RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
for many years now I have dreamed of owning a particularly frivolous kitchen gadget, a cook's blowtorch. This little wonder runs on butane gas and produces a pretty blue flame which you can adjust. It is used for browning the top of things, like a creme brulee or something. To be honest I just like the idea of owning a very tiny blowtorch....

And now I do!!! Hooray for frivolous kitchen gadgets!!!

But I was also thinking that it would be very good for lighting poi when it is very windy.

Happy, happy...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I could also keep it in my handbag to use on muggers...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I find that butane torches, while good heat producers, aren't good sources of flame for lighting up poi. I think it has to do with the fact that they're blowing the butane gas out at such a high velocity that it cuts into the ability of the poi to catch the flame.... don't quote me on that, but I honestly have had problems trying to light with a torch.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
well, it would still be rather stylish to pull out a blowtorch to light your poi

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hmm, that sounds like a wicked way to melt the cheese on your toast

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Personally I've always wanted to light my poi with one of those flint-sparky thingies they have in chemistry class for lighting bunsen burners. For a while, I was designing a comstume based around an early 20th century greasemonkey look, with old skool welding goggles and the like; think same era as Disney's Atlantis. And I would have lit up using one of those sparky things. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and do you think it would have worked?

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
I think i know what u mean. Like the things you get for lighting gas stoves (in the UK at least), where youe squeeze one end and get a little spark at the other? If i'm thinking the same as you then I don'e think it would work as there's probably not enough vapour coming off the poi to catch fire.

just a guess tho. worth a try

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
ive just tried to light my poi with one of the little sparker gadgets and a real blow torch (not the kitchen one but the one you find in your garage and neither got the poi alight Pants!

Oh well it was worth a try

Has anyone ever tried one of those wind resistant lighters? do they light up the poi?

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean regarding the costume Paddy. A friend uses these grazy grease monkey goggles, with a flip down welding mask looking thing for doing sparkley poi and it looks wickedly industrial.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
You can start a cook book now,

"simply blowtorch"

Mot.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I know the flip down kind...in fact, that's all they have nowadays. I was really looking for the cup-style ones...similar to pilot goggles. I gave up on the costume when I couldn't find any.

Either, fire looks *amazing* when viewed through those kinds of lenses. Check it out if you have the means.

More back on topic...Dio, what kind of fuel were you using? Kero is so much harder to light than white gas. BigDav, what were you using when you tried the sparker?

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Rozi - those are great. Let me know if you want my creme brulee recipe. ^^

I light my poi with a lighter-sized butane torch. It's just like my mini kitchen blowtorch, but even smaller. It melts pennies and it lights up lamp oil on poi just marvelously.

E pluribus unum, baby.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Rozi - I'm jealous! I want one tooo!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

FyreFlyemember
26 posts

Posted:
I guess I am so last week! I just use my trusty Zippo. But Zippo now has out a torch-like flaming Zippo stick! How cool is that?

Yesterday I thought I could not.
Today I am certain I can.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I saw a documentary about a 7 star hotel called the Burj al arab and they have this fancy fountain that has fire being blasted out of it at the same time... apparently cos the water is oxygenated loads... so u put ur hand in the fire but u cant burn urself. Guess I cant light up then.... no poi in Dubai I guess.

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
I know that I need something better than the crappy disposable lighters I have. Luckily someone gave me a better disposable lighter last night after a few spins, while I was trying to get the bloody things to light. I'm going to have to experiment...

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
i want a blowtorch so i can light my ciggies like Chopper! no wot i mean!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program