JesssicaPSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
im new to spinning but would like to do some staff spinning. i have not interest in fire spinning atthis time but would like to know what would be the best way to make a staff for contact spinning. i
my first thought was 1" doweling about 5' long decorated with taps much like you would tape a hoop. maybe screw eyes on the ends for ribbons and shinys. this i just something for me to do at our local faire to keep kids entertained in our gypsy camp. am i on the right track? any constructive suggestions welcome.

JesssicaPSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
would you suggest following a tutoriol on contact staff or fire staff or make something more like a bo staff?

Adam HendricksBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Dowels can sometimes have a bow in them or can be uneven. They also tent to be on the lighter side. Hit up any Lowe's or home improvement store and grab a broom/mop handle. They are heavy, smooth, even and fitting small weighted ends on them if you want that kind of thing will be easy.

Only down side is a slightly shorter length than you can get with a dowel. I have used themy for my regular staff practice as well as cut 2 down a little for my doubles practice and love them. Made to be beat up too so as you learn drops are no big deal.

Good luck.