forum who has been obsessed with fire since we were kids (7,8,9? ) and used to mess about with fire and fireworks- i found it really quite amusing when I got back from england one day and found that totally independent of each other he was into fire-poi& I was into staff...

luckily we never made any "BIG" mistakes when we were small-

and from this random little anecdote I bring you my line of thought:
kids are going to play with it anyway given the chance, so all one can do is try and put it off for as long as possible and then when it is inevitable make sure they are prepared (I had the saying of "if you play with fire..." drummed into me and got little if any sympathy when I hurt myself playing with it and it worked, sort of...)

-if a little kid wants to spin fire, let them and let them know that you will let them- but only once they know their stuff... (there are always conditions whith parents, but the kids are far more likely to play safe and be prepared if they can do "cool" stuff "legally")

that little kid at the ejc was amazing- and I'm pretty sure he'll become a living legend if he carries on with it- so hooray for him!

so there ya go- my random adult rant of the day

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

RoDuSmember
50 posts

Posted:
i must say i have loved playing with fire since i can remmber but i am glad i never got into fire twirling till i was 16 because there is alot more to spinning fire around your head then burning your dads shed down playing with fire.

I never really burnt it all the way down

well when i out it that way things could go wrong both ways i guess :S.

now i have got my self all cofused

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The party contained many adults who were very drunk and stoned and as far as we could see we were the only adults keeping an eye on them. When one girl wacked herself in the stomach with the poi I was the only one to check.
I am working with a 13 yo old at the moment who I am drumming safety into her with clothing and hair especially. Making sure she has a spotter etc. She manged to wrap the poi around her head and it gave her a huge reality check.
I dont consider myself an expert by any means but it worried me these girls whom seemed the most sober types at the party. They had an icecream container of fuel on a wooden verandah and braided wool as ties. It was a worry.

The other amazing thing was one of the other people at the party picked them up and she was simply grace on legs. Each move flowed into the next. It was startling later when I talked to her and she had trouble standing and talking but man could she spin poi.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Howdy kids, I got a thought to throw in the mix here... First of all, I do respect the reprecussions of a wrapped up chain or a staff caught in the armpit but like alot of you mentioned, with a sober attentive spotter with a wet blanket or anything of the sort and a child with even just a base of skill I see nothing wrong at all... Also I realize that some children are somewhat "short sighted" that is to say that they may not rationalize the consequences of ****ing up, no matter how much youve drilled them, and lets face it... If the kid'll whip metal chains by his/her head with the ends on fire its safe to say that they fall in the no fear category... I could see a six year old twirling. I mean let's face it, I fell out of so many trees, wiped my bike down hills, got in nasty fights and basicaly just ate painful shit all the time when I was a kid and Im sure a few of you were the same... Kids are unbreakable man. Just watch em close...
peace...

ps.... Look at kids who start kung fu or music or skateboarding at age 4.... talented little shits by 10 years old, no?

One Love, Dont forget.

Flameflingermember
27 posts
Location: A mythical continent of fire and brimstone. (Oh an...

Posted:
interesting.
Ive been twirling fire (staff) since christmas when i was 15 (b-day is in may you do the math) and before that i had been practicing withrandom stuff (you know... broom handles!) for about a year. Now im 16 (or so ) and am really getting the feel for staff.
Poi however, is a different kettle of, well, poi. I learned three beat the other day and am steadily getting the hang of butterfly, stuff like that. BUT poi is a shit load more dangerous than staff ive realised. The amount of ways a poi can unexpectedly swing is just perplexing, and fire at ten is freakishly good. However the real problem i have here (and its already been brought up) is the health implications of breathing such noxiious chemicals from such a young age, If they can swing poi like a pro then good for them, but thats really worrying that they have started fire so early. Technically as im still a teen iu shouldnt be using fire - and neither should any of you. Its bad for all of us, but then again so is everything these days, so yeah! I agree with Oaken its healthy for kids to know their limits, and eat shit all the time (not literally !!) but i wonder whether this girl really knew the implications of what she was doing. Because she sure will in ten to twenty years when she cant breath properly...

We are all in the gutter. But some of us are trying to set it alight...You can't be a proper country without a beer. Possibly an airline and a rugby team, but at the very least you need a beer.Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyway

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
heyho

a friend of mine is 12 and he's playing fire devilstick and that quite good . I began fire twirling exactly on my 16. birthdate because then I got my fire staff .

fire is something really amazing , children love to play with it . but it is also important that they know what will happen if they don't care .
my parents let me play as much with fire as I wanted and I really started early playing with that element ( I was about 4 years old )

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
Kids are unbreakable man
Go into a pediatric unit and have a look at the children in there...Kids break, dude, they break a LOT.

Just because you didn't break as a child is no reason to say that others can't.

Then, in the pediatric unit, go into the burns section, and see how many kids have disfigured themselves for life...

I'm not doing this to bum you out, I'm doing this because, even if there is a tiny chance my words on this board can stop just one child from being allowed to do something that could resulkt in disaster, then upsetting 1000 people on this board will be fully worth it.

Seriously, until you have seen a child with serious burns firsthand, you can't even begin to understand how horrible fire can be.

People play with guns too, that doesn't make them a toy...

Fire is not, and never will be, a toy...

(And for once, I am NOT putting "in my opinion" on this post, which is the first time EVER for HoP)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
well said charles........

Step (el-nombrie)

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
My compliments. Very moderat"ish" of you charles... I hear what your saying, very much so indeed. I spent the first three years of my younger brothers life in ICU at childrens hospital in vancouver. he was born very "broken", indeed and I met alot of kids hurt in alot of ways during those times.

Accidents happen every day all over the world but I still stick to my guns that if someone responsible is nearby ready to deal with an emergency, accidents should be mostly avoidable.

No disrespect meant though charles, and I do realize that my insanity as a child is defianatly not recommendable for others, but I still think that most kids can handle a whack with a set of poi or a staff....... I've never had a child though, only younger siblings... perhaps I'll change my tune when it's my own rug-rat begging to bust out moves with flaming steel and kevlar.

One Love, Dont forget.

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
i have perm scars on my hands from burns when i was a child from playing with fire

charls is right

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My son is 8. He is very respectful of what I do and has grown up around it. There is no freakin way I am allowing him to play with fire, and he knows all of the issues, not only for the reasons which Charles has mentioned (which are spot on and well said) but I also want to throw this into the mix.

Having spent much time with respiratory therapists and the like I have learned a thing or two about what the smoke inhalation does to our lungs, and let me tell you, it is not pretty.

Now...go spin your fire for, what was it that was mentioned...2 hours? Once you are done having fun, take note of the cotton mouth from the fumes. How about when you blow your nose and it is black? We are burning hazardous materials and inhaling noxious fumes! Your lungs, as an adult, are fully developed and it has a huge effect on us. Can you imagine what it does to non-fully developed lungs? I was told that in adults the long term effects of spinning can be emphasema (sp???) and asthma. Can you imagine what it can do to children? How cool is permanent lung damage for a child after s/he had been spinning for a few years because it is the new fad thing to do?

Aside from maturity, safety, dealing with fire, there are many health issues that are not even being concidered here.
If the child loves spinning so much, then hand them LED, Day-Glo, non-fire and let them spin for the love of it. When they are old enough and developed enough to handle fire, they will be incredible and fully able to handle it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Page: