Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
so I made myself a practice contact staff and as I didn't have anything else I have wrapped the grip in wool. It's quite nice to the touch tho a little slippery when spinning contact stuff.. anyone tried this..? or on a fire staff..?

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Not me, the staves (staffs?) I've made just have orange duct tape or PVC stuff all along the bar apart from the end decorations. I've been thinking of trying some fabric tape for the grip of one cos that's what my circus seems to use for theirs lots. Interesting idea though. What sort of wool did you use ( knitting yarny stuff wrapped around the handle, a recangle of fabric..)?

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
And I think I've killed the thread. #Mourns# frown

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

Sam JelfsBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
cricket bat grip tape.. works really well for the main grip and then use wool / gaffa / pvs tape, for the rest of the staff....

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Never even thought of wool. I could see how that would be comfey if you can make it stay put.

But then, my staff doesn't even have anything but bare metal for grip. I just have referance points taped out so I can feel where center is and how close I'm getting to my wicks. Other than for referance I've never found a need for an actual "grip".

Jesus helps me trick people.

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i use a wooden staff, which is really thick and heavy and has quite bad "grip". but still, i don't think it's needed at all. what is the point in having a added "grip". not getting too cold hands from holding your metal sticks? wink

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
grips soak up excess fuel, sweat, dew, and other unwanted moisture. they provide padding for big throws. sometimes the friction is helpful. best of all, it gives us something else to discuss on these boards

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Seb I used a wool for knitting.. Anyone who held the staff said it was very comfortable, tho for contact stuff there are better materials it's just I don't have any avilable.

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

TaminJenn Lovelace HigginsBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
I need help with taping my dragon staff.. The center point is marked but how do u tape the sections beyond the centerpoint? I see slot of people mark the staff in 4 sections is there a measurement for the length between the center point and the outer parts that people mark when they are first learning? Please help