Page:
skechadamember
8 posts

Posted:
Just started browsing around here, and it's good to see so many other spinners out there. I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but has anyone noticed any type of poi/spinning action in movies, either popular or smaller documentaries? Just curious. I think someone told me a scene in Romeo Must Die had something reminiscent of poi, but I could be wrong...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Cantus...no problem...I can admit she is a hottie...though I will say I think her character was strongest when she first appeared on the show and had those fluid snake-like movements. I really wouldn't mind seeing Criton doing some poi either...the two in some hot doubles moves together? Maybe swooshing some of those mini glowsticks around in their mouths, or sharing them!MMMMM...sounds like something that would need an X rating to me! smile(can you tell I am feeling a bit cheeky? wink)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I think Ithaca is right about the woman in the Sky ad, it looks more like clubs than poi.[This message has been edited by TheBovrilMonkey (edited 19 October 2001).]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
im glad you think its clubs too.. I saw the ad at the begining of the summer and there is a really cool move in it where the poi (or whatever) are spinning infront and kind of along the underside of the girls fore-arm (with her arm/hand pointing upwards) while the other poi/whatever is spinning beheind her back (in the opposite direction). she kind of crosses over from this position every rotation by passing the poi (while at the top of the rotation!) uner her arm-pit, and then sometimes over her shoulder! its kind of a random move, and when i tried to do something similar i caned myself in the head, face, shoulders, bum, legs, everywhere... i quickly gave up and watched the simpsons; will revisit when i get more confident, more body armour, or drunk..if someone knows what the move was and has any ideas i would love some pointers.. oh and the adverts not on anymore; they replkaced it with an equally firey mk1 mustang fastback (sorry, classic car freak, got carried away... smile

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
They had an Elvis Special on the telly the other day. Polynesian Dancers doing really cool poi moves to Elvis smooth voice. The werent fire poi, the had white fluffy balls on the ends and the girls pulled off some Xlent moves. Didnt catch the title, but thought an Elvis fan might know.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
i saw Castaway last night and they briefly filmed one of the girls (an ozzie) doing the single staff and double staff. She was pretty good too.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I saw Castaway too, I agree, she was pretty good, but then most people are pretty good in my view, because I'm pants smileThat was one of the few times I've actually watched that program for more than a minute, they showed a bit near the beginning and I had to stay and watch, hoping they'd show more. Which, luckily, they did.------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Wasn't it Shipwrecked? Not castaway.She was good tho. Even I was impressed tongue------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
VH1 had a special on last night about Ibisa.They showed at one of the clubs a staff spinner (not very fluid at all) and a torch spinner who was very nice. There was also a girl on a beach attempting comets without much success other than the basic side spin.The only glowsticks were actually shown in peoples hands, not on strings, and even that was rarely.

Pele

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
shipwrecked, castaway - something to do with the sun, sea and sand anyway (shivers with cold as she remembers what it was like to be in paradise). winkyer me too i NEVER watch it - bag o shite, honest... wink

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Pele, I heard of this squatt for jugglers only in Ibiza where the very very best go. SO my guess is that this video was just "bad luck". I saw a documentary on Ibiza night life with just a few seconds of staff and i am still thrilled when i think of what I saw !!!shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
i saw the show Blind Date from Ibiza the other night and it showed some fire poi and staff at a restaurant on one of the dates... i was like wh0a!

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Doh! It was shipwrecked (the one with the nice hot island) not castaway (the one with the incredably cold scottish island).We would have got away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!or a meddling Cantus in fact smile------------------King of all things Walrus

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I swear only in Ibiza could you find a bumjee jumpng Elvis over a stage of fire spinners!Cass, the thing is, I think any place that attracts that many people is bound to have both the best and the worst, and since the show was actually about the music and spirit, the spinners were a momentary background thing. I know someone whose first exposure to spinning was on Ibiza as well, which I think is cool.Personally I just want to go to the foam party followed by the water club! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

bubblezmember
24 posts

Posted:
in fast n tha furious theres a small part where a guy os spinnin glowies at the end when there at the desert races------------------ITS NOT WHAT U KNOW, ITS WHAT U CAN PROVE......

ITS NOT WHAT U KNOW, ITS WHAT U CAN PROVE......

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There was a guy on the Bar Wars final tonight doing fire chains.I doubt anyone else saw it tho. Everyone else in the UK goes out on a Friday night.------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Hey has anyone noticed the new "seriously ten" promo on channel ten of course, it's all firey, sticks and breathing mainly.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

firefabulonmember
12 posts

Posted:
You can tell I've been watching too much bad late night TV.On Elimidate (a dating show) There was a women from NZ who lived in Las Vegas and she was a profession fire dancer--they showed a clip of her doing poi for her background profile.Also, I just watch at public television special on Qigong where it showed how ones Chi lead them to creative and amazing states where one could blow fire, and do poi among other things.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
On the music tangent: GWAR has had a fire dancer in thier show since at least the early 90's. It's been a long time since I've caught a show but I believe she did torches and was pretty good too. If any of you ever have the chance catch a Crash Worship show (if they are even still around, I haven't herd about them for, I think, four years) they started out their show with a two story fireball (indoors) and it got better and better from there. I think they are based out of New Orleans, but I could be wrong. If you are into madcap fire craziness and topless girls pouring wine down your throat than you have to see this.

Jesus helps me trick people.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
yup, Ive seen it Jester.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Jester and Frenzie...that is Fire Works Dance Co. in it. Chris is doing some really amazing things lately (which reminds me, I need to email you Frenzie). I got off the phone with him the other night and he made me feel soooooo lazy!!!SickPuppy, took care of that double post for you wink and GWAR is still around. In fact they added more girls to the show. They have this opening called the Girlie Freak Show. I was referred to be part of it and had actually discussed it with Elizabeth last year(can't remember her GWAR name) but I simply couldn't go on the road with my son and them, no way! shocked------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
(*BUMP*)Of all these movies you guy's have mentioned, I haven't seen any Poi or staff in any movie other than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Shanghai Noon frown I guess I'll have to watch some more movies!Kinudin

clairebearmember
52 posts
Location: jersey - Little rock, not quite there and almost h...

Posted:
Theres a bit of fire spinning in a surf movie titled "In Gods Hands". About half way through they end up at a music festival on a beach in Bali and there are some guys spinning fire around a groups of people, though I think it's mainly clubs and staff.Beautiful location though! I want to go spin in a hot sandy place!!

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

SabineGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Hi there,I saw 'Mists of Avalon' on vid the other night. There was what appeared to be poi (or possibly meteor) in the background of a pagan festival.Sabine

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Um there's a really violent staff bit in Dune (episode 1)------------------"Every experience carries its lesson"-Muad'Dib

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'm not too sure on this one, someone might have to verify it for me but i THINK someone was spinning a glowstaff like object in Star Wars Episode 1... smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Damn right. Darth Maul using the double-edged light sabre. He was a badass at first, but is now only half the man he once was...Personally, I'd like to see Yoda whip out some glowstaff moves.

Fear the evil monkey!

Aesamember
1 post

Posted:
In the movie previews of Lilo&Stitch I saw some Poi being swung around... Just thought you would want to know.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep smile

saw lilo and stitch week before last and there is a wicked double fire staff routine in it.

unfortunately as a result of the fire breathe climax, the performer sets the stage on fire umm

i also have a theory that disney has been infiltrated by LAP as poi is mentioned but only in the context that some kids are being a nuisance and wving them round in the restaurant ubblol

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: