Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
my friend and i had a cool idea.we made a set of poi but we used sergical tubing for the rope part (with a loop of rope for a handle)we put glow sticks on the end of the chain and it was insanespin slow for small poispin fast for large poione problem is it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of the growing/shrinking, but not much

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That's a really cool idea. I am assuming you mean the elastic tubing they tie your arm up with to poke you for blood? Couldn't you thread glowsticks down inside the surgical tubing as well so that it glowed through? coolI fear, however that it prolly wouldn't be such a keen combination with fire...ewww...stinky melty ick splattering everywhere! shockedYou could prolly do the same thing with the auto bungee cords, I would think but you wouldn't be able to put stuff down the middle, but you would get the stretchy, yo-yo effect.Just a thought. ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i use the tubing that heroine junkies use for tieing off their arms.auto bungi cords are too stiffand i dont put junk down them cause it restricts flex in the cord(just saying this to save you some time)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I don't use glow sticks at all...I am strictly fire so I was just brain storming.Hey, what do I know?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
you know nothing ha ha ha!!!!just kiddingby all means use fire(just dont melt the rubber part!!!)we have done fire and stretchy poi but we love our glow sticks/beaming type poi[This message has been edited by Jeff Duncan (edited 11 January 2001).]

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey...i've done some stretching poi at some point...what i did was attach an elastic thingie (sorry my english is crap, i made it using the staff you use for clothes, e.g. on the sleeves of tracksuits, come on you know what i mean smile ) - anyways i used that for nearly the bottom half of the chain and then an inflexible cord for the rest of it - it wasn't very difficult to get used to, but it didn't feel very confortable and it was messing up some of my moves - the effect wasn't that great either so i gave up - you can always simulate bigger poi lengths y putting your whole arm into the moves instead of the wrist (works for moves like the weave etc) - Pele i think a piece of something elastic and stretchable near the handles of your poi might allow you to use it with fire too if you wanted...happy swinging,Simos

Purple Dragonmember
23 posts

Posted:
I tried something similar but by mistake - I used some non-slip stuff for handles and to lenthen my poi only I didn't realise it was strechy - I found it really off putting and strange and soon found something else to use

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
haha that's exactly how i got the idea Purple Dragon - i made elastic Poi handles by mistake - i hated them but then i thought i'd make a 'growing Poi' set...i wasn't too thrilled either...it's fun to experiment with though!happy swinging,Simos

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I've made some sort of streatchy poi useing 70 denier tights.. go slow they are short.. speed up and they s-t-r-e-a-t-c-h..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
still not as good as an idea ive had..

more about that when ive made them and seen what they are like...

watch this space --> <-- that one..

NoonaBRONZE Member
Cake lover
258 posts

Posted:

Oh...
I thought this was going to be a gardening thread.

I was looking forward to reading your tips on growing poi from seed.

My crop isn't doing very well this year, the slugs keep breaking into my greenhouse and eating the saplings before they're even spinnable

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I put little bowls full of beer in my poi garden. The slugs love the beer and they crawl in and drown.

Big poi harvest comeing this fall! Can't wait for the feast.