kneebraceSILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hello!
I've been doing poi for a month or two now, and I find myself stuck. I've gotten to the point where my two, three and five beat weaves are consistent, I can turn with the weaves easily, I can do windmill, fountain, butterfly and wraps, and my flowers are getting better. However, I'm really unsure where to go from here, as all the moves I can find seem to far outside of my skill level now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
I notice you haven't mentioned hip and shoulder reels. Learn those, because they're nice. Also maybe search up the 4 beat windmill fountain thingy on Playpoi.com, because it's much nicer than a fountain. Stalls are cool and fun, and a good way to transition or change directions especially with fire where you might not want to do wraps all that often. Pendulums are also great, and they have a very different pace and feel from what peeps normally do with poi.

There's a really large range of stuff that you can do. Look for tutorials from places like Playpoi or Drexfactor and all I can say is just pick something you think looks nice, and stick with practicing it.

Also I want to put this out there - There really isn't such a thing as a move being "outside your skill level". It's all just practice, and if you think a move is too hard for you it's not that you're not good enough to do it, but that you haven't practiced it enough, or you haven't tried it before. smile

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
ditto to bob's post.

i might also suggest trying out some basic throws. you may or may not like them, but when i was at a similar point in my practice they gave a breath of fresh air and motivation. they also really helped with my coordination and control.

Fluidity.

talynnmichellebottomsBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
I've learnt that I'd you keep practicing you will learn new moves and variations on your own and start to figure out how certain things connect. Especially with different flowers. I like playing with corkscrews, reels, and crossers I think they are so pretty and fun. Chasing the sun is a fun one to learn also would suggest the "matrix" corkscrew move or zans diamond (I think that's what it is called)