Forums > Help! > performing for the first time

Login/Join to Participate

fiery duskSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
So... This is the situation. I'm doing a show for my school and I've never performed by myself before. (I used to be in a cheer team) Anyway... Is there anything that I should expect? And are there any moves that a crowd likes more than others? (there's no fire allowed in the hall so nice big phat plumes are out of the question)

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
(im assuming your toy of choice is poi) choreograph a routine to a song that people will recognise -the more popular the better, but enjoying yourself will come across to crowds so ensure you enjoy spinning to it wink while fire is out of the question, if you have LED then tricks that have fancy looking patterns (eg flowers) will be appreciated most by the crowd, especially if you can get the room to be dark. also with LED a costume with reflective properties (eg glitter, mirrors, gems, bright colours etc) will work great. for non-LED/fire stuff, the more complicated the trick looks the better and changing tempo throughout the routine will keep their attention

this is general thoughts after not enough sleep, i may add more at some point smile

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

fiery duskSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:

Sorry forgot to state staff :-P I'm assuming that most of the stuff you said should still apply?
Maybe a bit more speed work than with poi?
A bit more tracing?
Ugh auditions are soon?

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
staff is much easier to make look exciting to audiences in the light (without LED/Fire) than poi i find; have a look at fighting moves and add a few in along with some shouting, works even better with a ninja/monk style costume. with LED i think bigger changes in tempo work well -ie switching between 'ive had 40 cups of coffee' and 'i just woke up' speeds quickly and regularly. other than that, same as before

imo the best song for staff;

grin
if the audience dont like the song (...weirdos) then they'll at least get a giggle out of the outdatednessity wink

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh