Forums > Technical Discussion > Fire Meteor Hammer/Puppyhammer preferences?

Login/Join to Participate

Austin_HaffeySILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Hey,

I'm thinking about getting in to Meteor hammers, right now i do Ropedart and some devil sticks, and i was curious about other people's preferences with their meteor hammers, mainly the type of head it uses.

I made my own rope dart, so it wouldn't be that difficult to make my own, but what would you suggest for the head? I was looking at the Mura, Monkeyfist, and Cathedral.

The other thing i was also looking at was making my own Puppyhammer, and i found the other threads regarding that and the specific dimensions it needs, but the same issue arises when talking about the head of the puppyhammer. Cathedral, Mura or Monkeyfist?

If you have any input on the topic, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I use monkey fists. No particular reason other that that they are the best wick type I know of for big flames.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Alright, thanks for the response. Have you had any previous experience with other heads on your poi, meteor hammer or other items you use?

Also, looking at the three lengths of Meteor hammer that HomeofPoi stocks, 1.4m, 1.6m, 1.8m, around what length, compared to your body do you prefer? By that i mean, do you like meteor hammers to be around the length of your armspan? I've been trying to find information on this and there's not really a general consensus.

And this is completely unrelated, but i've seen people do the double staff performance, do you think double meteor hammer could work (they'd probably have to be the shorter length to manage the solo-handwork)?
EDITED_BY: Austin_Haffey (1358116319)

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
From what I've seen, stitched/knotted like Isis or HoP twista wicks produce much larger flames than monkeyfist wicks do.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I spin poi, staff, and Levi-stick, and have experimented with meteor, puppy hammer, kitty wrench (same as puppy hammer but with levisticks on the ends, I did not name it that), contact staff, double staff, and double meteor.

I didn't really go far with double meteor, but I imagine if one were to really put their soul into learning it, it could be quite spectacular.

I have used monkey fist, Isis, twista, barrel, and several others, Isis and twista wicks do produce large flames, but I still prefer monkeyfists. Not that they are better than all the others, but they are my personal preference. Usually, I find that longer cylindrical poi heads do not spin quite the same way as a sphereical head.

As to the length of a single meteor, I like it to be my height. (Which is coincidentally the same as my arm span.)

Good luck with it all.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Cool. I placed my order earlier, getting the one more my height as i thought that would probably be preferable. I can't wait to get my hands on it, but the last time i ordered from HomeofPoi, it took about a week to get the shipment to me. Not that i'm complaining or anything, they estimated around 2 weeks so i was very happy with that speed.