Forums > Social Chat > Any firebreathers out there?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Original Pyromember
26 posts

Posted:
Any of use fire breathers or fire eaters cos I wanna meet those kind of people for synchronised fire action. I've tried busking and if u do it right u can earn a serious amount of money, simply cos ure risking serious injury. What an opportunity...!

Take the power back

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Are you ok, Pyro?

You don't seem to be making much sense today? People don't care if firebretahing is dangerous or not, that's a decision for the fireperformer to make.

Maybe it's just been one of those days...sorry if I'm coming across all negative, but this and your last post are starting to worry me.

Take care of yourself, and remember, NO amount of money is worth your health...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
speaking as someone whomm has been there and done it a few times, burnt myself, other ppl, other ppls property, and ended up with toxic poisoning because of it i reackon that if u are going to try it u are a nutter!!!!
cheers
Goose

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There's an article posted here on HoP called "A Season in Hell" . It is about what you are concidering doing and I recommend HIGHLY that you read it. There is alot of information in it. THere is also a Fire Breathing FAQ here you might want to check out.

As for if there are any, sure. And conciderably less since the amount of accident happening seem to be on the rise.
Do a search and you will find more fire breathers and information on the topic than you can shake a torch at.
Overall I am inclined to agree with Charles in thinking this does not sound like something thoroughly thought through.

Regards

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Yes. i'm do a little too much fire breathing but if you are being a little sarcastic i think i understand your drift. I'm currently living near manchester, what's is your plan?
But (don't take this as condecending please) if you think a bit of fire out the mouth and a lot of pounds in the pocket i would recommend you take a step back and look at what you are proposing.
So, please elaborate.

Tennis

'Save a cow, eat a vegetarian'

My cat's breath smells like catfood

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Probably shouldn't write it here but i guess you see all.Just noticed on your post.

CONGRATULATIONS on being a father Charles, spoil your child rotten.

Tennis

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
i have to second that cheif....soo at what age are going to teach them to be like their old man, and play with dangerous substances?

A must know for every young child!!!!

cheers to u!

Goose

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
as i do this for a living, i dont get your point?

what a post, cant understand why its not been deleted....

totally the wrong attitude to fire breathing, but far the most common.
in the real world of fire performance, yeah you may earn more breathing, but you live a lot longer not breathing.

be safe....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Also, why's this in Technical?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Fair enough...moving it to Social...

It hasn't been deleted because I knew you guys would come in and give some helpful advice and stuff that may give him pause for thought....

Hopefully...He doesn't seem to be around much anymore either...and he might be she, so I'll stop babbling and put this in Social....

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I am a school teacher with a student welfare role.

Some of the students I work with have been doing a male self esteem program with some facilitators outside of the school. One of the facilitators is a breather and has mentioned to the students doing his program that he could teach them to breath.!!!!

I have concerns that these kids will not really understand the dangers and health implications of fire breathing.

Can anyone point me to some literature I can give to the kids about the dangers of this art. I have already got Pele's excelent article "A season in Hell".....

So much fire, so little body hair...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There is also a FIre Breathing FAQ, which is kind of like a how to, but in order to get to the how to part you have to read through all the dangers. Print it out and edit it down so that it just encompasses the dangers aspect.

Mephisto on his site www.fyretr.com also has a really good listing of dangers and pains of fire breathing.

Want to take in a list of the death/injury list from the past year with email addresses? There is enough of those around as well.

So is this person offering to teach these children an adult?
There is another way...child welfare. The program wouldn't get shut down but I am most certain that if they are alerted to this man's intentions, they would keep a closer watch on his approach, which he might very well need. Just a thought (and something I would do).

Fire Breathing is not needed for self-esteem. It is not one of those exercises that will build long term self-worth. It does not teach leadership nor team work. It distresses me that it would be brought up in such a capacity.
Though I am preaching to the choir here!
That's be my 2 bits....

Edit for side note* You are south of Malbourne? Oooohhh I intend to be down that end of the globe before the year is out. Let me at those kids. I can show them my scar from my Trach (it's a Keloid and quite icky) and bring my med files for the internal scar tissue I need to have repaired because it is effecting me. Let me at 'em!

Pele

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Hum,

Well to be honest, I love firebreathing. I don't do it all that often but I love the thrill of the danger and I love the looks on people's faces.

I'm fully aware that the paraffin burps, farts, and diarrhoea are the tip of the iceberg, in terms of nasty things entering your blood, but hey, it's fun.

If I see someone doing it dangerously I'll educate them, but there are still far worse things to do on a Friday night.

Magnus... pay it forward

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:

quote:
there are still far worse things to do on a Friday night.

Of course there is, being rushed to hospital with chemical pnuemonia is one of the things that is worse...

Sorry to come down so hard on that, but any firebreathing at all is "doing it dangerously".

I'm not, of course, telling you to stop doing it, just making sure your concept of fun is also balanced by your concept of the risk you are taking.

Everytime you firebreath, that possibility become more and more likely, not less and less likely.

Pele and Dangerboy's experiences, plus dozens of others, have proved that point.

But, if you feel the fun of firebreathing outweighs all the other joys of life, thats entirely your decision......

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Magnus, I absolutely love fire breathing as well, but because I know the risks, I will do my damndest to talk anyone out of it, especially kids, because I don't care what anyone says, they have no business firebreathing until they are old enough to fully understand the ramifications of what they do. I believe this more heartily after I heard about a 14 boy dieing needlessly from fire breathing...with a "coach"!

And I love the myth of "Get Rich Quick on Firebreathing". It's a farce. What else are you going to do and how artfully are you going to do your breathing because the audience does bore of it if you don't throw something in the mix. I know *ALOT* of fire breathers and non-of them are high up in the mansion. Several are doing well, but fb is not all they do. They are *very* skilled acts in several disciplines. Sure you can make money doing it, until everyone in your area has seen it and then what? These kids are better off learning to do one of the many other skills that challenge the mind and body. Those do build self-esteem. There are team and doubles things possible which do build team work and leadership skills. There are alot of "unusual" skills out there which make money, so this is not one that is necessary to learn.

Pele

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
Magnus, I absolutely love fire breathing as well, but because I know the risks, I will do my damndest to talk anyone out of it

Pele, I think you do your damnedest to talk people out of it not just because you know the risks, but because you had an accident.

99.9% of people who firebreathe, even dangerously, get away with it. Some people will do things precisely because there is a risk involved.

Magnus... pay it forward

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Magnus:
quote:
Magnus, I absolutely love fire breathing as well, but because I know the risks, I will do my damndest to talk anyone out of it

Pele, I think you do your damnedest to talk people out of it not just because you know the risks, but because you had an accident.

99.9% of people who firebreathe, even dangerously, get away with it. Some people will do things precisely because there is a risk involved.

sorry about this but i have never read a post that has instantly got me so angry.

Edit:
tho having just re-read i can see that your post is ambiguous and could be read two ways....:

1: that you think the general fire breathing populace is just going to go ahead and breathe no matter what someone says

or 2(this is the angrifying one): that pele is just creating a fuss just because she had an accident...

please clarify

thanks
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

twirlywhirlyfiregirlie (nancy)member
78 posts

Posted:
yes...... please do clarify magnus!
I too see that this post could be read two entirely different ways i just really really hope it isnt the way it comes across!

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I'm not saying Pele is creating a fuss, just that it's understandable that her position (or that of anyone else on HoP) is so anti-firebreathing. Just like people who have bad car crashes often don't drive again.

Magnus... pay it forward

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I get a little muddled as time goes past but if memory serves Pele was was as pedantic about fire breathing before the accident even happened so there's that theory pretty much blown out the water.

