Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Is there a correlation between being left or right handed and dominant direction of spin with poi?

Login/Join to Participate

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
Help me find out! I'm trying to grab a good sample size of responses to this form to find out if there's any link between lateral dominance (being left or right handed/footed) and the direction most comfortable to spin in when you're spinning in wall plane. If you have a couple minutes, please fill out this form and help me find an answer smile

Poi side dominance questionaire

Peace,
Drex

nupoCarpal \'Tunnel
9,576 posts

Posted:
If you sping your Poi wall plane, you are usually spinning
buttefly having both Poi spinning different direction.

So the last question is a bit mislieading and I think
ment to be a wheel plane, like spinning weave.

Also I think backward spinning is preffered no matter
of the hand dominancy.

But I'm looking forward to see the resolution too. smile

lawlietSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Filled in smile i agree with nupo, if i am spinning in my wall plane i am normally doing a butterfly move of sorts so 1 poi clockwise and 1 counter clockwise but my preferred direction of spin into say a spiral wrap or about to get into an orbital is counter clockwise. i think i prefer my right hand to end up on top of my left in both those instances but anyway, hope thats useful smile

Beginners do it until they can get it right, experts do it until they can't get it wrong.

XBL Gamertag: o Lawliet o

Bam BamYour Average Every Day Sane Psycho
31 posts

Posted:
@Nupo and Lawliet, there are many many many many moves in wall plane that are in same direction. As a matter of fact I spend most of my time in wall plane same direction clockwise and know a lot of people who do the same. I also do opposites in wall plane, and opposites in wheel plane, and same direction in wheel plane. The plane you are in does not determine the direction you are spinning, unless you are limited by the moves you know. Also Nupo, I prefer spinning forwards in wheel plane and know a good deal of people who are in the same boat, so I think you are generalizing a bit much here O.o

Lookin forward to seeing the results Drex grin

What, me worry?

advaneestranger
1 post

Posted:
I also do opposites in wall plane, and opposites in wheel plane, and samedirection in wheel plane. The plane you are in does not determine the direction you are spinning, unless you are limited by the moves you know. Also Nupo,

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
Thanks for filling out the form, everyone! I just wrote up the conclusions on my website. You can check it out here: Does handedness influence dominant direction of spin?

The Cliff's Notes: dominant hand appears to have no correlation to dominant direction of spin. The poi community appears to be nearly evenly split between people who favor spinning clockwise and people who spin counter-clockwise, regardless of which hand they favor.

Peace,
Drex