Forums > Social Chat > How the zebra got his stripes... what about your name?

Login/Join to Participate

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
randomly looking at a thread where mr capn polyester had changed his name to the approving ninja and wondered why...
so I guess this question is open to everyone:
why did you choose the nickname you did?

me- cos I luveth mr manu chaoeth and his songeth kingeth ofeth theth bongoeth and it has been a nickname on different sites for ages and ages and ages...

ben

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

triple wordscoremember
75 posts

Posted:
Thats easy to answer for me.

I didnt choose mine.

Jon(UCOF)and Simian, with help from Jemma (jemmamimajemima) signed me up at jon's party.

I was drunk, so i agreed to the name.

Guess i should say 'thanx guys'

Cant Sleep Or The Clowns Will Get Me!!!!

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Well being the boring unimaginative type, I chose my name coz i mostly do Devil Sticks and my name is Adam.

Soz BamBam guess i should have put a post like this up earlier!

That, and so it's unpronouncable, then even HOP people have to call me by my name! Muahahahaha!

Ads

Is that magnets!?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i got mine.... 'mechhead' from being a techie, for a long time, as in mechanical head!

and teh name 'Step' is part of my family name as im Matthew stepek, but i dont like ppl using matthew cos its soooomundane and boringand i only use it in certain situations...

sooo there you go im a boring freak!

later days guys

Step (el-nombrie)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
mine is just my name spelled backwards, & phonetically. My name is really Izolr, with a silent "l".

Ok, so there is really no exciting explanation for my name and I had to make one up.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
If I had a spirit beast, it would be a tiger. There's something about vivid orange stripes that somehow function as camouflage in the greens and browns of a forest. This all probably started because I was in love with Borges, who also loved tigers. I fell in love with his tiger that could only be faced by a man of war, in a castle atop an elephant.

Also, I love William Blake's poem, The Tyger.

So, with my contrary nature.... regyt is tyger backwards.

E pluribus unum, baby.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
my names an obscure reference to hitchhikers guide (book 1 of 5 in the trilogy).
the personality of the large furry creatures appealed to me for some reason.
i was orignially called 'dead parrot', but thought i needed something that sounded a bit happier.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
quote:
garb:

"An outward appearance;
a guise: presented their radical ideas in the garb of moderation ."
That and the fact that I've been called variations of this

for as long as I can remember .

safe

garbo

be excellent to each other: safe:

space cadetmember
19 posts

Posted:
I was called this as a kid when I would daydream and not pay attention to things. I didn't realize for a long time that even though grown-ups meant it as an insult, being a space cadet could really be rad. (Especially if you got to wear a cool helmet and got a ray gun and stuff!) I also play music with friends in an a/v improv collective sort of thing, and our sessions are often analogous to space missions; as we are star princesses and space pirates to the end. We're sci-fi geeks who aren't too old to make robot suits out of tinfoil and spaceships out of cardboard boxes sometimes.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Dio (pronounced "DIE-oh") is short for Dionysus, the Greek god of ritual dancing and festivity/drunkenness. I chose a deity because the troupe I joined had stage names with mythology themes. I chose the one that summed up my performance the most since I started doing poi to teach myself rhythm and how to dance. It was the best for the job, and "Dio" just sounds cool anyway

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
well im known as oli, so i thought that would be as good a nickname as any....

suppose i could have been all exciting and called myself shalabi, after the great sam shalabi... or agim (a masculine Albanian first name that means Dawn or Daybreak).....
but i think oli is easiest.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
since i grew up in the middle east i wanted my nickname to be arabic,narr means fire, see guys an gals you learn something new everyday

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
For all those of you that accuse me of having a fetish-inspired nickname: WRONG!

I'm a nice girl

Um, to tell the truth I couldn't think of anything to use, looked around and the Feeder album was on my desk (now everyone knows there's no exciting story )

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
bender is made of 40% titanium
so am i
:creaks:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I got my nick name when I was like 13 and used to play in Ultrazone (lazer tag) tournaments. My RP name was Royal Assassin (after the Magic card) and my friends just shortened it to Royal. Now Ive been stuck with that name for 7 years. Ive been banned from entering Ultrazone for like 4 years now but everyone still calls me Royal.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
Mine is in memory of a really fantastic person - His name was Jimmy and he used to live at the same Uni residential college as me...Pyro_Tech came from the fire group that he used to twirl under... he would have loved this site and having random chats about random stuff, so when i signed up I picked that name...
My signature is also a quote that he sent in an email ages ago - and it's on his memorial stone in our college.
He was killed in Sydney almost two years ago and I miss him heaps, but I'm at that stage now that things that remind me of him make me smile instead of being sad - so having the screen name Pyro_Tech is full of happy memories for me

Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
For anyone who wasn't at the EJC I changed to the approving ninja beacause ROB, Ken and I did a Robert Heart Piss taking act on the renegade with me dressed up as a ninja to give "approval" to Ken's top student. That day the favourite quote was "twenty martial artist have approved my style" so we got 1 martial artist (me) to approve and I've been ninja ever since

Viva UGLY STAFF

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
my name is cole.
about four or five years ago my girlfriend at the time and a very good friend randomly started calling me coleman.

i like it because although it was given as a nickname, it's where my name originally came from too; coleman was my great grandfather's first name and is my father's middle name.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I'm a program I was using at the time for figuring out seismic responses of buildings to earthquakes. Crap program, but I liked the name.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
doh!!!
everyone seems to have a story more interesting than mine.
well to you all&keep em coming!!!
heard about your renegade mr approving ninja but didnt hear the details about it- i musta been somewhere else at the time

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Well, i was born with mine... well sorta, my full name is Bethany but i didnt want to put that. Usually, on other boards or wherever, im Cora (just coz i like it) or Calliope (the greek muse of epic poetry)... oops, didnt think of Calloipe for this board, ah well, too late now

But yeah, born with my name so thats about it really...

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
tiamat i got from an old video game i liked (ff1) and the 22580 is my school i.d so when tiamat didnt work when i tried to sign up for my e-mail, i added 22580 with an underscore _ and thats my name for where ever i go . so thats that.

i bet at least someone was wondering about the 22580

oh yeah and the tiamat part you can now see in various newer type games other than final fantasy

¿

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
lol, approving ninja, so finally the truth comes out. Man that sounds like such a funny story!!

Pyrotech, that's a truly touching story, and brings so much significance to your name. It's awesome that your friendship is honoured in this way.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always