Besides accident or no accident, nothing has changed, the risks are the same as they've always been and kids should be talked out of breathing.
In my opinion of course.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Pele- you've mentioned quite a lot of people who've had accidents and several deaths, are these listed anywhere so people can get some perspective on this?

I for one really appreciate that you posted the article on your accident.

I made the decision to focus on non breathing fire arts partially cos I aquired a book called 'fire breathing for the brain dead' which gave instructions for breathing but also made the dangers clear.

This was well before I became aware of accidents like yours, and learning about them just makes my resolution to not fire breathe stronger.

I think a list of accidents would make the dangers clear in peoples minds, some people are disuaded by logic, others by the experiences of others.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
DeepSoulSheep is perfectly correct. Go bring up any old thread before my accident about fire breathing and I was the first person to tell people not to do it. I have ALWAYS been very active and vocal in my dissent for others to take it up. Have you read the FAQ on fire breathing? Where you have to sign in to get to the actual reading of it? I wrote that too, including the dangers, loooooong before my accident. I have NEVER taken a stand in support of taking up fire breathing, and have always said I was stupid to do so.

OneWheeledDave, there is no official list as it is one of those things that is handed through performer to performer. Since my accident I have received more emails than ever about accidents around the world, which is why I have been able to take stock of it.
The reason I wrote the article, other than at the request of others, is because there is so incredibly little out there about the injuries.

Magnus, accidents happen alot more than the 99.9% safe of the time "statistic" you posted and if you can not support that percentage then you should not use it as it is so disgustingly misleading. We have always known when an accident happens, but no one ever went really in depth about it. Some because they want it behind them. Some because they are afraid it will lower their peer performers opinions of them, or hurt their chances in getting a job. And that is all well and good, and truthfully fears that I had/have....but so many people asked so they could be better armed than merely having a list of dangers. It was this overwhelming feeling of social obligation for me.
With these, and many of the adrenalized hobbies, the more we do it the more there is a feeling of immortality and being above or beyond reprocussion. That is simply not so.
If you would like I will try to come up with a list, macabre as it might be, if you think it will help.

Edit for PS: Thanks all for sticking up for me!
Edit for PS: Wanting to make an apology to onewheeleddave, so I entered in appropriate names to properly credit statemtent

[ 26. August 2003, 03:04: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
Hi.....I'm not HeadSwim btw, but his g/f (I also spin).....but I just had to post on this thread. A very long time ago when I was a kid, my sister was in a high school production of Circus Boy, the school had circus performers come and teach the kids various skills, 2 boys were taught to breath fire....they stood outside on the opening nite whilst people arrived. Obviously at the time I thought nothing of it, but since getting into fire spinning and coming here and reading about the dangers of fire breathing, I've thought back and realised how irresponsible the whole thing was.....It's kinda hard to believe....

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Pele,

Thanks for the tips.

The breather is in fact an adult yes. He claims to have been breathing for about 20 years. He is not going to teach people to breath as part of the self esteem course, he was doing a demonstration and he memntioned to some of the kids that he could teach them. (not officially)
As I have no control over these kids I just want to try and educate them.

Will distribute a printed 'Evils of breathing' to each of them.

Thanx Pele.... and yep I am South of Melbourne. Just next to Phillip Island.

So much fire, so little body hair...

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I am a fire breather and will never say i'm fully aware of the risks i'm taking because for anyone to say that, no matter how 'experienced' they are must be untrue.
I don't know whether the joy i get from fire breathing outweighs the pain i could go through tomorrow or in ten , twenty or thirty years.
To me fire breathing is not done because it is dangerous nor because it is prestigious in the fire performers world but simply because i'm playing with an element. I personally find that mindblowing
One thing i am sure of is that every person who has dabbled in this art has done so for different reasons, and has looked for a different feeling during and after the breathe. Another conclusion i have personally drawn is that because of this i will NEVER encourage nor discourage anyone who wants to or does fire breathe. it is not my place.
If they want to firebreathe in windy areas or drunk or intoxicated in other ways or recklessly in any way i just hope they have thought that the joy they are having in the present time is worth the potential pain that could be faced in the future. If they have not considered this then they and they alone should look at what they are doing. In my opinion no one else can do this for them.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:

OneWheeledDave, there is no official list as it is one of those things that is handed through performer to performer. Since my accident I have received more emails than ever about accidents around the world, which is why I have been able to take stock of it.
The reason I wrote the article, other than at the request of others, is because there is so incredibly little out there about the injuries. It happens alot more than 99.9% of the time and if you can not support that percentage then you should not use it as it is so disgustingly misleading.....
If you would like I will try to come up with a list, macabre as it might be, if you think it will help.

I'm not sure from your post whether you're attributing the '99.9%' quote to me?

Just wanted to make it clear that it is nothing to do with me and that I would never post such a figure as I have no idea of the statistics.

As for the list, I really do think it would be a great idea and I see nothing macabre about it at all.

Some people (me for one) are influenced by actual incidents more than rational arguments to not do something. The reason I wear a helmet for unicycling and cycling these days is because I know of people who've died from head injuries.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Tennis...I agree with you that there can be any number of reasons why people have "dabbled in this art".

However, one of the main reasons some people CONTINUE to do it is for, in my opinion, the worst possible reason of all

quote:
u do it right u can earn a serious amount of money
Unfortunately, especially amongst those who don't know of the risks becuase no=one has shown them, this is one of the most common reasons of all.

I try to passively discourage every firebreather I find out about, by explaining what I know about it, telling them all the bad stuff and the only common reason they give for continuing to do it is "but I NEED the money".

Depending on how well we have got on during the discussion, I sometimes ask them if they would be willing to prostitute themselves for similar amounts of money.

Not yet, out of a dozen or so of these situations, have they ever said yes (except for jokes about $1 000 000 figures).

So clearly, they didn't NEED the money as much as WANT the money...

Life's is a funny old thing, huh?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
OneWheeledDave, I was not attributing that "statistic" to you and I apologize for making it seem as such. Please note that I went back and editted the post to address Magnus directly!

As for the list, I think that would take some time.

Charles, here is another point to make...it is not alot of cash, it is quick cash and there is a distinct difference. Have people try to name one Fire Breather who is sitting pretty right now based souly on his/her Fire Breathing skill. It can not be done.
Even Guy Laliberte (of Cirque du Soliel fame) stilt walked and fire breathed realized he couldn't do that forever and ventured out. And is the quick money worth it when the breather will be doling out 3 times what they would have made to the hospital? It's all relative.

Now, I went to a Ren Faire yesterday as a patron and ran into some performers I hadn't seen in awhile. A fellow firie recently had a fire breathing accident that is a new one to me.
She was in a nightclub and did a "textbook" fire breath. The club air conditioning vents took over and blew the plume back at her (a blowback of a different sort). She managed to escape facial injuries but she was wearing chainmaille with nothing underneath. She has little ringlet burn scars all over her chest from the metal burns that resulted.
Just thought it would be interesting for you all to hear about that, as it was for me.

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Here's another one for ya! Stupid fool!

https://www.wral.com/news/2401878/detail.html

Pele

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:

'you just cant walk around the city playing with fire'

or similar...

won't be going there then.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bluecat:

'you just cant walk around the city playing with fire'

He was in his backyard, though it said he lived in a trailer so if it were in a trailer park, wouldn't playing unsafely with fire there be akin to a tornado and how they always seem to love wiping out trailer parks?

Anyway, this story illustrated a few things. How not to go about fire breathing. What fuel not to use. How not to deal with the authorities. And that evidentally this man didn't make oddles of money fire breathing.
It's alot of what not to do's but hey...at least it can be learned from!

Pele

Page: