PoisonDawnBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
Kevlar wick is hard to get when you dont have a card or way to buy it online constantly. Does anyone know a substitute for it that wont melt onto the steel props and ruin the prop?

"Like a Dragon?" "Yes, I suppose like a Dragon."

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Are your wicks not lasting very long? Or are you making a bunch of new wicks? My own fire poi set have lasted well over a year and a half (admittedly I usually only burn once a week or so outside of festivals and holidays), and other peeps I know seem to reckon that wicks should last at least a year unless they're getting bashed around all the time.

My first suggestion would be to see if you can find a prop making perp in your area, because they'd usually have a pretty good supply of wick on them and (hopefully) be willing to sell. Failing that, and seeing that you listed your location as being in the US, maybe try contacting some of the bigger prop makers (like Burning Passion, NeedtoBurn, Ninja Pyrate and so on and so forth) and seeing if you could work out some other sort of payment method? Honestly only suggesting this because I don't really know of any relatively available and useful substitutes :L

In terms of alternative materials, if you're in a pinch you could go really oldschool and make cotton wicks lawl, although as far as I'm aware they'll fall apart pretty much after the first burn so not really a viable option unless you don't mind re-wicking all the time and having bits of burning cotton/ash flying off your poi. Unfortunately, most non-synthetic wicking materials will burn, and most synthetic materials will melt, and the stuff that won't is pretty much in the same situation of not being readily available as our kevlar wicking is, if not worse.
Charlie Cushing/Lanternsmith has been working on a pretty nifty looking prototype fire poi, with a carbon fibre jacket around some sort of absorbent wicking (probably also kevlar, I have no idea what's inside), but from what I've read of the thread, the carbon fibre is apparently really delicate in terms of abrasion resistance and they need to be treated really carefully to preserve it. According to him though, the carbon fibre protects the insides well enough that they should last for decades. (Album w/Comments on Astrid Poi)
That's the only one I've seen pictures of, and heard more than a passing mention of. I have also heard other peeps talk about props that use some sort of flame resistant covering over a frame and absorbent material, but only really in passing, and with very few details.

That's all I know, hope it helps at least a little, and that you figure something out smile

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

PoisonDawnBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
I wonder if I could send them a money order. I burn 1-3 times a week, and im honestly not positive yet how to know when to change my wicks. Theyre burned all the way through, but not falling apart yet. I kindof wanted t know just in case, because I feel like the time is coming for that. Thanks a lot! When I order more wick, i'll take better care of it so it lasts longer, I sometimes let it burn until the flame goes out on its own, which I hear youre not supposed to do.

"Like a Dragon?" "Yes, I suppose like a Dragon."