Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I practiced last night more than I should've which made me think...wonder...What are your practice guidelines? Is it by mood and emotion or do you all have a regime that you follow?I try to practice an average of an hour a night, alternating toys on a nightly basis.Sometimes, if I feel I am on a roll (like last night) or if I am upset then I usually go for hours.I was just curious if I am masochistic or just insane right along with the rest of you! tongue------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Sadly, I have tons of things to do in the average day, so I don't really get many good, long sessions in throughout the week. I wish I could get more in. When I was in Atlanta, we spun just about every night of the week for at least a few hours. Now, I'm lucky to get more than two good sessions in a week.

Fortunately, some friends started a game night. When the weather's fair, we've got about two or three hours before game to play, and it's been rather fun.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I always found that when I had stuff that i wanted to learn then i would play hard every day... carry poi around with me for ever opportunity to practice.

These days... i got nothing that i'd like to learn, maybe i reached a stage that Glass once did many years ago, i remember well. Maybe that will change in due course but right now, i'm at a happy medium and don't have to practice hardly ever.

nice to see an old thread bumped... these were good times! i remember well... back when i was scared to post in this thread first time around.

TribalBeatsSiouxSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
Right on. I work a split shift with a big gap between shifts, so I use that time to get some practice time in.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Anuebunnie

As far as my moves go, I find one thing to work on and keep going until I get it.

This doesnt work for some people. For me, if im trying to learn a move i will do it a couple times and then move on. Come back to the same trick im trying to learn a couple times in a practice session and then leave it alone for like a week. When i finally come back to that trick i find that it just starts working....or at least comes out much better.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Agreed on that one. Sometimes, learning another trick first will make others so much easier. You can spend ages working on something that you can't get. Then give up, pick up a different couple of moves, and suddenly that move you were stuck on happens without even trying! smile

Me, I go on a kick sometimes with a particular toy, or even a type of trick. Like -- spending 3 weeks doing nothing but contact juggle, or spending a month doing nothing but playing with tangles or isos.

Other times, I'll just pick up whatever's closest whenever I feel like it. I often poi in the kitchen while I'm waiting for dinner to finish cooking...

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Poje,
I couldn't find this thread to respond to your wet-toys-mus-be-hard-to-twirl comment, but couldn't find the thread until it got bumped just now.

I dunno. I've never had a problem. Poi is no prob for me because the grips work no matter what, and my staff that just has an electrical-tape gripcan get slick, but with a decent grip it doesn't matter at all.

Poi in a rainstorm can be an almost spiritual experience. (I DON'T do this in a lightning storm, mind you, as that could end up as a REAL spiritual experience. ZAP!)

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
I've found that I often end up learning some of my trickier moves trying to rescue an easy move that I was screwing up. Sometimes just working on ways to fix your mistakes can really help you advance on the whole.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
When I work a new move, I try it several times to get a basic grasp of it (meaning I can do it once in several tries) and then I go into "fun spin" mode, and then slip it in occasionally. It sort of forces the move to click for me. Of course, sometimes the click doesn't happen, so I go back to trying to work it out.. lather, rinse, repeat.

I figure a trick does me no good unless I can get into it from something else, so that's the best way for me to "get it".

That said, the other day I drilled hyperloops for about a half-hour straight. My back hurt, my shoulder hurt, I kept whacking myself in the boob, and I still haven't "got it". I understand the concept, but execution isn't getting there yet.

(edited to say that obviously this method isn't working for me so I should probably go back to my tried and true -keep trying to work it in until it happens method, which I meant to say but forgot. )

Written by: poje

This doesnt work for some people. For me, if im trying to learn a move i will do it a couple times and then move on. Come back to the same trick im trying to learn a couple times in a practice session and then leave it alone for like a week. When i finally come back to that trick i find that it just starts working....or at least comes out much better.

EDITED_BY: mparker (1190824711)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
PK..I remember the whole stagnant Glass thing. I think that after awhile we all hit it. Seriously, you were afraid to post here? Funny. ubblol

Wow, so, old thread aye? I love seeing them bumped. The old names are funny, and sometimes sad, but to see how much things have changed for me.

My book has grown so large now, but not with tricks, mostly with toys and body movement/choreography, stunt and presentation suggestions/ideas. It became a catch all, so to speak and has well over 300 pages. I should prolly organize it one of these days. lol

My practice regime fell to the wayside round my accident and so much was in flux that I never really got it back.

I'm in a place like PK, where I can coast. However, it recently became not enough for me.

So...I am dusting off the books and videos and... and setting myself up a schedule. I want to get in an hour or so of yoga, dance and weight training in the am, before work. Then if possible (and not on group rehearsal nights) I'd like to get an hour or more in of toy practice every other night.

Since I will be opening up the shop in November we will also be able to do some playing there, which will help tremendously I am sure.

Problem is, I suck at schedule keeping! lol I'm such a procrastinator! wink
EDITED_BY: Pele (1190826746)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Problem is, I suck at schedule keeping! lol I'm such a procrastinator! wink

ubblol dont you just! :P

Tspinstranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm reviving this thread.

I'm a beginner, having started spinning a broomstick handle a few weeks ago. My question is, for learning new moves do you guys use mostly repetition drills or do you just randomly insert them into freestyle motion?

If you have any other staff practice tips, I'd be interested to learn.

Thanks!
EDITED_BY: Tspin (1333812691)

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Repetition, repetition, repetition. Its the only way for me as I have zero natural ability!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Definitely all repetition here. I tend to be learning three or four different things at any one time so that I can switch between them because I get bored easily though.

As with anything, I guess try repeating with slight variations to see if you can get into a smoother or easier way of doing a particular move.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

Page: