Page:
DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking that I should start donating blood. For a long time I've felt that I'm obgliated to but I'm lazy and I don't like needles and I forget to feel bad most of the time. I (or my future children/wife) may count on someone elses blood to save my/their life but I've given nothing....

Should I be ashamed? Do you donate blood? Are you against the idea of giving your blood to someone else?

It's so easy the place you do it is 5 minutes walk from my desk. I know there's always a shortage no matter where in the world. I believe (maybe incorrectly) you get paid to do it in America? What's the story? Tell me it's easy peasy, go on, please.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i give blood, only have done once tho coz im only just 17 but it feels great to be helping someone else with something so vitally important.

Im definitely going to be doing it regularly!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I give blood, we should give blood, giving blood is good. I don't go as often as I could though.

I'm not sure how it works on a spiritual level. It's possible that taking anothers blood in your veins is bad karma, or something.

However on a purely social level; there's no doubt it saves lives. Having a pint removed is also very cleansing.

Magnus... pay it forward

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
There are a lot of restrictions on who can give blood and when, and theres some intensive screening you have to go through to give it.

This is the basic UK Blood donor society quiz bit...
Blood Donor Quiz

I do feel bad about not having given any yet, but I know I did't meet one of the criteria. So it's not so much I did't want to, more I haven't been able to.

I can now and I do intend to give, like you said Sheep, I might be needing someone elses at some point...

And well you get a biscuit and a cup of tea at the end!

PsyB.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
You used to get a pint of Guinness in Ireland!!

Thanks for the reminder DSS - there is a place in the city nearby where I can go down and give blood so thanks for the reminder.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
this is something i feel very passionate about. ive given blood as often as i can for a few years now - usually every ten weeks if i can make it.

putting it bluntly, health conditions aside, there no bloody reason why you shouldnt [no pun intended]. i hate when people say 'id do it but i just dont have time!'
i dont give a shit about their schedule!
when they are lying on the operating table, they arent going to say 'sorry, i really have an important meeting to go to, can i reschedule my triple heart bypass?'
or
'sorry, i dont like needles - can i skip the morphine?'

it takes about 1 hour for the entire donation. 1 HOUR!!!! are you saying you cannot spare 1 hour every ten weeks?!! how much time do you spend on HoP a week?

[sorry, not attacking deepsoulsheep or anyone personally here, this is a general rant about the topic].

i cant remember the precise figure, but i seem to recall that some major surgery requires 40 odd blood donations [mike!! any figures to help me here?] its something so fast, relatively painless, and a gift so beneficial. you dont like needles? then dont look. you can turn your head away and not look at your arm for 10 mins surely. you can certainly feel it, but i wouldnt say it hurts!

right...thats enough seriousness. ill revert back to silly random comment.posting!

btw....dont even start me on organ donation....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i would donate my organs... but i kinda need them at the moment... but i will when i die!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I can't give blood.. lots of kidney problems when I was a kid.. and now I find out you have to wait 12 months after a tattoo or a piercing.. never knew that.. well deffo can't give blood now.. as I get my tatts redone at least once every 18 months..

still got a little card somewhere that says they can use anything that is salvagable upon my demise..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
oh, and the needle thing, it's nothing, don't worry about it.

Magnus... pay it forward

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Let's see...I have a donor card. I also have a living will with specific instructions that if (gods forbid it) my son and I should go at the same time, that he also be a donor.

I can not give blood any longer, but have a couple of times in the past. (My anemia got worse after I had my son). I have a friend who donates as often as he possibly can.

In the US they only pay for the rarest type of blood, which is always in need. My dad has it and will not donate, and that infuriates me. However, you do get juice and cookies. *shrug*
Not all blood types are always in need, btw. There is alot of common types that get tossed as it can only be kept for so long. My friend who works the Red Cross talked to me about that.

If you don't like needles, ask for the most skilled person to take it from you. Then usually you get someone who is awesome at placement and you don't really feel it.

How about putting it in this perspective DSS...you are in an accident and need blood but are told that because you never gave blood, you can only receive it when everyone else who has given got their share first? It would suck but I bet you would donate then. It seems that is how you feel to some degree anyway so use it to motivate you. Nothing bad can really come of it, you know?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

siliconslavemember
36 posts

Posted:
Yes! good point - go give blood as soon and as often as you can!!
Last time i gave was a couple of months ago b4 i finished uni, will need to find where they hold them at home but its all worth while, its not like i can't make more and there is some-one somewhere in the country that needs that pint a load more than i do so go for it and feel like your making a difference:angel:

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
fp..I have to say that fisrt, are you serious? If you are a gay male they don't let you donate? I don't think those rules are the same everywhere as I know here if it is blood, they take it. They do run tests on it before they put it in the lot for donation, HIV is one of them.

And the reasoning of promiscuity drives me nuts. I know a few straight people who make all the gays I know look like virginal angels! But their blood would be taken because they are straight, or is it that you have to list how many people you slept with in the past year?

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I know the UK had a big deal a long time ago where they managed to infect some haemophiliacs (or was it sickle cell anemia(sp) sufferers?) with HIV due to bad test results on donated blood.

but I can't agree with disregarding a fair section of the comunity who can give blood very safely just because of their prefered sexual orientation.

Plus testing methods for HIV and related diseases are, I beleive, (you'd have to ask a doctor?) a lot better these days...

It's that society knee jerk reaction again...

PsyB.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
quote:
but I'm lazy and I don't like needles and I forget to feel bad most of the time
I'm probably no less fond of needles than anyone else really, I just went for the stereotypical excuses people usually come up with.

What's put me off until now was when I had blood tests years ago and they took 3 of those tiny little tubes. I stood up and went to the bathroom, went to the toilet and nearly fell over. It was like my vision suddenly shrunk from the outside in with this yellowish haze, sounds wierd but my legs went all wobbley and I was completely freaked.

I dunno if it was psychological or what cause I know those tubes hold hardly anything at all but it left me with a dislike (not of needles) but more of needles taking blood out of my arm.

I think I'm over it now cause it was ages ago and this thread is really to make me (and all the other inexcusables out there) go and do it cause I'm sure once you've done it the first time the rest'll be easy.

I'm surprised it takes an hour though, is that true?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Wow. I would definately give blood, if I were old enough. The slogan for Canadian Blood Services makes me laugh though: "Blood, it's in you to give." Personally, I always thought that blood was in you to live, but... *shrugs* But I will give blood when I'm of age in... a few years or so... *whistles innocently*

About the bit where you can't donate blood if you are a male homosexual, that's annoying! Just reading that, I'm thinking "What are they going on about?!" I realize, as you guys pointed out, that risks of HIV is higher, but if you don't have it at the time when you gve the blood... But then again, both of my parents work in the health care system, so I get a lot of insider reports on things. One part of me says, "No, they don't want to take any chances." While the other part is saying "They'll take any blood that's clean and available." But, I don't know. *shrugs* I wonder if you can't give blood if you're gay in Canada? I should find out, just out of curiousity...

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Wow. I would definately give blood, if I were old enough. The slogan for Canadian Blood Services makes me laugh though: "Blood, it's in you to give." Personally, I always thought that blood was in you to live, but... *shrugs* But I will give blood when I'm of age in... a few years or so... *whistles innocently*

About the bit where you can't donate blood if you are a male homosexual, that's annoying! Just reading that, I'm thinking "What are they going on about?!" I realize, as you guys pointed out, that risks of HIV is higher, but if you don't have it at the time when you gve the blood... But then again, both of my parents work in the health care system, so I get a lot of insider reports on things. One part of me says, "No, they don't want to take any chances." While the other part is saying "They'll take any blood that's clean and available." But, I don't know. *shrugs* I wonder if you can't give blood if you're gay in Canada? I should find out, just out of curiousity...

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Donating lowers your sugar levels, which is why here they make you sit, eat cookies and drink juice afterward. The whole woozy thing is a VERY common side effect, so proper precautions need to be taken.

My grandfather had Leukemia, and received a blood transfusion tainted with Hepatitis, which he couldn't fight off, and it ultimately killed him.
That is where the hysteria comes from but...it was years ago(21 to be exact) and I know that things have changed alot since then.
*wondering if gay friends who donated lied* Hmmmmm.....

Edit for side note: For those who feel you can not donate, you can always donate your time. 1 Hour once a month. When in college/uni we had blood drives and I used to work the appointment setting table and/or hand out the cookies and juice to people when they finished. I also have watched the children of people who donated, to make their experience less stressful. There are many options and ways to help. Thought I would throw that in as food for thought!

[ 21. August 2003, 04:56: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
regardless if i want to donate blood or not i cant. i recently went to do just that and was asked when i got my last tattoo. well i get tats frequently and there is a requirment to wait a year after your latest tat to donate blood. i was very upset with the fact that i could not do this service. O-WELL

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
hehe well damn I have never had trouble with bloodloss of any kind

Needles dont bother me, 6 tats later and a brand new Corpsman who is a little afraid of missing the vein and I am fine haha

It was kinda funny actually he was all worried, and I was like... Doc, no worries just stick me haha he just looked at me like damn this guy is psyco

I cant give blood due to England and the mad cow stuff hehe see what happens when you feed cows other cows!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I can't give blood either, due to the same reasons, and I really resent it. I am someone who really believes in giving blood, with the hope that it may save someone's life. I do understand the dangers associated with having Jacobs Creudsfelt disease. And I understand the precaution. Yet at the same time I do wonder if it is being overly cautious.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
I give blood ussually, but I was to anaemic last time so they sent me home to eat better and come back later .

Also, I am pretty sure that the group of people infected with HIV many years ago (someone else mentioned this earlier) were haemophiliacs. This is a condition where blood cannot clot properly due to a deficiency in a specific clotting factor. The therapy that these people were administered to help their blood clott normally, was manufactured from donated blood which was infected with the virus.

I like to donate, makes me feel like I have done my good deed for the day ............. and I like the cookies

I don't like living below the tropic of Capricorn..... and now I seem to be in England...... how did I get here???

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
Hey DSS - It's completely up to you whether you give blood obviously, but have a chat to someone who works at a blood bank about your concerns, you might be lucky enough to get a real sweetie who'll sit you down and calm all your worries! I would definitely suggest setting aside a full hour for your donation, in fact I'd schedule it for a fairly laid back day in case you do feel a bit woozy after it like you last blood vial donation... Use the full hour at the clinic if you need to, sit down in there after your donation - have a juice or tea or something and some lollies....It'll help...

I am definitely a BIG supporter of donating blood, as is all my family - About four years ago I was run off the road in my car and had a really serious accident - I have a fairly rare blood type, so my doctors were pretty concerned about getting enough blood in my type for me - however, they managed to find enough and one of my doctors told me a few days later that the last bag of blood that they needed so badly was only donated two days prior to my accident, so I think I'm pretty damn lucky! I'm personally extremely grateful to people who donate blood (especially people who really hate needles etc, but do it cause they know it is needed) cause I know it sure as hell helped me out in a bit of a fix!
I hope you get over your qualms, giving blood does make you feel like you've contributed something and it really does help!
Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I can't, although I used to love to because it made me feel like I'd done a good thing.

I can't because
1) I have spent too much time in Europe (total of one year since 1980)
2) I am gay.
3) I have a history of anemia.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Flower fairyBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
After checking on the link above I have realised that I cant give blood for a while cos ive just had another piercing.. After that hopefully I will be able to. But geez there are so many conditions!
It really really sad to see that you cannot give blood if you are gay or even if you have had sex with a guy who has had sex with another guy (as a female). That is discluding such a lot of people who genuinely want to be able to help others to live. Im sure it is for safetys sake but surely there must be a way of getting round it. I am definately going to try and find out more about this and see what options could be put in place to make it more accesible to all of us whoever we fancy having sex with!
Yet another thing to campaign for

DSS I hope that other peoples experiences here have helped you make your decision. Seeing how many people cannot give blood even if they want to I think that if we can we definately all should. Even if you try it once at least you can genuinely decide if you can handle doing it again. And think what you have achieved from even that just one time! Let us know

some people take a walk in the rain and others just get wet

Smiling is infectious. Please pass this on.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
fp..I have to say that fisrt, are you serious? If you are a gay male they don't let you donate?
In the U.S. if you have had "sexual contact" (whatever that means) with another man since 1977 (the year I was born) you are ineligible.

If you have been in Europe for a total of one year since 1980 you are ineligible. If you have been in Great Britain for six months since 1980, you are ineligible. (Mad Cow)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
I've given blood before a few times and i liked it the needles and all dont bother me and i have a rarer blood type so i know it is needed and that's kinda why i give blood plus you do get snacks and drinks afterwards or sometimes they give you free shirts(or things like that) i would give blood as often as i could but right now i can seeing as how i just got a new tattoo but in a year i'm sure i will! give blood you can save a life!~

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
C@ntus donated blood in Cambodia.

They have 'heammoragic dengue fever' (sp?) and it's not very nice.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Written by: It's...Lightning!

I can't, although I used to love to because it made me feel like I'd done a good thing.

I can't because
1) I have spent too much time in Europe (total of one year since 1980)
2) I am gay.
3) I have a history of anemia.

[Frown]

I liked to donate blood as well. When the whole gay thing came up I simply lied to them, they run tests either way and I know I'm clean, got the tests to prove it biggrin

However now I apparantly have high blood pressure, like Stage 1 Hypertension (152/102 last time I checked), so they reject me right off the bat. I've been trying to go to a doctor about that however I don't have a doctor, so yeah, slow going.

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
I donated for the 1st time a couple of months ago. I'm outrageously terrified of needles, but the blood bus was at school one day, so I went before I could chicken out. I was really scared, but now it's not so bad. grant you I haven't done it again yet, but as soon as I can I'm going to. I got over my phobia and it felt really good (when the dizzyness wore off lol) to help like that. Plus at the time there was a shortage, well, more than usual. AND I got a cookie!!! really, if you can, donate, you'll love the feeling afterward, and I don't mean the dizzyness ~.^.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i donated a couple of times when the blood drive was up at school. It was really nice, they had people to talk with you while you were lying there. I never had a needle phobia, so it wasn't really a problem. Afterwords we got free food and beverages, and were told to take it easy. Yes, there was some sliiight dizziness. And never under any circumstances try to do something strenous right after b/c i had a friend that ran to class right after and it was bad news.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i would give blood but i cant i have been getting lots and lots of tattoos and they wont take your blood if you have had a tattoo in the last 4 years

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Page: