Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Anybody know the one handed corkscrew?

Login/Join to Participate

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Last night I was watching this video on YouTube where a guy went from a one handed butterfly to a one handed corkscrew before going back to the butterfly before switching back to both hands. Anybody out there got any advice or any links to a decent tutorial? I didn't see anything in the lessons section here unless I just flat out missed it....

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I havn't played with it. I would look for meteor videos. Look for a meteor weave tutorial and that should tell you. A meteor is (basicly) 2 poi glued together at the ends.

So, I should think the poi are held together at ends.

Try this

Non-Https Image Link

Do a standard 2 bt weave with 1 poi. Now do the same thing with 2 poi in 1 hand, but make the 2nd one shorter (pic one) and do the same 2bt weave again. Once you get comfortable doing it with 1 long and 1 short, increase the length of the short one a little at a time until it's like picture 2, doing the same 2 bt weave.

Once you have that, a corkscrew is basicly a weave on floor/ceiling plane. So now take said 2 bt weave, turn it 90° so it's on the floor and ciling plane and there you have the 1 handed corkscrew.

Hope this helps, best I can do with MSpaint.
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1265591674)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Mmkay, this is the guy's video. The trick I'm talking about occurs at roughly 00:43-00:46. I sent him a message asking about it, but thought I could kick start a discussion on this clever looking move beforehand...

EDITED_BY: brenonfire413 (1265604104)

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
That picture gives you a very basic idea of how to do it.

I doubt there are any videos on how to do that specefic thing. I'm not sure many people do that much 1 handed spinning (that I have seen). However, these 2 videos should help you get the idea.

+ remember, a corkscrew is exactly the same as a weave except in a different plane.

Obv without tieing your poi together.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Thanks, appreciate the help. I'll give it a shot and let you know here in a few days if I'm having much luck or not. I think one handed tricks are really fun, it's cool seeing somebody do a trick with both hands then later go back and do the same thing one handed.

Mtnsailor7SILVER Member
Spinner
6 posts

Posted:
I dont think the poi need to be different lenghths. I have the poi handles in my palm, on extending on the pinky side, the other between my thumb and forefinger. It is alot like the regular corkscrew, but a little more force on the pinky side. You might want to try the corkscew with one poi extending from the pinky side and leave the other off to the side to start. I might make a video if I get the time and motivation. haha