Forums > Help! > Flowers and Petal Poi

Login/Join to Participate

fran.var.vilSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
Hi, i have a question over this.

I found very many sites with images with 1:1, 1:2, 2:3 and other numbers, when explaining the flowers... The true, i dont understand this.

What mean?

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
youre going to have to link to a couple of the sites for the ratio; eg hand:poi ratio would be, 1:1 is just an extension as hand and poi both do one beat, 1:2 could be hand does 1 beat while poi does 2. or it could be left:right ratio where each poi is at different speeds or something

its most likely hand:poi ratio and while it can be useful it can also be very confusing at times (especially with antispin being brought into it). heres some videos that might help if numbers are confusing you

playpoi's flower tutorial series episode 1:

drex's flower tutorial series episode 1:

drex's linear extension series episode 1:

(not entirely useful for learning flowers initially but can be very useful to advance further once you can do flowers)

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

fran.var.vilSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
My problem is with this table: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3f/1d/89/3f1d895901f9ac5082c7ba6cbe79bc87.jpg

I not understand, with your answer i understand, but no.

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
spent 10mins trying to write out what i thought it was, then in trying to find things to help explain what i was saying discovered i was slightly wrong haha. the ratio is mentioned a couple of times in this https://sirlorq.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/bop-manual-small.pdf
(see bottom of page 5 for first mention) basically the ratio is number of beats your hand does to the number of beats your prop (poi) does (ie hand:poi ratio)

im still reading through the link above but my mind is starting to shutdown a lil haha. id recommend watching a few videos like the ones i linked earlier alongside reading stuff to get your head around things. also there are a few simulations on the internet you can use that can be useful for patterns eg https://stevecj.github.io/html-js-recreations/poi-spinning-simulation.html
(there are some more sophisticated ones but thats the first i could find on google)

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh