cosmic_circusmember
10 posts

Posted:
If this unexplainable folly of fun still exists in England or at least the uk, does anybody know of a group who are lookin for someone.
Street theatre has existed through the ages and here in France where i am staying it flourishes and its is so great to see people earning enough to get by on having street trheatre concerning people stuck in suitcases and marionettes its is a fantastic way of life and it is the way i want to go but it seems to have disappeared into the wings since well i don't know. Anyone help??

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quick question for clarification..

Are you talking street theater, where you set up with a group on the street and actually do skits and skills and are backed by the local government as well as allowed to pick up tips OR are you talking busking, where you perform arbitrarily on the street and hope for the best as far as pay?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

cosmic_circusmember
10 posts

Posted:
well in england i don't think you can get backed by any local gov. like in france you just have to go about it on your own free accord.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Then you may have answered your own question...
quote:
you just have to go about it on your own free accord
I think finding a group who are looking for someone sound smore like an organised circus or a standard 9-5 job.

Street Theatre tends to be people who know each other VERY well getting together or single people on their own. There's likely to be the odd one-in-a-million exception, like someone who has a show set up with a partner and that partner is now not available, but finding someone in situation is likely to be nigh on impossible.

Could we have a little more direct info on what you want to do?

Fire? Acrobatics? Comedy? Pure Theatre? Novelty? Juggling? etc etc

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

cosmic_circusmember
10 posts

Posted:
what i am finding difficult to grasp is trying to find like minded people. I am a constitution where no one is interested in this kind of thing and although you ask me to be more focused in my outlook this is exactly what i don't want to do i want to be open to learning everything at the moment i am a poi, juggling and singing girl and i just want to meet someone passionate about theatre culture travelling to travel around say europe withouyt a care that we don't know what we are doing tomorrow or where we are sleeping.
Waking uop next to a lake in southern france and then performing in some random cabaret in barcelona.
hmmm....

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_circus:
what i am finding difficult to grasp is trying to find like minded people. I am a constitution where no one is interested in this kind of thing and although you ask me to be more focused in my outlook this is exactly what i don't want to do i want to be open to learning everything at the moment i am a poi, juggling and singing girl and i just want to meet someone passionate about theatre culture travelling to travel around say europe withouyt a care that we don't know what we are doing tomorrow or where we are sleeping.
Waking uop next to a lake in southern france and then performing in some random cabaret in barcelona.
hmmm....

Is there a juggling club near where you are in UK?
If so that's a good place to meet like minded people, from those who just want to learn a few skills, to those who do a bit of busking, to those who make a living from performing.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
What OneWheelDave said...try for performance groups, juggling clubs, local theatre and improv groups.

I would have to caution you about the lifestyle you wish to pursue for the moment. It can sound idyllic and wonderful, in a gypsy sort of way.

There is also the serious downsides of such a life, which, in my opinion, means I wouldn't consider it at all unless I was with someone I knew very well and who I trusted completely.

Lack of money can make a bad situation downright dangerous, and that is when you need trustworthy and sensible friends around you.

Also, unless you have SERIOUS credentials with you, the chance of getting employed in a cabaret or other work place is slim if you are a wandering traveller, unless there are 'other', dodgier aspects to the show.

My suggestion, would be to try the street theatre thing in your home-town to start withm, get your skills (crowd skills, not necessarily technical) to the point you know how to handle aggressive, drunk and clinically crazy onlookers.

Sorry to sound so negative about this, but it pays to be aware of potential problems as well as potential rewards...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I really wish I was good enough to set up a busking at. Man I watched Psycus when I was in Darwin every thrusday and sunday, I even saw them a few times out on Mitchel St.

hehe I think I spent about $230+ Oz. either at their stand or in donations for their act. Hrm... $110 for a set of double poi, $25 for devil sticks $45 for a diabolo ya I would say I easily dropped $60 into that hat in the month I was there hehehe man I miss those guys... anyhoo

I think it would be cool to be able to live off your trade.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
te POOKa they are trying to avoid being called street theatre but thats what they do some times, all above board with backing from the scotish arts council and so on.... there are loads of street theatre groups around in the UK, you just have to look! they are not hard to find and there are some pretty informative websites with group listings, try looking at the equity website they might have a big list of folk! cant remember the URL though so you will have to search for it.

HOP Newsletter