touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hey poi people. I`m sorry to steal your attention like this but I feel I have some important things to say. I have been doing poi for a year and a half now, and have found it has made an improvement on my life. My best friend showed me the way of the jedi (fire poi) and our relationship has been lovely. I have opened up my logical thought, opened up my dance (thought it would never happen) and most importantly gained friendship. I have used many types of poi/glowsticks/staff/fire/l.e.d`s and have enjoyed them all. I share my skills in parks, raves, gardens, clubs, streets or anywhere open enough. My point being, poi is a beautiful thing to do, and generally the people are too. So there should not even be the slightest bit of tension/harshness/negativety/ or disclusion on this board or between anybody in general. And there is no saying there isn`t, because I have experienced it myself! All I want from this site is to make friends, learn and teach moves, and maybe have a pleasant chat once in a while. Is that too much to ask? If so you`ll all lose out on new people coming to chat and share. If not it would be my pleasure to share all I can with you all, and I`m sure others will too. basically all the poi people I have met have been wonderful and I`m sure you all are too. be real, be nice, and respect the idea of equality!I hope this doesn`t offend anyone, as it is not meant to. And I would love for you all to put your opinions down here. And please don`t let my lack of posts influence your reply.And when you write plur add a p on the end for poi, add your name, and mean it.P.L.U.R.P Tony touch

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I dont think thats too much to ask.Josh

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I would go on and on about how cool everything you said was but I think I'll just say this:Word.P.L.U.R.P. N8------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
touch - if I wasn't partially a tree-huggin-hippie-idealist, I'd accuse you of being one! winkI agree with what you say, but in (virtual) reality it's always a little different... I guess we need to come to terms with the fact that with 3hundredandsomething registered members, not everyone will share the same opinions/ideals/personalities and clashes will arise. We just need to be open about it and deal with issues as they rear their heads.Makes for a lively BB, if nothing else!There's nothing wrong with a bit of conflict, so long as no one gets injured. Conflict breeds change. Change is good. (yes, yes I know there are other ways to create change, but we can talk about that later if you need) smilePeace, Respect.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I agree with you Touch. Ive found that poi is a bridge between worlds. Its a great way for strangers to feel comfortable in dropping part of their wall of defenses and let their spirit shine. PLURP Shibaki wink------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I've met some of the most awesome people that inspire me, both poi and non-poi just through learning to play with fire. But again I have to be brutally honest and say most of the fire twirlers I have met (predominantly female) have been horrible to me for no reason at all. I'm learning to let it be like water off a duck's back - but at first it was very hard for me to come to terms with it. Why? I still don't know the answer. It did feel like a slap in the face when I'm bringing nothing but great enthusiasm, love, curiosity - hell I felt like I was almost in grade one again with happiness. And these people returned my friendliness with coldness and negative vibes. To the point where it's made me more cautious about people (again, females mostly) that twirl fire. That's not to say I'm not friendly - I just don't put much stock in it anymore if they don't want to discuss twirling with me or even look twice. Then again, its doubly fantastic when I meet someone who does! Like most of the people on here smile Thanks to all who keep it real still - you're the machinery that keep the world going.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I've met some of the most awesome people that inspire me, both poi and non-poi just through learning to play with fire. But again I have to be brutally honest and say most of the fire twirlers I have met (predominantly female) have been horrible to me for no reason at all. I'm learning to let it be like water off a duck's back - but at first it was very hard for me to come to terms with it. Why? I still don't know the answer. It did feel like a slap in the face when I'm bringing nothing but great enthusiasm, love, curiosity - hell I felt like I was almost in grade one again with happiness. And these people returned my friendliness with coldness and negative vibes. To the point where it's made me more cautious about people (again, females mostly) that twirl fire. That's not to say I'm not friendly - I just don't put much stock in it anymore if they don't want to discuss twirling with me or even look twice. Then again, its doubly fantastic when I meet someone who does! Like most of the people on here smile Thanks to all who keep it real still - you're the machinery that keep the world going.------------------The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hey , Splat, who on earth did you meet ???I, as a female, feel sorry for this coldness you felt cause so far, I must say the few spinners / jugglers I met had a shine that was seen from miles away and really really brought happiness to my heart ! this is also what I feel here, and I've only been on the BB for a few days...Truth is, there are "bad vibes" just about everywhere and The world of spinners is just like any world... I must admit I had the same feeling against males when I started with martial arts some 8 years ago, but in a way it is healthy to not idealize anything, makes you see the beauty with more enthousiasm when it comes your way, cause you know its value !!!Shine on, Splat !Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Glad you said what you did, hon, but I'm really not sure why you felt the need to..are people getting nasty on this board or something? Maybe I'm just not paying attention.I'm continually amazed by the not just the talent and great spirit on this board, but by the cameraderie and general sense of cooperation. I haven't really seen any venom, aside from general philosophical disagreeing on technical points or social issues.Love to all,-protie

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
I have only been spinning poi for 6 months or so now but i do find it is a great form of expression, and my friends say i'm learning quickly (got behind my back after a couple of months) it helps on the social side of things too, a great talking point at festivals and people are really amazed when they see it too. .. peace smile

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
<> I luv you guys...<>...."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain