Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Drug Free Spinning.

Over the years I've noticed that a lot of people associate spinning with drugs and clubbing; recently I've had a few discussions with spinners who, like me, don't take drugs or go to clubs.

They have said pretty much the same thing, that a lot of the spinners they encounter seem to assume that they're into drugs and clubs.

I wanted to post this thread to open up some kind of discussion on 'clean spinning', primarily so spinners who are drug free, or thinking of becoming so can be made aware that there are plenty of us out there who don't feel the need to take drugs.

When you're young or a student, as many who are attracted to poi are, it's very easy to find yourself in an environment where drug taking is seen as the norm and where to be clean is associated with being dull, unadventurous, fearful or boring.

Drugs are, by their nature, far easier to get into than to get out of, not just because of the addictive nature of the substances, but also because of the social groups that become based around the aquisition and consumption of the substances.

From experience I know that drug taking is like a maze with very few exits; even when you know that you no longer want to be inside it, it can take years of searching until you find your way out.

Here I'm talking about all drugs, including tobacco.

I wanted to raise this subject in the hope that those of us who are ex/non drug takers can post their opinions and offer hope to others who are in a dilema.

I have tried to not put down drug users in this post because I don't want it to turn into a pro/cons of drug taking thread; Malcolm has made it quite clear that he doesn't want illegal drugs promoted on this site.

So, if you are of the opinion that drugs are good, please don't ruin this thread by posting pro drug arguments.

Similarly, if you despise drugs, please don't post opinions that are likely to incite pro druggists to respond.

However, if you are an ex drug taker who has, like me, discovered that a life without drugs is not only bearable, but infinitly richer than a life with them, or if you are someone who hates what you are putting into your body but feel that you can't escape; then feel free to post your experiences/advice.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Personally i drink socially (and being a university student where nightlife pretty much resolves around bars/pubs) generally in excess, but i only drink if i like the place and people there, not to mask the fact that i'm in a really shit club with squadies and cheesy music. During the holidays I hardly drink at all and don't miss it. I don't smoke cigrettes. I occassionally smoke cannabis, again socially and i only buy it when i'm going somewhere like a festival, not to just sit and smoke at home. I have too many stoner friends to wanna start smoking them like fags

As far as fire spinning goes, i treat it like driving. Because it depends on concentration to do, I personally wouldn't feel safe (well i probably would, but i wouldn't actually be ) spinning whilst intoxicated beyond the uk driving limit. When i started i didn't drink/smoke at all when spinning. These days, now that i'm a lot better and seldom hit myself (other than intentionally) I often have a couple of bottles of beer and the odd spliff during the evening before it goes dark.

I have no problems with hard drugs or people that use them, if i did then i wouldn't have a lot of the friends that i do, who despite being criminals in the eyes of the law truely are really nice people. I'm pro legalisation of many drugs, not because i want to take them but because i know my friends will use them whether they are or not, and i'd rather they be taking something which is exactly what it claims to be, in the correct quantity.

My reasons for not taking hard drugs are personal, mainly based around the fact that i've had some good friends in the past who were coke adicts and completely screwed over their's and the people around them's lives. I guess I just don't really see them as being a recreational play thing. I also like keeping a clear mind/logical thought process and as my religion discourages their use i have no problems going without.

I'm glad there's others who choose to do the same, for years I've been going clubbing and been the only person not using. It's nice sometimes to have someone sobar to chat to at 5am, or know at least one of the people watching you spin fire is capable of putting your out if you go up in flames, not just watch the purdy patterns

twirlywhirlyfiregirlie (nancy)member
78 posts

Posted:
hi dave will be good seein you again once we r back!
myself and pk have worked with alot of different fire performers in alot of different environments and out of them all prefer too work in a drug fuelled environment we find the crowds much more apprecitative and "into" the stuff we are doing then beer drinkers they tend to be more aggresive and fiesty lookin for a fight rather than a good time!
i personally dont take drugs..have done...but not anymore not my bag baby i agree with you we occasionally get asked for drugs if people se us spinning in clubs hahahah especially pk he always gets asked its become a running joke...each to their own

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
In the Quebec city, a good part of the twirling community that I've met so far are consumers of some sort; that is, they tend to perfom enhibriated or under the effects of marijuana or mescaline.
Because the gatherings are with fire, more often than not, I feel that this is unsafe. On a few occasions, some of the fire breathers weren't paying much attention and thegas that didn't get burned fell on the drummers and their drums. Some people where lighting-up near the fuel, some decided to twirl outside of designated areas, some of the fire dancers were so self absorded they backed-up into eachother.
I'm not saying that all drug consumers do the same, I'm just saying that it makes for a relatively unsafe environment when excess is mixed with fire.
The safety problems have been mostly dealt with, thanks to an increased number of safety people on site who make sure fundamental rules are applied.
I'm not going to speak for or against drug-use in general: I myself smoke on occasions when I can't figure out a move, then I try it again to see if a different perspective will change my undestanding of the physics of it. And most of the time it does the trick... (Now I can do the WW, but I stil can't figure out the reverse weave - oh well)
Anyways, to those of you who consume, try not o let it affect those around you, and all will be good.

[ 22. August 2003, 02:41: Message edited by: soldari ]

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
For me (Not a heavy toker or drinker) I find that "straight spinning" is much better in terms of learning moves and teaching etc.
If I'm performing or at a spin-meet I'll smoke a bit as I find it much more "involving" and you can really lock into your spin. It's also good for stage fright.
However you can get really focussed spinning straight and many of my best spins were when I hadn't done anything. Messing around on a beach or in the snow for example.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

cRYstalWavemember
40 posts
Location: from the fiery heart of the british isles.(that be...

Posted:
Ok so we have quite a topic starting here.....for those of you who have not 'met' me yet i am fairly new to HOP website.....but finding it really interesting to read all of your views on life n spinning........

This topic in particular drew my attention cus as a festival go-er(and worker) i have encountered this penny from both sides!...........

I don't really feel the need to be elaborate in telling all of you the in's and out's of my experiences but i will say this.........

This year i have encountered true 'spiritual spinning': what i mean from this is that for me...(Personally-that is [me] not sayin what is right or wrong...life is the individuals choice after all..though i need not reitorate that i guess....) i felt/feel when i spin i am grounded and from that i become lifted???(Is this all making sense???) - I feel it's a meditation that can take you to the extremities of a natural high......ok ok so this all sounds a little new age.....but it's true......Poi has done wonders for me and all those i have taught since........

Poi.....the spinning of balls but not the mind!!!!.....

Anyway, i guess my points been made........
And to all those out there who feel the same.....cool!......and to all those who don't......cool!.....just carry on livin life right and good things happen.....
Love+Light .....-x-x-

...........The most inspiring thing that anyone has ever said to me was........Life is nothing without dreams..... or was it life's too short to eat pistachio's????

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
cRYstalWave i totally get what u mean, for me one of two things happens when i spin fast, either i dont have to put much effort in and everything else dims out and im just aware of the fire and it all feels very natural and rythmic, or im concentrating to hard on moving and i cant let my focus float elsewhere.

personally i dont take any form of drugs, some of the spinners i know are into drugs but when we twirl they come straight as we do it in a very public area. since we have started spinning there with the drug free environment there have been many more twirlers coming out which has been wicked. each unto their own so long as it harms no other.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'm sure Robert Heart is on some kind of substance

cRYstalWavemember
40 posts
Location: from the fiery heart of the british isles.(that be...

Posted:
Ben-ja-men.......glad you know where i'm coming from.....began to believe i was talking from my bottom!!!...... it great to hear things are going well for you n troop down under......you never know one day, when i overcome my fear of large flying objects....and travel......and when i have enuf money.......... maybe i'll come find you spinners in the outback!!!!...until next time.......
Love Love LOVE!!!

...........The most inspiring thing that anyone has ever said to me was........Life is nothing without dreams..... or was it life's too short to eat pistachio's????

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
on the issue of drugs and spinning at the same time, i think most people would agree its not a good idea, especially with fire
lots of caffeine though.... could be interesting hehehe

spideymember
46 posts

Posted:
Does your pool really improve after 5 pints?
Are you really better spinner after 3 sliffs?

It can kind of feel that way at the time, but I reckon the answer is probably no.

- S

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I agree with what frostypaw said... it's a personal decision. What this thread should be about is not the relative benefits or problems in taking drugs in the scene, but just letting people know that it's ok not to take drugs.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I have long since become used to backpackers and tourists asking me where to get drugs from when I'm busking or after a performance.

It's truly amazing, as this tends to happen almost any time i spin in a public place. Originally, I thought it was purely because of the firedancer stereotype.

Now, after actually asking a number of these people what made them feel I might have that knowledge, very few of them told me it was because of my fire spinning.

I now believe it is also heavily influenced by my friendly manner and the ease at which I interact with the crowd, the fact that I am busking and appear to be a local.

What I learned about myself as I came to this realisation, is that even I, one of the straightest spinners I know, was unconsciously projecting the "spinners do drugs" onto my situation. Is this anology so strong that even those who are the exceptions still think in stereotypes?

Looking back it makes me laugh that I was blindsided by something so inherent to my concept of myself.

Looking objectively at this since then, glowsticking (in NZ at least) seems to have an even stronger association with drugs. But now I feel that is simply an association it shares with clubbing and ravers.

The fact that it is still a 'relatively' niche pastime, the associations of exposure (say 300 people in aclub see a guy spinning glowsticks) will mean we will always have these preconceptions.

Personally the preconceptions themselves are annoying, but they are also a direct result of spinning being an uncommon pastime. something which i am honest about to say that I enjoy.

If everyone did it, I know it wouldn't have the same passion or ability to entertain in which I currently use it. I have no doubt I would still spin, but doubt it would be a reasonable part of my income.

So, I'm pleased that this drug association is there, not as something i'm happy about, but as an indicator of another, important aspect of my pastime that I am happy to remain the same for as long as possible.

Does anyone undersatnd that?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok...............im 20, a guy, @ uni living in both big city and lil town!

and i DONT drink! DONT smoke! DONT take drugs, and DO have a social life! i dont do it by choice, i just like to go out with my mates, spinning or not, and they can have a drink, or lots andsmoke or what ever, but i know that if i was drunk and something happened to them, i would never forgive my self, so i get them to txt when they are home safe soi dont worry about them!

ok...so i know i sould like a control freak, but thats not when it is, i enjoy myself when i go out loads, but i just lik eto make sure my mates are ok

it spersonal choise, i dont look down at ppl who smoke, i dont care if you have a drink, or have a spliff, ut when its higher drugs, then ill be annoyed, but hey their lifes, i just do my thing, and i live on!

later days guys

Step (el-nombrie)

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
One of the best fire spinning experiences I've had, was at a warehouse rave earlier this year. Myself and some young lads did some fire and glowstick spinning for the 400 or so people that were there that night.

We had a brilliant time. None of us were on anything (and I have a zero drug intake anyway). What I liked most about it was, come three or four oclock in the morning, I'm still spinning, absolutely full of energy and having an amazing time, people start coming up to me, asking me "thats amazing, what are you on!?" to which my response was always an overly jubuilant "NOTHING!" and a massive grin on my face. Most of the ravers just didnt know how to take it, they were very surprised. I'd like to think that perhaps someone saw that, and realised, hey! That chick is having a brilliant time, she's not on anything and she's still dancing after seven hours straight!

Come seven/eight oclock, I'm still dancing through the shuffling crowd with my flags. They were all coming down, mostly grumpy, some feeling pretty shite, but I was still getting asked, "what are you on?". I can bet you I slept alot better than any of those ravers that day!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

spideymember
46 posts

Posted:
Wow, Flynt! I am impressed! Half an hour and I'm done for!

You're right, though, it is a seriously good feeling, that "natural high". (This morning, I was wishing I'd been on one of those last night!! )

- S

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
speaking as an ex smoker of weed (3 years in total, absolutly wrecked every night for the last 1 1/2) i'd say that whilst some people could argue the whole "expierence" of spinning whilst on your faverate narcotic may be quite immersfull and intricute in levels you wouldn't have felt or seen when sober, doing it with fire, or even without , is just plan ****ing crazy. tried it once and realised, with minimum damage thankfully, that it really wasnt a good idea. speaking for those of us who realise the beauty of the natural high from dancing and spinning at gigs/ raves etc.... its a million miles better then anything you can buy, simply because you know without a doubt that your atcualy feeling it, rather then having something make it feel real for you.

drugs in general though, whilst offering a range of ideas and feelings that reality cant touch, the long term after affects are brutal... its one thing hearing sories about dark trips and stuff... its another thing to meet people who cant come down years after they took just 1 pill/tab/whatever too many.

remember kids, drugs are bad.... sometimes.....

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Flynt and FunkyMonkey, I'm glad you've experienced the natural highs that come when you're drug free.

In the three years since I cut them out of my life I've experienced more happiness than in all the rest of my life; in retrospect I can see how drugs, negativity, smoking, depression all feed off of and support each other.

The highs I get now are not available on demand (but then the drug highs were inconsistent anyway, if I'm being honest much of the time I found the experience indifferent or bad) but far better than anything from a substance.

I'm glad you guys are posting such positive stuff cos there's so much social/peer pressure and promotion of drugs/alcohol these days, most of which is lies or exaggeration; it's time the value of being free of drugs was equally talked about and promoted.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
to be honest, I've never understood the drug scene or wanted to take part in it.

I love my body. its screwed up in its own way, but I appreciate it enough not to feed it bad stuff.

I get such a rush doing everything on a normal blood content, that I havent ever "needed" or wanted to try altering it! When I have a good night out, I know that its because I'm creating natural endorphins and my body is letting me know its having a great time! Why would I need drugs? Hell no, baby! I've got adrenaline! Naturally produced Happyness!

After ten and a half hours dancing and spinning at that rave, I was completely content. Almost everyone around me was nursing a 'comedown'... Poor buggers!

iopmember
35 posts

Posted:
IMHO drugs are fun but when i spin i prefer not to be incapacitated with them.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Actually Flynt it was more like 800 people at the 'Hyperactive' wharehouse gig.

You were amazing - you still had energy so late in the piece without any enhancements. I still remember you being concerned about the amout of young people (under 18) who had quite obviously had too many illicits - the bugged out eyes being the main clue. I remember lots of people asking you what you had been taking too - cos how could you be so bubbly and full of energy - and the shock on their faces when you said 'nothing'.

Personally I don't have the strength that Flynty has, I do tend to get a little altered at Raves. But I never spin fire when in an altered state - save that for my electroglos.

Back to the point of the thread..... I don't associate fire twirling with drug users. In the same way I don't associate flora and fauna conservation with drug users, or dreadlocks with drug users, but this certainly doen't mean that they are never associated.

I think it's called stereotyping

So much fire, so little body hair...

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
People wonder why glowsticks are considerd paraphonalia, it is because of the steriotype, dont believe me, read the above posts.

I dont do drugs, I drink ocasionally, and I have in my life bought at most 2 packs of smokes for myself. Smoking is just too expensive to do, and I have a low run time to begin with, I dont need tobacco's help.

Drugs arnt needed for me, I dont get a supper rush anymore and I doubt I can spin for 10-12 hours strait, my attention span just isnt that big.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I agree with Flynt, there is such a rush from just preforming for people and the most I've ever done is family and friends. I've got some very anti drug views, but there's no need to rant here.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
800??? serious?? WICKED! cant wait for the next one!

I always figure that people are best led by example. I really hate the drug culture, I dont tell people off for it tho, its not my place. Instead, I choose to show people that you can have a wicked time without that sort of stuff..

My fave conversation at raves:
"what are you ON girl?"
Me: 'nothin!'
"serious? like, how??"
Me: 'ahh I just like to have fun, I'm like this all the time!'
"no way... serious? wow..."

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a completely hyperactive person by nature. I dont have adhd or any disorder that makes me jump about alot. I'm a complete SLUG when it comes to your average weekend.

I just take good care of myself, so when it comes to an all nighter, i HAVE that energy to burn, and damn its worth it...

the rave finished at 8 am, and I didnt get to bed till 11am. Got up at four after a nice sleep, spent the rest of the day bumming around, cleaning my house and just chilling... Right as rain the very next day for work. Again, i'd hate to think what those who were coming down off something, went through and how they felt Monday A.M.

LIFE! go out there and get it!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Its weird, in high school there was so much pressure to try stuff to be cool. I was a total nerd then.

Now I am 24, I have friends with names like Flash, Dangerboy, & Brainstorma. Most of my friends from other walks of life consider me to be unbearably alternative and cool . I am immersed in what is one of the more prolific drug scenes in Sydney Society, in fact most of my friends have at some stage imbibed a little too much, and some really hard stuff too. And yet I rarely ever feel pressure to take anything. In fact people admire me for knowing my body well enough to know what I can and cannot take.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Hello, my name is Raph and I'm a spinner.

I don't do drugs and very rarely drink, but thats me.
Everybody has the right to do or not do whatever he or she wants provided nobody else is hurt in the process.

The moving meditation side of fire spinning would be altered dramatically for me if I did drugs. Some experiences shouldn't be altered.

(Besides, in Europe they "roll" a joint by mixing weed with tobacco from a normal cigarette! When I was in high school it was pure bud. No wonder people globally are more unhappy these days! )

Raph

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I'm another Flynt! I don't smoke, drink or take drugs, and I'm still perfectly capable of having a fantastic time when I'm out

I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine, too, so if I do get tired a pepsi will fix that no problem (but not red bull or anything, or I shake...
Non-Https Image Link
)

The best part, if I stay up all night, is that I get 'overtired' around 7.30/8am and get hyper all over again Although, I haven't done this in quite a while... hope I'm not getting soft in my old age

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
So how many of you who don't take drugs look down on those who do? This thread is about the opposite, but it seems like there's a fair bit of discrimination (at least in terms of attitude if not action) the other way as well...

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I don't.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
So I may be getting discrinated against because other poeple feel I am discriminating against them because I don't take drugs to enjoy my spinning?

This is great debateing!

One thing that is very hard not to do, when one feels they are being discriminated against, is to pidgeon-hole/stereotype those who appear to be doing the discriminating.

In fact, the stupid thing is, I'm doing it myself now, to the nth degree Isn't human nature hilarious!

But, as direct result of discrination myself, for I feel, whether founded or not, that I am included in this group that has been suggested that ...

quote:
it seems like there's a fair bit of discrimination (at least in terms of attitude if not action) the other way as well...

I've scanned through most of the thread, and hopefully without too much 'selfrighteousness', cannot find any comment as specific as the one i have quoted above...

Spiralx, I am at a bit of a loss where your statement came from, though i may also be clouding my own judgement in this case.

Could you elaborate further please?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
It's not anything particularly strong, but there are posts here talking about polluting your body, how spinning straight is "more natural" and so on... so I was wondering whether this was a reverse discrimination.

But I wasn't sure, hence me asking the question rather than just charging in al guns blazing

Page: