Page:
simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
a list of helpful threads about common moves:

with unhelpful comments from me smile

3BEAT WEAVE

Good stuff from loads, nice thread to continue...

[Old link]

ditto

[Old link]

Jello, Glass and Spiralx probably all drink Carling Black Label

[Old link]

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! i love One Wheel Dave, cos he's a boodist, like MCA from the Beastie Boys

[Old link]

REVERSE 3BT

Lots of good advice from many people

[Old link]

Many of good advice from lots people

[Old link]

CHASE THE SUN

Not very good, but the best i could find:

[Old link]

WINDMILL

Fluffy Napalm Fairy is very cool and has slept in my bed. Unfortunately i wasn't in it at the time

[Old link]

(unfortunately this thread suffers from broken link syndrome frown )

THREAD THE NEEDLE

i am the member of the UCOF fan club. Come, join my annual meeting. i have badges.

[Old link]

MEXICAN WAVE

i love Flid because he's a vegan, but this DOES NOT mean he's a spanish boss from StreetfighterII

[Old link]

FLOWERS

flowers are pretty. so is ICON.

[Old link]

flowers smell nice. so does ICON. mmmm yummy.[Old link]

BUTTERFLY WEAVE

Coleman and Dantana have unlocked the secret bonus round

[Old link]

Contrary to popular belief, Glass is almost entirely opaque.

[Old link]

Coleman thinks he can do poi. Thus, he can.

[Old link]

5BEAT WEAVE

Old skool Hoppers and an anonymous Josh give sum phat advyse

[Old link]

sometimes, PK and Mot like to pretend they're japanese schoolgirls...

[Old link]

PK hunts down and kills wildebeest. Not for food - that'd be natural. Pure bloodlust. It's sickening... Someone should do something about him.

[Old link]

Funky thread - Cleaning up 5b weave

[Old link]

REVERSE 5BEAT

Many people = Lots of good advice.

[Old link]

Unicyclist and Clubswinger caught in Wrist/Elbow Debating Scandal!!!!!

[Old link]

Rev says some cool stuff here. He's in a cult now, you know. Every time i try to chat to him about antispin he just starts talking about motherships and cosmic vibration. Quite sad really. (note: this is a lie)

[Old link]

Malcolm talks about hitting himself in the face with beaming poi. i do that too. Great minds think alike, eh?

[Old link]

BEHIND THE BACK WEAVE (mainly reverse)

oldskool advice is the best advice

[Old link]

oldskool advice II - the oldskool strike back

[Old link]

oldskool advice III - revenge of the oldskool

[Old link]

FORWARDS BEHIND THE BACK WEAVE

Dragon isn't really a dragon. He's just pretending.

[Old link]

the usual suspects, offering "helpful nuggets"...

[Old link]

The UN have declared that 'Fluffy Napalm' is a 'Weapon of Fluffy Destruction', and it's use is therefore a flagrant breach of basic pixie rights.

[Old link]

WAISTWRAPS

This thread is pretty definitive, and Glass is a 'little bunny sandwich'

[Old link]

BEHIND THE BACK 5BEAT WEAVE

Good advice, a debate about names and soft drug references? What more could you asK???

[Old link]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The list was cut down from my original one i posted, removing threads that were less helpful, or just duplicated advice from the other threads.

this post originally went like THIS:

Hi there smile

i've been thinking it'd be nice if this forum had a list of the best threads about the most commonly asked about moves (The Weave, Windmill, BTB Weave, 5bt weave, all the stuff from the HOP lessons, etc...)

i've been thinking it'd be really nice if people asking about moves were given a helpful place to go to, rather than being curtly told to "Do a Search".

The search function can be quite helpful, but it's really hard to find the most useful and relevant threads, particularly when they involve extremely common subject matter.

i don't reckon this list would stop people asking about the same old moves, but it would give us a set location to direct people to, and a set location for new advice to be offered.

So if people could post links here to really helpful advice threads about common moves then they'd make me a happy monkey smile

I think that ones that link to other relevant threads are particularly useful:

like Dragon07's great post in this [Old link]

(i know coleman did some similar helpful linking in a 5beat weave thread recently. i've been searching for it for 15 minutes now and i can't find it redface Anyone know where it is?)

So, all suggestions for good move advice threads will be most gratefully accepted. Now i'm off to trawl the most deepy deepest depths of this Forum looking for advice on how to do the weave. Smoke me a kipper...

EDITED_BY: simian (1126002765)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Fantastic simian! *hands you a gold star*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

3,149 posts

Posted:
ooh cheers, and happy birthday to you miss flash smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

pk gives some good advice here:

[Old link]

--------------------

ooh - and here:

[Old link]

--------------------

i searched on in 5bt in poi moves only and restricted the search to posts older then a year:

[Old link]

hope that helps a little smile

Those are the 5bt ones Cole found.

He did them for me. And they made me learn it (eventually). Thanks Cole!

Edit - Sorry the links won't turn into links by doing the "URL" thing.. they didn't before either.. So I've removed the tags and it seems to be a bit easier.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
[Old link] which has a link by pk to a great meteor site, something very much related to 4 poi jiggery-pokery..

Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

there are a few ways i found helpful.

1) go from forwards weave to reverse weave using a 180 degree turn. As you go to turn back into the forwards weave stop after 90 degrees and raise your hands around your head/shoulders and you're there

2)try a giant windmill first to get the feeling of having the poi 180 degrees apart when they're above you

3)if you can do a simple corkscrew (2 beat methinks) gradually stand upright and the poi will be doing a windmill.

On the other hand you could look:

here perhaps....

or maybe here....

this one might help

Or you could do a search - it's been talked about quite a lot. but once you get it you won't be able to understand how you couldn't do it [Smile]

Keep trying, it'll come.

Windmills - posted [Old link]
EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1101513384)

Thoreau

3,149 posts

Posted:
wicked stuff dude smile

although lets keep it simple. Using 4 poi and meteor and that kinda more obscure stuff i'm not worrying about too much (or the list of threads will be HUUUUUGE)

Its the basics that come up all the time that'd be cool to find the threads for. All the extra advice for stuff in the HoP free lessons basically.

(and since you've got the 5beat now, you should change your bio wink )

edit - that was written before you found the windmill stuff. Excellent work! Can you link to the place where you found fluffy's post too?
EDITED_BY: simian (1101511962)

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
One of my own... helpful 3bt pages (the 3 beat is such a sod at first)

[Old link]

[Old link]

[Old link] by One Wheel Dave

[Old link]

Enjoy! Hope that helps a little! biggrin

Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

wicked stuff dude smile

although lets keep it simple.

Can you link to the place where you found fluffy's post too?

Point taken. I'm gonna look for it now although it may be well lost! I'll edit it in if I find it.

Cheers for the heads up on my bio!

Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thread The Needle

[Old link]

Written by: Untimely Calculations Often Fail

there have been many a thread concerning this pain in the arse move.

Try clicking the following link to find a whole load of search items I found for you. Some of them have no relevance whatsoever...whcih weirded me out

[Old link]

It was increadably unhelpful though

If you need anymore......you can search.

smile

Try also:

[Old link]

[Old link]

These are all the basic "batch threads" (can I coin that one?) I can find now.. although it'd be great if people could continue to post this sort of thing as and when they do/find them, and then after a while we could repost in one big, clean post.. without annoying bits like this. I've done a few bits but I've always wanted a big thread like this, pinned nice and high at the top of the forum. Searching is fine but it's such an imprecise art. Nice one Simian for putting it forward at long last!

Thoreau

3,149 posts

Posted:
many many thanks dude smile

i don't reckon this thread should be stuck up top, cos there'll be loads of irrelevant stuff in it.

(like the stuff i'm writing right now smile )

but this'll help loads for putting together a nice clean list to be posted in a new thread (or maybe sent to a friendly mod for insertion into the FAQ?)

i don't just want batch threads though. All advice threads appreciated.

i've just gone through every single thread in Poi Moves and my eyes are really sore.

still, i've found lotsa stuff (probably some duplication of your threads)

i've obviously missed some threads (particularly strangely named ones), and i know there are some in the Help! forum to find too.

And i totally forgot to look for butterfly or TTN threads (dumkopf!)

3BT WEAVE

[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
wicked OWD advice: [Old link]

REVERSE 3BT

[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

CHASE THE SUN

[Old link]
[Old link]

WINDMILL

[Old link]

MEXICAN WAVE

[Old link]

5BT WEAVE

[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

REVERSE 5BT

[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

REV BTB

looks good: [Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

FWD BTB

[Old link]
[Old link]

REV BTB 5BT

[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

FWD BTB 5BT

Couldn't find anything! And this is one of the only moves in the list which i personally want advice on frown

Anyhoo, tomorrow i'll do some more searching and stuff, add in the threads you've found, and then start looking at which threads are actually useful and which aren't.

time to go out into my garden for a well earned nicotine fix...

3,149 posts

Posted:
Geeky offtopic Digression

Why is HoP so rubbish at dealing with long urls?

especially seeing as any thread you go to via the search function is given an URL that's too large to fit in UBB tags.

(hence coleman's non-working 5beat links shown in the 4th post on this thread)

End of Geeky offtopic Digression

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
OMFG this tread is awsome. Thank you Simian. biggrin

If i could offer a piece of advice?

U might want to move the link's post to the top post, ie cut from 3bt weave down to frd btb 5bt and paste it in your initial post for easy finding. (That is AFTER you use ur safety net "notepad" cause we all konw what happens when u try to move to much stuff at once round here *crash*)

If your having trouble with 5bt for btb, it shouldnt take u too long, im sure u have for btb 4bt nailed? And rev 5bt? Its rather tricky to get your wrist to wrap all the way around the other, maybe u could try it without your poi, and after you know you have the motion, then work on hip work and turning. Its a little bizare, i was going straight into 7bt for btb wraps eek not so nice when they are on fire meditate

Maybe i could find some waist wrap threads and "unite" them....Spiral X gave me this sick link https://www.semlyen.net/cosmosjugglers/lib/lesson17.pdf

3,149 posts

Posted:
dude, i already got that link printed out in my bedroom biggrin
i've never met Anna Jillings, but i think i love her ubblove

i'm not gonna bother putting those links in the top post. i'm gonna sort them out better then stuff them in a new thread. This is more of a Work In Progress thread asking others to lend a hand.

and yes, notepad is my friend wink

LeifGOLD Member
56 posts

Posted:
This sort of thing, as amazingly helpful as it is,would probably appear better as an independent page than as a thread. There will be too much reading involved, and I'm afraid it will not wind up being as resourceful as we probably would all like for it to be.

I would bet that if we pooled our efforts and compiled an organized link list of most all of the thread links we would like to have listed here, that Malcom would probably post it for us. It seems like it would be helpful for all of us and would help organize the forums a little better. Then we could just use this thread for when people can't find something that is not linked to on the list we compile.
Just suggestions,
Leif

What else can I say? TamingFire.Com

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a plan, although the page would have to be flagged up VERY heavily on the moves threads page so people don't just post without looking at it. I like the idea of a page for it all though, although the joy of it being on a post is that new threads can be added to it through user editing, which would make life easy for everyone.

Although if we get good enough threads now, there shouldn't be much need for editing in the future, as long as people actually use these resources.. newbs and the like, hopefully they'll notice the helpful threads page and make use of it!

Thoreau

3,149 posts

Posted:
my plan is to give the finished list to a (tall, blonde) site administrator so he can do with it as he will.

Dom loves it when i give him extra work to do. He really does. i can tell. ubbangel

thought i'd share tonights progress with list editing. Getting rid of the unhelpful threads and so forth.

Anyhoo, comments or additions most gladly welcomed

Thats it for tonight. i'd have done a bit more, but got sidetracked by a long-time-no-see-pixie and a quest into the dark underbelly of HoP's thread numbering system.

i really should go to bed. or see a counsellor about my HoP addiction...
EDITED_BY: simian (1102122980)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think it'd be good if these links were attached to the moves section

Let's relight this forum ubblove

3,149 posts

Posted:
hold yer 'orses

i aint been done finished yet...

y'know, if someone else could find me advice on how to do the butterfly, and reels, then it'd get done quicker...

smile

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
"why I should stick my neck out for you is quite beyond my capacity" wink *Ok so i stole that off Dantana, who stole it off c3po* :P
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Butterfly/TTN weave:

Good thread here [Old link]

Which contains another link here : which wont work frown

FFS! Why do all PK's links go straight back to the community ubbloco And even his secret 4bt ttn videos are down frown In fact most of these links are broken!

2002 short description found here : [Old link]

OMFG the Jo-5bt bfly weave video frown here is the linkage... https://jez.i8.com/Jo-5bt-bfl-weave.wmv

In fact all the old video links are down, and half the hop links go back to the home page... this is harder than it looks umm
Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1102049011)

3,149 posts

Posted:
cheers dude, i'll check em out smile

Next couple of bits of the list:

EDIT - list moved to top of thread
EDITED_BY: simian (1102122918)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well done. Once this is reworked and prettied up, maybe it should be made into a sticky? Or even an ARTICLE.

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
just for the hell of it and this would be useful

BUMP!

back

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
good thinking! smile

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Great find!

It's so difficult to find all this stuff, so much information is scattered in so many threads, and many are only saying "do a search!"

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Very nice smile

POI THEO(R)IST

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
*ahem*

just bumping the best thread ever smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
oh my goodness - look! I used to be helpful! eek

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

this is a very helpful BTB Waistwrap thread from a while ago. it's quite funny.......

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Some helpful admin should sticky this... smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Page: