eonxxaBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Hiiii everyone. I'm new to the forums. My name is angie. I'm super interested in learning fire poi and staff. I'm sure you guys might be sick of seeing posts like these of noobs asking for help but i thought this would be a great way to get some advice and tips on how to get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
first bit of advice; pick up the poi/staff and just mess about

second bit; have a look at video tutorials here (or if possible someone you know who knows how to use it already) and then practice for a while

third bit; combine advice #1 and #2 to be awesome

*sidenote: kinda drunk when i typed this, but still good/honest advice*

[edit]
also, learn everything with practice stuff first before fire stuff (though i prefer using an unlit fire staff to practice)
EDITED_BY: ABOBer92 (1370216549)

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
Heya. Welcome to the site. Cool to hear that you're interested in spinning, you'll start to love it you don't already.

As far as getting started goes, grab some socks and tennis balls or a broomstick and start playing. There are buckets of tutorial videos here on HoP under the "learn" tab on the top of the page that will be a huge help.

Also just try searching the forum threads. This place has good, deep roots and loads of information is free for the taking if you just look around. If you have specific questions, I'm no expert, but I'm happy to help as I can, and there are a lot of other member who are a lot more experienced than I am that have got all kinds of wisdom they can share.

My only advice on starting would be to be sure to take the time to enjoy spinning without fire. There's nothing wrong with fire, but try not to just look at spinning as a means to an end there. Take your time, enjoy being a beginner (I've been at this for almost a year, and I'm still enjoying it!), and have fun in the learning.

Welcome again to the site, see you around the forums.

Fluidity.

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
ABob posted while I was still typing. Tricky...

Fluidity.

eonxxaBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
thanks guys grin
i had made my own homemade poi with a sack of rice stuffed in a baggie and put into a sock and using a long shoelace to spin. which i can use now to practice with till i can afford the real one haha

as for a staff though im not too sure what i could use right now to start practicing with.

any first beginner spins or any pointers anyone has to give? whats the best way to learn? should i just teach myself with the help of youtube and and tutorials? or find lessons or someone to teach me?

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
with poi i started off with helping a mate with stuff (watching what he did, though in mindset of 'im never going to be able to do that) before going to a circus school/workshop (where i lost that mindset and got addicted lol) learning to juggle and spin poi from other people. whereas with staff, a guy came along to the circus class about a year after i joined with one and didnt know how to use it and i borrowed it, accidentally taught myself 3-4 basic things and then relied on youtube until i got to the level i am now where im able to help teach the class

so really there isnt a single way to learn, if you can try to learn from a combination of other people, internets and messing around yourself.
personal recommendation is if you decide to focus on internet learning, dont just watch 1 vid and learn that move before moving on; watch a few and try them out, this way if you get annoyed at not learning one move you can try another for a while before coming back

as for staff to practice with, wooden broom handle is often the easiest/best recommendation until you can afford a proper staff (or decide to make one of your own, there are tutorials for that and other equipment too)

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

eonxxaBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
ive been practicing poi i know a little bit more now grin
any advice for staff and double staff?
whats the usual length for them?

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
roughly from the floor to your chin for single staff and im not sure on double but from the look of what people in tutorials use id say about shoulder to knee length

...i know this sounds strange as a way of describing length but it personalises it to you and often ends up measuring accurately to your body for certain tricks to be easier