Forums > Help! > Replacing Fire Poi Heads?

Login/Join to Participate

nshaktiBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
I have tried doing a topic search but cannot seem to find the information I'm looking for:

I'm interested in getting myself a pair of HOP oval chain link fire poi, but would like advice on what to do once the wicks burn through? Is it a case of needing to buy replacement heads each time this happens, or do most HOP fire poi have a tube core so only the fabric needs replacing? I cannot clearly see from product pictures.

Any advice on how to replace wicks in an easy/cost-effective way?

It might be worth adding I'm looking for light to medium burns.

Thanks.

EDITED_BY: nshakti (1375896556)

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
making your own wicks is usually the cheapest method (and depending on where you are in the world, might be easier than sending away for a new one) but its definately not a good idea if its your first set of fire poi

depending on the head shape, the kevlar is folded/rolled/tied in a specific method. sometimes this is done around a bolt, sometimes the bolt(s) is attached after drilling a hole through a part of the head. the chain then attaches to the bolt. there are topics (and some videos) on how to make each head type but again, not a good idea if its your first set

wicks will generally take a long time to 'burn through', ive had a set for over 2yrs and its still in good shape

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

MujicianSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
So I would have to drill through the Kevlar right? I've just taken off my old wicks and have wracked my brain trying to think of ways to get the screws and bolts back through. I just thought about drilling but now I've tried the threads just wrap around the drill bit. Any helpful videos anywhere on this? I'm really frustrated now :-(

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
you can put the bolts back in the same holes, though it is annoyingly fidgety to do it as you have to line the holes up on each layer without it loosening (if it becomes too loose then it can come apart). a lot of people will extend the lifetime of a fire head by taking it apart and putting it back together with the originally inside side on the outside (this sounds confusing but the phrase 'inside out' that most people use might confuse more)
if you are sure you want to use the same kevlar then drilling a new hole through is a bad idea as the previous holes will have frayed edges that are essentially damage that can split the kevlar or if its really frayed then flake off when on fire

the simplest method to rewick using the same holes is to have the bolt go through the holes in each layer as you wrap it; put the bolt through the first hole then wrap the kevlar and put the bolt through the second hole, from the 3rd hole onwards you will need to tightly pinch the kevlar together and take it off the bolt and then put it back on but through the 3 holes (then repeat until you reach the last hole). it sounds obvious but many people will spend ages trying to line the holes up without using the bolt until they put it in at the end which can fail rather easily

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh