Forums > Other Toys > Throwing knives and tips

Login/Join to Participate

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
I did a search, really i did. so i hope this hasn't been covered. Lastnight i bought a Pair of shrowing knives. Each about 4 or 6 inches long (didn't actually measusre them and for the fact that i'm at school means i can't right now :-p) but does anyone have any tips/trick/and info on throwing them or even sharpening them. Tankies! hug

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Google has plenty wink

Ie been interested in throwing knives, and found the best way to do was to *UCOF talked crap 'ere*, and follow through after the throw with your hand.

shrug

Other than that.. I can be of no help.
EDITED_BY: UnConvincinglyOvertlyFunny (1147829802)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I actually thouhgt that holding the blade and then following through post throw was the best option- its the method that has worked best with non throwing knives (in my experience) and a proper, blade heavy throwing knife should quickly stabalise in the air and fly true.

Thats from my experiences, not in any way a properly educated opinion smile

Be careful BTW- knives that bounce out of snap/ splinetr if they hit a hard surface are obviously very dangerous.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
A> Choose a target that is a solid wood with a straight grain. Plywood, composite board and stuff like that are really bad to practice on and will bounce back at you.

B> You shouldn't have to sharpen them. They should have arrived sharp. Should you need to, a sharpening leather or wet stone are your best choices. Remember to NOT go back and forth with it as it causes a cross grain in the blade which will kill it sooner.

C> Hold it from the blade, not the handle. The wind up comes from beside the ear, the down motion needs to be directly forward..not side to side. Release should be just prior to the arm coming down horizontally forward. If you wait too long it will hit low. If you release to early it will fly high.
Use your elbow more than your wrist or your shoulder for the motion.

I noticed you are in Ma. Did you get them from Harry? I know that he will give lessons if you buy his blades. He is fabulous.

Hope this helps...best to you!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey,

Some good info so far. However, holding them from the blade or handle depends on the design. There are throwing knives out there that are designed for one or the other.

For most throwing knives, a small file will work better for dealing with dents and sharpening the tip. The wet stone is good for Bowie knife, however.

You can usually pick up Harry K. McEvoy's little book, 'Knife Throwing, A Practical Guide' used. Its a good little beginner's guide.

And a bit of advice... buy a pair of raquet ball glasses, or something similar. You never know when a knife may bounce back. And remember the police will consider them a weapon!

Cheers!
Patrick

ubbloco weavesmiley juggle ubbloco

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
they were a lil 12 dollor vertion pair small and light.. tey are from budk.com (i get the mag so i found out it was marked up 3 times fromt eh store -.-

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I'll agree to some of whats up there. I don't think it's good to *only* learn to throw by the blade however, it's good to learn it both ways. Different people will swear by different ways though, so it's really up to you. The biggest trick that I've found is to lock your wrist, don't flick it. Snapping the wrist introduces extra spin, which isn't always completely controllable, throw from the elbow to be more consistant

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
if you pass clubsm its really easy, just visualise you passing partner and go for the head!

seriously, i got thowing knives first time (by the handle, double spin to target) by visualising it as a vicious tomahawk throw. helps if your passing partner is anoying (hi will wave )

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I like to throw mine straight, tho i have been know to use the NX method. The problem with them spining is that its hard to get the range perfect. You have to measure how many times it rotates; or the handle might strike instead of the blade. Only way i have figured that is buy throwing alot untill you know where to hold it and how much to flick it at a certain range. If the handles break you can grind the backs down so they go in all directions smile

They can be very dangerous and before i got use to them, i had them bounce back at me more than afew times; so dont throw them HARD and stand a fair way (6m+) from the target. They dont have to go hard to stick, infact im sure the harder you throw them the more chance of mistakes or they will bounce back.

Good luck and be carefull

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I must say though, it is *very* satisfying to get that nice solid *chunk* sound while throwing hatchets and splitting the block... bad for the throwing block but it is fun...

Oh, and for your best block you want the endgrain of the wood not sidegrain. Get a round from a tree if you can

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
i just gotta figure out how to throw them.. I've been fartin around with a big ol peice of cardboard in my room

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Look at me, im useful.

bounce

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I looked at that yesterday when I ordered my throwing knives, was waiting to post it as I read down the thread but now I don't have to smile

https://users.rcn.com/comlogic/knife/throwing/grips/grips.htm

can be found through clicking things on the previously mentioned site. You can throw from the blade or handle depending on what the knife is.

Now I just need my friend to get back from New Zealand so I can mow her field, make a target and practice safely...bar the scary rebounding knives.
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1147852387)

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
"Now I just need my friend to get back from New Zealand so I can mow her field"
*giggles*

ive found throwing pens to be a good practive for throwing knives/other objects

safer, you get a definate mark when you hit, and if it bounces back, you dont have to worry about it going through your foot, a bit of blutac/putty as weight and you're laughing

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
[qoute:Subject]Throwing knives and tips

Don't miss?

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Tj ONeIrish Lion
6 posts

Posted:
Other than pens, butter knives r used by a lot of throwers. I thought I was being joked to when I first heard that but it's true, they will stick in ur targets and while learning they're a lot safer if/when they bounce back. Also I'm not sure if this was actually said on here, didn't see it if so, but at the Very most u only want, from the tip, the first 1"-1 1/2" sharp and that's even more just to make the wedge shape than it is about being able to cut.

HAVE FUN N BE SAFE

Never heard of poi til I bought my first set of throwing knives. Searched for any help learning my new knife hobby n this site came up. Now I wanna learn poi, so looks like I went from having no hobbies to learning 2 of them at once.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I usually grip by the blade and try to get a good amount of rotation. Be consistant.

Oh, and I'm with FRD. Don't miss.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

jacktimomember
6 posts

Posted:
You can usually pick up Harry K. McEvoy's little book, 'Knife Throwing, A Practical Guide' used. Its a good little beginner's guide.

corestripemember
40 posts

Posted:
Be smooth , stand in the same spot until you start to see what's going wrong and what's going right , its all about distance , the smaller the knife the harder its going to be , they will not balance out and fly true they will tumble the hole flight

How goes it ?¿

aflintoff02Member
1 post

Posted:
A good throwing knife should be 12-16 inches in length. Being a beginner, it is imperative that you have a soft and large target so that you practice on the throwing process and not on the target. Always buy the best quality throwing knives, I would recommend https://chicagoknifeworks.com/
for purchasing knives according to your needs.