tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
hi friends.
i recently saw someone mention that they were trying out throwing moves with fire poi. i'm still fairly fresh at poi (a few months), and not really looking to light until i have more control, so i thought i'd ask some of you who are experienced with fire what you thought of this. have you tried/seen this done before?

assuming you have gear that could allow you to do effective throws, would you (or do you) try throws? again, i'm not anywhere close to lighting yet, so i've no idea. i seem to only see loop handles on fire poi, and throwing poi alight seems pretty sketchy no matter what precautions you take. but again, i'm a rookie, so i'm curious to hear what you all have to say. for now i'll stick to throwing my sock poi.

thoughts?

p.s.--wasn't sure which area this would fall under so i went with tech. if a mod thinks they should move it, please do.

p.p.s.--just to be clear, i'm not asking if i should try this, or saying anyone else should. just curious what everyone thinks as i've never really heard about it.

Fluidity.

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Yep, seen it done, done it (albeit quite sketchily) myself and it's entirely possible.

You'll want to have weighted handles, like silicone or wooden knobs, or even a little monkeyfist knot with a heavy-ish core. Poi head to handle ratio doesn't really matter too much, you can do them with symmetrical poi, or even barely any weight in the handles, and it'll still toss. However, once you find a weight ratio that you like, sticking with it would be a good idea since each different setup will behave differently for tosses (and contact too!).

Naturally, a really light handle will cause a centre of rotation much closer to the poi head, and the heavier your handles, the further this natural centre of rotation shifts towards the handle. (Personally I use a 1:3 handle:head weight ratio)

Knobs are fine with fire - never seen silicone knobs or PX3s melt even when peeps are spiral-wrapping and such, just make sure you remember they're knobs and not double loops, so you have to keep a decently firm grip on them if you don't want them flying off smile
I've seen some hybrid knob/loop handles too, somewhere on this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/162823333748197/

It really goes without saying that you should practice the various tosses on a set of (preferably) non-fire poi, because you'll be dropping it and smacking the poi against stuff a lot while learning it. As with all other things, you should able to do them comfortably and confidently unlit before attempting it with fire.

That said, good luck, have fun, and keep spinning! smile

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Eminently possible. Lighter coloured handles are better, because most people spin poi at night, and probably with it being fairly dark. This is just to see them better.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Daytime poi ftw from me! ^^

The feeling of fire spinning is very nice imo, but it doesn't beat spinning under the blazing sun with UV reactive colours grin

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
interesting. thanks a lot for the replies. like i said, i'm a way from doing much of anything with fire, but this certainly has me more invested in my tossing technique.

cheers!

p.s.--thanks to bob for some of the weight ratios. i'll be playing with those.

Fluidity.