Forums > Social Chat > Requiem for a Dream...whack

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
ok, i just saw Requiem for a Dream. have any of you seen it? if so, i think you feel what im gunna say next. excuse my language, but that is the MOST fucked up movie i have ever seen in my entire life. at first i thought it was pretty good. ya know, really creative stuff, really well done, great acting. but then at about the 30 minute mark, when the story started going downhill, it got, well, to be blunt, fucked up. like really messed up. it was disturbing. and i have pretty thick skin for things like this. but it is SOOOOOOOOOO whack. and i know im not the only one who thinks so. i cant possibly be. just thought id share, actually, felt obligated to share almost. i dont think id be able to sleep tonight otherwise (its 3:10 AM).DRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunkPS: i know this is a pretty calm and docile site so please excuse my language[This message has been edited by Drake (edited 08 June 2001).]

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I saw that movie in the theaters and loved it. True, it's very creative and the cinematography and editing are amazing. True, it is fucked up. But it's one of the best "drug movies" i've seen (up there with Trainspotting) as it's not just stupidly moralizing (like a cheap-ass hollywood movie) and only shows you the facts: this is what happens when you get into the downwards spiral of addiction. And i like how it compares your typical heroin addiction to prescription drug addiction and even TV addiction. Great movie, see it!Nomad

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
I agree with Nomad, good movie. Not just b/c I am also a fan of Darren Aronofsky. You should check out his first flick called "Pi" (like the mathematical symbol). It's not about drugs but is a great story nonetheless. It's refreshing to see a film that is not afraid to be bold and honest. If you really want to see something that will affect you, try renting Gummo (from the same creator of Kids). Not for the light-hearted though.

Fear the evil monkey!

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I've not yet seen _Requiem for a Dream_, but Ive seen _Pi_ several times and loved it. Awesome soundtrack, too!Caught _Kids_ on cable once. Talk about a wake-up call. This is one hardcore movie, and should be a must-see for all teenagers.-p.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We had a movie day awhile back....saw "Pi", "Trainspotting", "Kids" and "It's My Party" all in the same snow filled day. I don't think any of us walked out with our emotions in tact. All fantastic movies, all moving and wrenching in their own way but they should never all be seen on the same day..and I need to agree pj, I think "Kids" should be a requirement in high school health classes in my opinion. It has to be one of the most truthfully frightening movies I have ever seen.Wanna see "Requiem for a Dream" now. Well, I did when Nomad told me it was good originally but now I am really curious.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Wow, nothing but sweetness and light chez Pele, huh?Reminds me of when I saw "Happiness" and "Friends and Neighbors" in the space of one week. I couldn't bathe enough... Neither one is concerned with drugs, both are extremely twisted. Make "American Beauty" look like a Brady Bunch episode.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Never heard of those Adam, I will have to check them out. I liked "American Beauty" though. Know what else is a good one, more maintstream but really powerful? "The Virgin Suicides". Loved the book too.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
depressing movie night, "Once Were Warriors" followed by "Muriels Wedding" which is actually very dark humor...good movies tho.we were a bit down when we went to bed.

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
dont get me wrong, it was a very good movie (Requiem for a Dream), very well done. and i do recomend it. but its still pretty fucked up. one thing about i thought was kinda cool was the black blood in the restraut (the whole fork stabbing incedent). when blood is shown to be black, its, well, kinda cool.DRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunk

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah guys, "once were warriors" is a damn powerful movie and you surely walk out of it touched in some way. "Friends and neighbors" is twisted and funny as hell. Love them both.Nomad

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Pere..."Muriel's Wedding"..wow! I haven't heard mention of that movie in years! It's one of those make you feel embarrassed for her movies but in a funny kinda way, you know? Herm...need to start making movie list..those I want to see and those I want to see again. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Doniamember

Posted:
I thought Requiem was amazing!! Had the luck to catch a screening of it where the Director cam out afterwords and spoke about it. He's been asked to do the next Batman flick...should be interesting.Donia"Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame."Rumi

Donia Love
Ignis Devoco Industrial Fire Circus

Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame.
Rumi

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Donia, you're so lucky. Me and my pals have been lookin forward to the new Batman since he stepped in as director. Gonna watch "Friends & Neighbors" tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion Adam. I just saw a documentary called "Barraka" the other day. Has anyone seen it? I would HIGHLY recommend it to everyone on this board. Its a collection of stunning images from 24 countries set to their local music. I was so impressed with it, I will be buying it soon.

Fear the evil monkey!

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Wow, this is great. Everyone is talking about some of my favorite movies, and I'm seeing all these new titles that I now must check out!A few people mentioned Happiness, which for those who don't know, was done by Todd Solondz, who also wrote/directed Welcome to the Dollhouse. Dollhouse got fairly wide release, and was one of those movies you either love or hate. I know some people who loved Dollhouse, but still couldn't cope with Happiness. I love 'em both, though, because I can relate so well with so many of the characters.-p.

skechadamember
8 posts

Posted:
I'm glad to see so many others who share my taste for twisted original cinema. smileJust to add to this great list of subversive dittes: Neil Labute's (the director of Your Friends & Neighbors) first flick In the Company of Men. I'm not sure if I've seen a movie that was as funny and disturbing at the same time. Basically a story about two misogynists (sp?) in a competition to seduce a deaf girl. If that alarms you, DON'T watch it. winkNext, and I don't even know if you can find this anywhere, although IFC screens it from time to time, is the French Canadian flick Leolo, a beautifully shot story about a young boy in an eccentric, insane family. It's got a great artsy feel about it, it's very intelligent, and also THE most unnerving flick I've seen by virtue of a handful of images/scenes it throws at you.And the last one I just heard of when I rented the Shadow of the Vampire DVD (which was also great) last week. Begotten was the director's first flick, and featured no "actors", no dialog, only a black & white grainy nightmare images loosely dealing with the birth and death of a messiah at the hands of his followers. One reviewer said it made Eraserhead (which I still have yet to see) look like Earnest Saves Christmas. ouch.Definitely check out more info on these and other movies at www.imdb.org or even amazon.com to get an idea of what you're getting yourself into by watching. smile I'd love to hear other recommendations in the same vein.skechada

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
"Barraka"!!Soooo beautiful - the rhythms, the people, the landscapes - still makes me cry at the end though."Eraserhead" is really surreal - watched it a few times and still not sure whats happening - "Begotten" (?) must be positively mindmelting.Haven't seen none of the others (heck, I've only just seen "Titanic" - not what you'd call an avid film buff I s'pose wink)Noods(Still reckon Bambi's hard to beat - good ol' Thumper 'n' chums grin)

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
in the same vein as baraka which i havnt seen unfortunately... Microcosmos and Atlantis both of which are sort of atmospheric nature films..with excellent music and cinematography. atlantis especially has some beautiful photography, and microcosmos crew (french) invented all sorts of new technology to film at a very small scale. I wish i could remember who it was by. I also think both of the above would probably be better on a large screen so if you've got a uni film society go for it and request them.Peresome say the world will end in fire,some say in icefrom what i've tasted of desire, i hold with those who favor fire...

Joulesmember
2 posts

Posted:
U guys dont know me..Im just an aspiring twirler who figured he's mention a thing or 2 about these movies.Frankly, I'm amazed at this discussion... I'm proly the yungest one here at 18. U guys acctualy sounds mature, which is a change from my cirle of peers.Anyhow.-barraka-... I can still remember that funky mountain-monkey chilling in the hot spring smilestunning stuff.now, im not sure if it was Microcosims, or Atlantis, but I am almost 100% sure that the same guy who made barraka made one of those aswell.crazy work.Requeim for a Dream? I have a friend who saw this in the theater and couldn't speak to anyone for like a half hour after we walked out.Doesn't matter how "fucked up" a movie might be, if it leaves THAT much of an inprint on a one of our desencetised(sp?) blockbuster-watching film goers, you KNOW its worth your time.ps: watched barraka in my english class smile hehe. im amazed that someone mentioned it here...absolutely amazed!

PeaceJoules

Joulesmember
2 posts

Posted:
bunch of spelling/grammar errors in that message.. my bad frownaccidentaly hit 'post' button. heh

PeaceJoules

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
PJ--Saw Dollhouse. Thought it was great, I related deeply, although I think I was cringing through the entire thing. But man, if you can relate to the characters in Happiness, umm, well, you are one sick twist.Skechada--Saw Company of Men. Haven't seen LaBute's Nurse Betty though (which I understand is less vicious).If anyone wants to watch what I nominate as flat-out weirdest movie of all time, see Wax, or The Discovery of Television Among the Bees. Not particularly disturbing, just...weird. Also noteworthy for being the first movie ever to be released via the Web.And the nominee for strangest title: How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Yikes... sounds like I need to make a trip to the video store. Haven't seen any of these. Yet again, I am not dissapointed by the tastes of people here. smileTo throw in a couple of things from the animated world, two movies I haven't seen yet but are supposed to be very good: Barefoot Gen (semi-true story about living through Hiroshima) and Grave of the Fireflies (two kids trying to survive through the firebombing etc. of WWII).

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey Pere, both these movies (Microcosmos and Atlantis) are French. winkNomad

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
yes i know you silly fvrench person you.(that last was done in a cheesy bad french accent...i'm allowed 15 seconds of french jokes per day right? wink )REPULSE!Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Talking French jokes and neither Pere nor Nomad tapped into How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman?......so you know I have to....very winkOkay Strangest movie I have ever seen "Drain". It is an indie short, about 30 min, and it was the strangest damn thing. I didn't like it but it stuck with me for awhile so anything like that is well made in my book. Anyone else like the claymation indie shorts?Like "Vincent" Tim Burton's First or "Joy"?Weirdest Title for me was "Dildo's and Spaghetti-O's" which was the title of a movie my friend made for film school.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well you know, I was horribly tempted knowing how sensitive the little french person is about being french and all but i figured someone would bring it up eventually.little turkish pistachios!(and hey i did get my share of bad american jokes while living elsewhere so...i guess it just goes w/ the territory)you know whats another good movie was 'naked women talk about their lives' ( i think thats what it was called) just so its still on topic....hee!Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
"Little Turkish Pistachios" "Little Frenchman" .....I think we are going to give him a complex Pere!!!! grinReally we don't mean anything by all this! winkOh.. and "Two Girls and a Guy", well acted, well written dark humor. I liked it.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
im not saying anything! mmrhmhprhmrppphprllrhph mmmmm smileuhmm....what else is a good movie....? Titan AE was a fun animated movie...not indie, but hey not everything can be indie.Pere[This message has been edited by Peregrine (edited 12 June 2001).]

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
A bit late my gorgeous little cheesecakes *tacky frenc accent*Have any of you seen a french ditty called "Man Bites Dog" about a hitman who spouts very poor poetry and is being followed by a documentary crew chronicalling his life style, ie how he kills, what he does with bodies, who his friends are etc.Sounds nasty but is actually dark humour at it's finest (see numerous sound guys being bumped off just by being around this guy)Baraka is great, very 'nature' based. Also check out KOYANISQAATSI (sp?). Same makers earlier period. Does some great stop motion 'hustle and bustle' shot of the industrial world.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Awww c'mon Pere, why hold back now???? heheheheheI am soooooo waiting for an email from him saying what the ??????At least we didn't comment on silky, satiny yet not gossamer sack! Which I still have, btw grinAlright back on topic. Loved Titan AE...I own it. I enjoyed the mixed genre animation.Ooooh another awesome one of a dark nature, kind of mass release but kind of not..."Quills" about the Marquis De Sade. Bravo I say....Bravo. For a romantic flare filled with visual poetry and some rather gripping moments in dialogue..."Kama Sutra"...and no guys, I don't mean the position instruction video!! Sheesh! rolleyes wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 12 June 2001).][This message has been edited by Pele (edited 12 June 2001).]

Pele

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
heee!no! really. i wont say anything more 'cuz i have to spin with him this week and i don't want to get whapped. smile and this will all deteriorate into random in-jokes (not like it hasn't already)so how about them there john woo films? ever notice the 3 rules of the john woo film?1. gratuitous use of fire and doves2. gratuitous use of slow motion action3. your feet cannot be on the ground while shooting a gun.witness mission impossible 2 for choice examples of the rules. [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">Pere[/image]

skechadamember
8 posts

Posted:
oh yeah...one more obvious one. Run Lola Run, a crazy German movie that has a creative take on form and repitition, also really stylized. Definitely check that out.And Man Bttes Dog was freaking HI-larious.And Cinemax has just started running the 2 1/2 hour long Stanley Kubrick documentary. I saw the first half last nite and it's worth it if you're into him.skechada

Page: