Forums > Social Chat > The fish that orbits Jupiter....

Login/Join to Participate

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Don't, whatever you do, read The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams.

Well actually do.

It's a brilliant book. A collection of random bits of writing taken from his computer. Including 11 chapters of the novel he was working on when he died (the Salmon of Doubt) - all entirely new, never before been printed/published.

The trouble is (and I don't want to spoil it for anyone here but...) he dies. Not the main character, Dirk Gently. But the writer himself, Mr Adams.

He just dies and stops writing. Right there in the middle of his story. Abruptly.

I was really enjoying it. It was going so well....

and now it's stopped. there is no more.

I feel like I've lost a friend.

I knew he was dead. I knew it when i bought the book. I'd read the introduction and the foreword by Stephen Fry. It said quite clearly he was dead.

I remember seeing it on the news at the time.... "Douglas Adams dies of a heart attack. Age 49..."

I was prepared.

But it still came as a colossal shock. When suddenly, he wasn't there telling me the story any more.

He'd been there to tell of his love for the Beatles. And how he introduced himself once with the aid of a cricket ball. How he didn't own a dog himself but was very friendly with 2 in Santa Fe. And how he loved Macs despite them being rubbish/troublesome/whatever.

How he regularly hired a man called Frank to smash bits out of his house for him in the name of restoration.

That he once ran across part of Africa in a rhino suit to raise awareness about poaching.

Or that, after 20 years, he was still trying to get Disney (or anyone else for that matter) to make a film version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I loved the writing style and wit so much so that I was going round finding hapless victims to read excerpts to. Not noticing that they oft times didn't find it as funny as I did.

Basically I was thoroughly enjoying reading the book.....

And it stopped.

Now I'll never know why the rhino escaped or if Dave ever managed to land in the swimming pool on Dave Hill.....

Meh

FyreFlyemember
26 posts

Posted:
Sorry.

It will take a few days to shake off the empty feeling of the loss of a story. (let alone the loss of Mr Addams)

Good Luck with it. Keep us posted....

Yesterday I thought I could not.
Today I am certain I can.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Read it recently myself.

Richard Dawkins lament in particular was really moving

A very sad, sad loss

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
he was a brilliant writer, i love the thought that the whole of creation can be derived from a fairy cake.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
*sniff* i loaned my douglas adams books to several friends....they all said that they understood my sense of humour far better afterwards...

if only i had a wife to plug my fairy cake into...

maybe ill have to program an electric monk to believe he is douglas adams so he can finish off the stories..? maybe not....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
I'm halfway through reading The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul at the moment. It's rather good, I think.

Douglas Adams was amazingly creative and also a wonderful Human Bean. He is sorely missed.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
reading this thread has made me realise that i haven't read any Douglas Adams for ages. Will have to dig out my copy of HHGTTG this weekend.

Have any of you ever mastered missing the ground? I have lots of scars to prove that I haven't!

if anyone hasn't seen it yet, the BBC have set up a form of tribute to Douglas at h2g2.com where people can post their own entries for a real Hitchhikers Guide.

[ 06. August 2003, 23:51: Message edited by: borismcnorris ]

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Indeed it seems like I was the last person on the planet to discover him. I'm about 3 quarters of my my through his trilogy (in 5 parts) and it is fantastic.

I find while reading his books that I can see where a lot of modern science-fiction and even cartoons have been influenced by him.....very interesting.

Anyway hope you're not all to jealous of me still being able to read his stuff for the first time.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I still haven't read the Salmon of Doubt, but I've read most (if not all) of his other books.

At one stage I tried to learn all of "The Deeper Meaning of Liff" but realised it was pointless unless other people knew what you were talking about.
Ho-hum

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Speaking of a HHGTTG movie, did you know there was a limited TV series, which covered the first two books? I'm fairly certain the BBC was behind it. The acting was OK, and the special effects looked like leftovers from a Dr. Who episode, but overall it wasn't half bad. It's also laced with graphic narrations of 'entries' from The Book.

I found the collected series on video in my local library.

Having said that, I think I'll go spin to the soothing, tranquil melodies of DISASTER AREA...

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Aww. Aren't americans cute....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been looking for this thread for ages...

Meh

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
awww.... *sniff* i miss Mr Adams now too frown a year after everybody else - well obviously was quite gutted at the time too, but just didn't have the appropriate internet medium to express it.... It's really sad to think that you will never know what the ending of the salmon of doubt was, keep waiting, but s'not going to happen *sob*

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Never fear. I'm sure he'll send Marvin back with the manuscript.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hitch hikers is back on Radio 4 at the moment.

Meh

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
thanks, yeah i heard about that, doesn't help me to remember about it on the appropriate day though umm D'oh! Although I'm pretty sure my parents have a copy of it on vinyl, always there for when reading seems too hard biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's on on Thursday nights at about 11pm i think. And it's repeated on tuesdays at around 6.30pm

I haven't managed to catch it on either day at any point so far.

My selfish father never bothered buying the vinyl version. he seems to have wasted his time buying stuff like Bob Dylan....

Meh

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna start crying! Douglas is my god. Just because it hasn't yet been mentioned, I'd like to say that his book 'Last Chance to See" is one of the most depressing and moving books I've read...
RIP Douggie-boy.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i find it so hard to read fiction coz i end up getting peeved with it and try + rewrite it or adapt it into a film. I have to read fact for my own sanity

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
funnily enough, i just finished reading 'Last Chance to See' (for the 3rd time) yesterday, and decided to google how some of the animals he went to see are doing now. It didn't make comforting reading.

baiji dolphin frown
Kakapo doing better (though still desperately endangereed)
White Rhino frown

As far as I could see, none of them are extinct yet though. Which is more than you can say for Douglas frown

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Theyre making the film of h2g2...

Empire are following it here:

https://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/futurefilms/viewfilm.asp?FID=9807

looks promising...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

funnily enough, i just finished reading 'Last Chance to See' (for the 3rd time) yesterday, and decided to google how some of the animals he went to see are doing now. It didn't make comforting reading.

baiji dolphin frown
Kakapo doing better (though still desperately endangereed)
White Rhino frown

As far as I could see, none of them are extinct yet though. Which is more than you can say for Douglas frown

Ugh, those numbers are sickening. But yay for the little bit of comeback in the Kakapo population!
It's really interesting when reading his books, you can tell which ones he wrote after doing last chance to See-like the whole part about seeing the Dodo's in Long Dark Teatime...

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
GUYS!! The new (i.e. not a repeat of the late 70's one, they're doing books 3-5!!!!) radio show is on on Tuesdays at 6:30 pm (GMT) and repeated on Thursdays at 11pm, and after the Thursday repeat you can listen to the show on the bbc's website for a whole week as many times as you like! So you still have until 11:30 pm tomorrow to listen to episode 1! Here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?hitchhikers

quick! go listen to it!

everyone's unique except me

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
its funny. I bought the book in India (almost a year ago) and havent read it because I was afraid of what you described, Cantus. I dearly loved Douglas Adams' work, and I just cant bring myself to read the last one. I feel like he will stay alive as long as I dont read his last chapter.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
but you HAVE to read it though - just because he wrote it. nd the interviews and articles and stuff at the end are good, although i did come away feeling that although i love the author i probably would have found the man irritating if not full on annoying.

we differ on a few important points like religion and me having a soul.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.