Forums > Other Toys > Glueing Kevlar Wick To Steel

Login/Join to Participate

BlaiseCarlislemember
4 posts

Posted:
What kind of glue do people find best for sticking kevlar wick to steel?

I'm working on a fire sword, but I have a lot of unusual requirements for it, so I can't rely on a lot of the normal methods for attaching the kevlar.

Sorry if this has already been asked - I couldn't find anything on the search, and got an error when I tried the advanced search.

EDITED_BY: BlaiseCarlisle (1367526388)

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
What types of requirements? Would you be able to use rivets, or even Kevlar thread to sew it on?

I don't know much about glue and Kevlar, but I do know that people use PVA based glue,(ie white school glue or Elmer's glue), to repair frays in Kevlar wicks.

Personally, I wouldn't trust just glue.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

BlaiseCarlislemember
4 posts

Posted:
I need it to look normal on one side, with the kevlar hidden on the other. Plus it also has to be able to fit into the sheath.

Along with the glue, I'm going to have metal welded at either end of the kevlar. I have a magic DVD that says how to make it, however I wanted to find out what the strongest possible glue would be, as I would like for it to be as safe as possible.

I'll keep the rivets and thread in mind as well, although it might not be so easy to make them blend in enough.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Wow. That should be interesting.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

corestripemember
40 posts

Posted:
What about a hacksaw style system to hold the kevlar wick in place on the 1 side. sheath might not work right but you could still hip holster it with a hammer holder steel hoop thing that's on tool belts...And to reiterate on the hacksaw idea a still eyelit on the point installed in the kevlar wick, and a small clamping device with a bolt &wingnut to pull the wick tight ....you would have to weld or epoxie a way to hold the clamping device in place but still operational ...so wicks can be replaced.

How goes it ?¿