Forums > Social Chat > Today I saw Ash Circle.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
This would be the second time I've seen fire Poi in real life, and for the second time I was blown away by it. Stuff like that is why I keep spinning.

I got to talk to Loki too. he asked if I went to home of poi.

The rope torch and contact fire were really cool too.

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Right on, dude. Glad you liked the show.

We're on the Aliant Stage tomorrow and Saturday. The night shows on that stage are ridiculous. Come check it out.

For those of you wondering, this is Halifax International Buskerfest we're talking about. Stop number 6 on Ash Circle's first Canadian tour. woo-hah.

p.s. www.ashcircle.com.

(hype, hype, hype)

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I was the nervous kid with the black bucket hat that talked to you before the show.
I'll try and be around for a night show.
As for the "don't try this at home" thing...too late. No fire for me yet though.

AstroBoymember
43 posts

Posted:
I have some good pictures of you guys! I took them saturday night. I didn't get any good ones of the fire breathing because it's too damn hard to time. I will e-mail them to you.

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
cool and cool...
i have problems photographing the fire breaths too....the camera keeps melting

it's great that people who see our show enjoy it .. ( if they didn't we'd be out of a job)

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

Stubbsmember
31 posts

Posted:
As long as we're on the topic, I saw you guys at the Kingston 'fest a little while back, and was fairly impressed. Good show!

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
thanks we had a good time in kingston met lots of fun people and were generally treated very well..... and the large fire show was so much fun!! a young lady from conneticut did her first spin for a huge crowd and totally rocked the casbah!!!!

it's fun .. but it's not always easy.. but after the shows .. lots of happy people make it worth it...

i just wish more people who new us from on here who saw the shows would come up and say
"hi I'm ------ and on HOP... what shkin Ivan!"

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
and since we're hyping ..

this saturdy at 10 we're doing a mixed show with the newyork street boys .... live fire and precussion... wooooo hooooo...

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I tried to talk too you Ivan, but you told me that you did nothing in the show.
No one ever thinks the nervous kid with the bucket hat does Poi. Hopefully I'll see you guys next year at the buskerfest.

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
Wo0t! Yea I saw your show... actually quite a few of them ^^; You are really awesome. Out of all of your shows that I've seen I thought you did best on... wednesday? O.o I don't remember days, its the summer and I'm just glad to be out of school and down to the buskers festival every day! it was 10:00 and you were at the ATV stage. You just seemed more relaxed that show... 'Dance with the fat man in the red dress!!' Ivan I must your outfit is really cool ^^
Loki/Rick you may remember me and my friend, we asked you about safe fire-poi clothing... I may rely on the internet for some things but I like to talk one on one when it comes to things like... you know... not going up in flames O.o

Well I will probably see anyone who is going down to the Busker Festival tomorrow.
Ja ^.~
Semper Fi!

~Cerberus~+Something simple+

BlazeBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
YEY BUSKERS! And Yey Halifax Buskerfest because it rules!! I LOVED the Ash Circle show I saw last time I went... well actually the many shows I saw with Cerberus here. Oh and I agree with Cerberus that your show at the ATV stage at 10:00 the other night was SOOO awesome!! And Good job Loki and Ivan on the Fire and humour, hilarious people you are! Me Loves, me Loves! I WILL set my poi on fire soon, so yey, Cerberus and I are doing it fairly soon, I CAN'T wait. But I need a few things like... Kevlar... and wire so the flaming poi don't go flying off of the chains! I can't wait to go tomorrow, so I'll see all who are going tomorrow there! Mwahaha!

Blaze aka Jade Dragonfly (my new alias)

You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Me Like fire... hehe... he he... -, Me at the annual Busker Festival Downtown

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Hello, Ash Circle!

Saw your performance at four times Halifax Busker-Fest, and once in Sydney- (okay, call me insane [my sister did when I dragged her back all five times- you might remember us] *snicker* but I just LOVED it- absolutely enthralling and phenonenal) and I'd just like to tell you that you've inspired me to learn how to spin fire. (That sounds so dumb when I put it that way! *Laughs at cliche self*)

Anyway, thought you'd like to know how awsome your show is. I'm coming back to Halifax BuskerFest next year whether I have to pay for my flight myself (unless parents feel oh-so-kind) and I hope to see you guys again on stage!

((Most sincere apologies for any spelling errors I may have made- I'm really tired and can't think... ))

[ 21. August 2003, 15:29: Message edited by: Nove ]

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Rick, Ivan!
I feel like ass for missing your joint show with the New York Street boys, Liz and Dawn keep telling me how wicked it was.
Two questions-
When will we find out who won the people's choice award?
and
How did the filming of your shows turn out?
Oh yeah, this is Rosie by the way...

P*L*U*R

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
*has complete spaz*

Their show with the NYC Street Boys was SO amazing! When I came home, I was so hyper, I scared my mom. XD She was like "It must've been good if you're this hyper about it..." But she just doesn't get it *shakes head*

But seriously, guys, that show was stunning. Like, beyond anything that words can describe! I'm still completely speechless! *is speechless*

But I though it was rather funny, because with all the torches, and the darkness, and deep drums, and Ivan's booming voice, it had a kind of cult feel to it... O.o' But the whole audience was completely taking over with the performance. I've never seen anything like that before. I'm sure that the way the group of you guys held the audience, you could convince them that the sky was really red, or some impossible thing like that. ^__^

And Rick, the way you look when you're performing, it's completely stunning. What you remind me of, is some kind of fire nymph or some kind of magical creature, the way you carry yourself, and the way you hold the poi... Just everything! It was such an unbelievably amazing show....! *continues to ramble about the show*

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
I so wanted to go to that! *is jealous* I saw the NYC Street Boys by themselves, and they were GREAT, but I was looking forwards to see the combination- too bad I didn't know we were leaving THE DAY BEFORE. It sounds so absolutely amazing... *cries*

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

BlazeBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
I am SOOOOOOOOOO HYPER!!!! *dances then bounces off of walls a few times* I am still completely in awe about that combination show with NYC Boys and Ash Circle, OMG! And tonight, Cerberus and I lit our poi on fire for the first time, it was SOOO amazing, I LOVE FIRE! *dances yet again* Everyone was shooting us down before hand saying we were going to end up in the hospital and whatnot, but we sure proved them wrong! We lit them, didn't die and did it well!! YEY FOR FIRE POI! *dances away into the night, rambling incoherently about poi and her boyfriend's newly dyed blue hair*

You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
Ooohhh, I never knew any of my psychoticly happy moments could last this long... first time for everything ^^

That show was... um.... Something beyond words, I just wanted to run down and hug everyone. That is an amazing feat because I am a very not huggy person < see, look at that! Look what you've done!

Haha, Nove, if you come back I'm sure there will be at least 100 copies of 4 different angled videos of that show floating around. Needless to say you could probably easily get your hands on a copy.

I can't wait till I light up again ^^ whoo that was fun!

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
No, no... I don't want videos- they ruin it if you watch it again afterwards. The mysterious, one-time-thing effect to totally smashed to pieces..

No, I'd much rather see more live performances! (*Sends mental vibes out to all poiers* "Come perform in Alberta... Come perform in Alberta... Preferably Calgary...")

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
How is it that I find out all these people go to the Halifax Buskers Festival AFTER it's over? Anyways, good job Rick and Ivan. One of the night shows I caught the crowd was really pumped up for you guys. BTW my mom caught you on a commercial for another buskers festival on tv.

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
okay ....

.... so the show with the New York Street Boys ( from denver ) really was amazing ... from my point of view... we ( rick and i ) got to collaborate with three fantastic performers who, with out a doubt, had the highest energy of all the performers... dean , craig and dustin are three of the coolest cats i have ever met .. and they totally love performing.. it was a fantastic chance to combine the tribal element of drums with the primitive lust for fire... but it wouldn't have worked without the crowd.... the people who came to see the show were soooo jazzed to see a live fire and drum show that they just made the whole experience 100% better.... and at the end they gave us the great compliment of a standing ovation ( i thought i was gonna cry ) ... it was the best show of our lives ( in my opinion ) and we can only hope that one day we can do another show for a crowd that was that great .... ( and lets not forget the wonderfull fan club who always come ( crappy show or not ) and make us feel like were doing good...

i was on a commercial for a different festival? where? when ?

peoples choice will be announced sometime before november ..

the filming so far has been cool ( haven't seen all the tapes yet tho )

anyway.. the support of all the people who have come to see our shows has been great.. and it's cool to be able to put some faces to some names ( but i forget too much too quick )

so thanks to everyone who came out .. it means alot to have the respect of out peers!

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
quote:
and lets not forget the wonderfull fan club who always come ( crappy show or not ) and make us feel like were doing good
Awwwwwww *beams*

P*L*U*R

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Anyone think of doing a "Poi at the water front" thing next year at, or before the buskerfest next year? I'd love to meet a bunch of spinners.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I'm all up for it! I'm kind of in a rut as far as learning new moves so it'd be neat to talk to people in real life to gather knowledge, leaving out excess confusing terms that are so commenly used online.
It'll be a party!

P*L*U*R

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Wait... y'all just need to plan it at the right time so I can come, too... If you can, count me in! (I have to pay for my own flight down next year and I only have limited time to be down in Halifax... So totally UNCOOL.)

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I'll most likely be in Halifax around the next buskerfest. Sounds like it would be fun, we could like invade the back yard of one of our own HoPers in Halifax or meet at the water front or something.

BlazeBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
Whoever wants, Cerberus and I are doing it alot more now that we can do fire, at the waterfront! Thursday and Saturday so far! So whoever wants to come is welcome! WoOt!

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
Oh my god its so much fun with an audience of people that I don't know! Blaze and I did it last night at the waterfront and the daily news came O.o we ended up on the front page, and we were just talking to so many people who thought what we were doing was cool ^^ it was so fun! I can't wait till we do it again on Thursday!

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
HI everybody!

It's so nice to know our show inspired so many people. Thanks, everybody, for coming and seeing us. The crowds were awesome.

Hey, anybody with pictures or video, we'd love to see a copy.

We would like to say one thing to those who want to spin with live fire in Halifax in public. Please, PLEASE learn proper safety techniques and tech handling procedures. If you can, get insurance as soon as you can if you're going to be doing public performances.

We love you all, and we're really glad you're spinning now, but the fire community in Halifax is fairly new (only a couple of years old), and one mistake could cost anyone who wants to do this professionally the chance to do so.

Ash Circle has jumped through a lot of hoops and gone through a lot of red tape to be able to do this thing in front of crowds. The local fire marshall has a copy of our safety procedures (as of last year), they know the equipment we keep with us when performing, and they trust us to be able to put out fires using various methods. They've seen us do it. They've seen our shows and taken notes. We've worked hard to develop an honest relationship with the city so we can do this without a hassle. We're insured to the tune of $5.6 Million.

We saw the Daily News photo, by the way. It was beautiful! Way to go!

At a minimum, 1) please never spin out without cans or another fuel-catching device connected over the heads of your poi. 2) please train in how to smother fires on people and objects and how to smother or extinguish your fuel dump if it catches on fire. We recommend learning this from professional fire performers or deputy fire marshalls. In four years of performing, we've never had to use a fire extinguisher, even though we keep two with us at every show.

If you want to learn, you can take safety lessons from us. When I do private poi lessons, I give a free poi building workshop as a gift. When we do fire arts training sessions, we do a fire safety session as well.

That being said, so long as you're all being safe for yourselves and your audience, then YAAAYY! Fire performance! It's nice to have little spots of beauty out there in the city.

Cheers and hugs,

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I'm a safe litte boy with my glow sticks and electroglos.
I think that might be a good idea too meet with some of you guys who do fire poi in Halifax and learn about fire safety before I try it myself, better then all of the safety stuff I read here. for every one.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Alumity and Phobos (Rick knows them as Dawn and Liz) wouldn't even let me touch fuel until I knew all about smothering poi, people and other such objects (Which they learned from rick, so I guess I can trust them...^-^). We've made spin out cans and we've even found it really makes the poi burn better, not just alot safer. Plus it saves our cheap asses from running out of fuel so fast!
I'm very proud of everyone I spin with for being so strict about safety, I know I can count on them to watch my back (who knows how long before I realize it's on fire?) and to watch out for my surroundings.
And I'll be damned if I'm the one that ends all the city's trust for Ash Circle!

P*L*U*R

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Yeah, we (Cerberus, Jade (Blaze), and I) are pretty careful. I'm their spotter, most of the time. I don't burn my staffs yet, seeing how I'm STILL making them >.<' Also, I have some fire safety and first aid. I'm gonna steal my dad's first aid kit tomorrow, for when I go down.

I completely agree with the amount of safety you need to think about before you light up. But also, you have to find... a balance, I guess, between being as safe as possible, while still being able to do it. That'll be my problem... I'll worry too much about what CAN happen to me, that I'll get all nervous, and stuff. ^^' But I'll worry about that when it comes.

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

Page: