tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
heya muffin.

one thing that can be a big help with speed (was for me anyway) is practicing with one poi at a time. when i was learning i found i was often spinning really fast because i didn't know what else to do. try using one at a time and really focus on the shapes your making--the focus will probably slow you down naturally.

when each hand gets a little more comfortable, it'll make going a bit slower a little more natural. then you can save the goose eggs for special occasions!

Fluidity.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
yeah, most beginners spin really fast. I'm not actually that sure why????

Maybe because it is easier to keep the poi in a plane if you do. As a beginner, you do not have much plane control so spinning slower and holding your planes would be more difficult.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
when i first got handed a pair of poi my mate teaching me said "hit yourself with them first, get used to that as you'll do it a lot". he was right, but it shouldnt take long to either stop hitting yourself or get used to the hits (...with the exception of nutshots. i dont know anyone who could get used to that lol)

as for speed, its the same for most beginners; the 2 methods i found works in slowing down is either really focusing on it (see what the minimal effort is you need to put in for it to do 1 spin then try to spin constantly at that speed for a few mins) or use longer poi (a physics student told me that technically longer poi spin faster but because theyre further away from the fulcrum -your hand- they look/feel like theyre spinning slower). the other option is to just accept the speed, it might make learning new tricks a bit harder but it can be part of your own personal style of spinning smile

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh