Forums > Social Chat > Regular \'ball\' shaped poi compared to the \'ninja\' type

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
twigSILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone

I have been having problems with some LED Poi that I have - they are the traditional 'ball' shape, I am going to buy these

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Stealth-Ninja-V3-LED-Poi-with-Cole-Cords

I guess My question is does the difference in shape make a difference to the technique you have to use? i.e because they are longer are they easier to kinda mess up with and hit yourself?

I am only a beginner so I am a bit worried about this!

Thanks in advance!

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
It just takes practice. It almost always takes some time to get used to a new pair.

Are they too long?

Stick with it, you'll get it. yes

My new podpoi came today.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

twigSILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:
I hope i do! How are you finding them?
EDITED_BY: twig (1371624389)

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Well I've had my first pair of podpoi since last December. They Are the best poi I have ever spun. I tell everyone about them and find them perfectly weighted and easy to learn new moves with.

I am currently working on the matrix move (poi not staff), and meltdowns, as well as wallplane flower hybrids and variations.

The pair of podpoi I just bought I got with the new glow in the dark pomgrip silicone knob handles. They are great. I absolutely love the knobs. Now I am beginning to incorporate throws and catches into my spinning.

The knobs are taking a while to get used to (I've only ever used single and double loop handles before) but I love them already and know that they will add greatly to my spinning abilities.

Best of luck,
-Wolf

twigSILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:
Awesome! I agree abiut podpoi in general, they are so amazing, i love how adjustable tthey are grin it sounds like you are a natural! Youve learnt alot for only doing poi a year or so, i am moving along like a little bug!

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Yup they are great.

I wouldn't quite say I'm a natural though. I was always about the most uncoordinated person there could possibly be. Couldn't catch anything, throw anything, or spin anything without hitting myself in the face.

Poi has completely mad me a new person.

Since poi, complete strangers will tell me how coordinated I am. I am calmer, more patient, persistant, and the list only goes on. Poi was the second best thing that has ever happened to me thus far in life.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Just stick with it. It's taken a lot of practice (and bruises), to get to where I am now.

twigSILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:
Well good for you! I must admit it certainly seems to adding a new dimension to my life, and for some reason if I practice for like a decent length of time, I feel like things look different or they are moving more slowly than they actually are, like the catching you mentioned, before I couldnt even catch a ball on a string but now I can pluck it out of the air like it was obvious and simple all along! That lasts for a few hours. I sound like a fruitcake! lol.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
That's great twig! I'm so glad your beginning to see the lasting positive effects of the flow arts.

twigSILVER Member
44 posts

Posted:
I'm so sorry that this is becoming my vent/frustration thread but I can only do the 4 beat corkscrew with my right hand leading, when i try with my left hand leading its just sort of a 2-beat mess!! and now my arms are aching GRRRR!!!

Page: