Page:
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
The topic of Poi becoming mainstream, a form of competition or the connection between Poi and money seems to concern spinners. On the other hand some are dreaming of Poi becoming a recognised dance/art or even an olympic discipline.

My question: Where do you see Poi in the Future and what do you think would be the positive/negative characteristics of it?!?

Just some brainstorming . . .

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

But I think it is IMPORTANT to learn something from this, and how it can be prevented. Poi should never emphasize flash and "coolness" over beauty and grace and love of the art. And that's why I'm here on HoP.

Can I ask why. Why shouldn't it be about flash and coolness over grace. Who's to say that we have the right attitude to the way poi should be spun. Personally, I agree with the sentiment, but I also see that people view these sorts of things very differently, and for some, agressive spinning is just as nice, if not nicer, to watch than graceful arcs etc.

My mum once told me "Just because it is your way of doing something, doesn't mean it's the correct or only way"

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I couldn't care less whether I going to be/ am/ was part of a hype... As long as it feels good to me I'd even ride a skateboard... Just before I turn 80 or so, Poi would then "come back" again and my grandchildren would ask me how it was, back in the days when you were still allowed to light 'em up... rolleyes

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
no mainstream
then all these rules get made and there is a right way to do it and a learning progression...i like learning when it's just me and i had a bad day and i put on SOIL and just spin...
now that doesn't mean that i wouldn't mind a few more people in my area spinning so we could all learn from each other but the last thing i want to do is learn in a class

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
two more things
some competitions are fun...think drinking games...very fun...they don't need to turn into serious out and out battles, just something light hearted
now that someone mentioned it...we did a few odd/circus things in gym class
we had those two long sticks that people clack together in rythm and you dance in and out of them...lots of bruises and falls with that...and we learned some tricks with the baton...huh now that i think of it i was decent with that, but that was like3rd grade or something

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Poi is getting extremely diversified lately, some genres are so different they could almost stand on their own. The different styles of poi are becoming more and more different, making everything more interesting, unique, and poists are really starting to look different from each other. I hope things keep up like this because Im enjoying the diversity.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Patriarch917I think a "craze" or a "fad" stage would actually be bad for some of us. All the kids would run to the toy section in Wal-Mart, buy their poi, learn the basics, then after a summer or two it would fade away. Everyone would know what poi is, but they would remember it as a fad of the past. VH1 would do a show where B actors and comedians would reflect on 2007, and how that was "the year of poi." Instead of us being "people who spin poi" we would all become "people who STILL spin poi."

I agree. It's a very scary thought. How I hope it never comes to that.
While poi is amazing, it is more than just another toy. Poi are a gift from God. Poi are teachers. Poi show you the fundamental geometries of the universe. Poi are a gateway to flow. Never underestimate the power of poi.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

DohrBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Patriarch917I think a "craze" or a "fad" stage would actually be bad for some of us. All the kids would run to the toy section in Wal-Mart, buy their poi, learn the basics, then after a summer or two it would fade away. Everyone would know what poi is, but they would remember it as a fad of the past. VH1 would do a show where B actors and comedians would reflect on 2007, and how that was "the year of poi." Instead of us being "people who spin poi" we would all become "people who STILL spin poi."

I always thought it'd be cool for it to grow into some kind of competitive sport or something... but this is a really good point. The scariest part is that I could so see it happening frown

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I have always feared the idea of poi becoming a sport. Lots of people have asked me,"So are there competitions for it?". To which I would reply,"Fortunately, not yet". Poi will lose so much if it ever enters that arena.
Poi is incredible in that it doesn't matter how good of equipment you have or whether or not you have the best teacher. All that matters is how much you love it.
Usually when I ask someone to show me a move, they are excited, and will teach it enthusiastically. There is a mutual bond between poi spinners. Were poi to become a sport, that bond would disappear.
Gone would be the days of friendly correspondence between spinners. Then when someone asked to be taught a move, he would be flatly, and probably rudely, refused. Everyone would think that the next guy was trying to get an edge on him.
Flow spinning would all but disappear because in competition, the more technical the move the higher the points.
Sadly, I believe even wonderful forums such as this would change drastically change for the worst. Everyone would be afraid of helping his competitor. Who would still post?

"When everyone is special... No one is."

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

imtaeviMember
1 post

Posted:
future of poi - 8 poi in 2 hands. where each hand spin 4 poi. look like all go in this direction

Page: