Forums > Technical Discussion > blacklight emitting poi/staff/contact balls?

Login/Join to Participate

ElsnuGOLD Member
Aspiring part-time performer
11 posts

Posted:
i was looking at the tribal neon dance paint and i was wondering if anyone has thought to make blacklight emitting poi or contact staffs or contact juggling balls which would light up the paint as the toy moves around your body it would make a lovely night act

why have these not been made or have i not seached enough?

EDITED_BY: Elsnu (1286781937)
EDIT_REASON: typo

Merow

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I think black light bulbs are expensive and fragile - I don't know if you can get black light LED's

Glow toys are sensetive at the best of times without a glass bulb inside.

Scrap that you CAN get blacklight LED's
https://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/Lighting/bltled_BlackLightLED.html

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Sure, that's a fine idea, so long as you don't look at them directly. I think there is a blinding issue, like staring at the sun.

ElsnuGOLD Member
11 posts

Posted:
oh thanks for the link i'm kind of tempted to buy some parts now and see if i can make some poi

Merow

ElsnuGOLD Member
11 posts

Posted:
well i was thinking if i put the lights in a ball casing like the LED Glow Ball poi sold in HoP it wouldn't be so bad but hopefully still bright enough to highlight the body paint

Merow

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Before trying to solder black light LEDs into an existing device, check their voltage requirements. Higher frequency LEDs like blue or "uv" can be finicky, and in many devices require their own circuit.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
i have seen black light hoops, they looked pretty cool with fluro costumeing

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Aerotech used to offer UV LEDs on their props, and I had a prototype UV LED contact ball a while back.

It's an odd one as it's not a particularly "bright" colour, it's more the effect it creates than the colour itself.

To what end would you want UV-emitting props? In my mind you might as well get a purple LED, or use a UV flood/spot light to create the same effect...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Though having said that, I saw an awesome show with a guy who had a UV-acrylic and a head-torch with UV LEDs, so whenever he looked at the ball it "lit up".

*The ball itself was clear/UV, it didn't have LEDs in it

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DanwoodzSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
I did a design and technology project in school using about 50 violet LEDs. They were advertised as UV like, because they still make white things fluoresce. They came with no safety warning and theres plenty of visible light coming off them so they seem safe. I'd recommend seeing how LEDs like these work with your fluorescent body paint, because the bright violet colour looks amazing anyway. I wish I had more electronic know how now, got two sets of poi that are unreliable, would be good to mess about with different LEDs.

ElsnuGOLD Member
11 posts

Posted:
i have a few experiment ideas for the future
Experiment 1: get a uv 9 LED torch and gut the insides to insert into a poi ball case
Experiment 2: get a uv keyring torch and gut the insides to attach a switch and insert into a clear ball case (this would be one the least bright i think)
Experiment 3: purchase UV LED lights and replace LEDs in glow poi circuit

I will start testing when i have more time but for now i'll do more research

Merow

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Would possibly look cool if they produced a black light beam and you spun in an enclosed space lighting a design surrounding you on 2-3 sides

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

nathan2jzSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
Has anybody had any luck on this one yet? I want to light my aurora foxy socks from the inside rather than needing black lights and a dark room to plug them in. I think im going to try and solder in my own LEDs.