Forums > Help! > ball handle comparison

Login/Join to Participate

LOCKED07SILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Hello all ^_^ I had a question between the silicone and wooden ball handles. I'm switching from my 2 finger loops to a ball set but was wondering if anyone could give me pointers or a pro/con between the the 2 sets. I only ask because the eyelet on the wooden set seems to protude more from the screw whereas on the silicone set the swivel is directly attached to the ball. Would this cause an issue with certain moves or is my curiosity over exaggerated?

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Single-Poi-Knob-with-Swivel
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Wooden-Ball-Handles-w-Swivels

AlexDGOLD Member
Elemental Spinner
30 posts

Posted:
im not sure weather swivel attachment matters, but based on my personal experiences with ball handles, silicon is the way to go. it is more comfortable (in my opinion) but they might wear out faster.

"Thats what"
—She

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
I have the silicone handle with the swivel attached. I've mostly stopped using it because the swivel being right on the side of the handle is really uncomfortable for one of the ways that I hold it, while the other two ways I hold the handle completely negates the swivel anyways. What I do right now is have a short section of colecord (or whatever cord you're using I guess) that separates the swivel from the handle, like the way that Flowtoys does with their weighted PX3 handles.

I find that the silicone knob itself is actually a bit too heavy a counterweight for 80mm stage balls (as poi heads), and a bit too light for 100mm stage balls, when I'm trying to do stuff like forearm rolls and so on.

Since then I've switched to using two PX3 knobs stacked on top of each other, sort of similar to the way that Flowtoys does their PX3 handles. Having two just feels nicer to me, 'cause the handle is larger and easier to catch. It's also not as bulky and wide as the silicone knob.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
A few more variations , different swivel placement, different weighted handle options also depending on routines and preferences, likes and dislikes ...... Also obviously these are for non fire options haha :-) Sorry didnt know from the post if you were after a fire or non fire design or just the knobs and no cords etc etc
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-ColeCord-Cords-Silicone-knobs
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-ColeCord-Cords-PX3-knobs-EXT
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-ColeCord-Cords-Silicone-knobs-EXT

Happy spinning

beaniebobGOLD Member
155 posts

Posted:
Don't dismiss these knobs so quickly for fire haha, a friend of mine has been using a setup similar to those EXT style cords (knob - colecord - swivel - chain) for about 6 months now, and he's been fine. He does have pretty long arms and poi though.

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Hey Beanie Bob, Yup I hear ya and totally not dismissing knob handles for fire, infact we have quite a few fire poi sets and chain sets on HOP already with knob handle designs and sell the parts for people to make their own designs if needed also. I was just referring to the designs above where people attach the knob to the swivel by colecord or a similar corded design to have a gap as we dont sell them like that on HOP for fire poi given the potential risk of the colecord melting etc when spiral wraps and such are done......
Otherwise yes swiveled silicone knobs, PX3 knobs and other designs definitely are super popular for fire, no worries there :-)

Happy spinning

beaniebobGOLD Member
155 posts

Posted:
Hm yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't really do spiral wraps anymore.

I've seen a set of hybrid knob handles made using a cotton double loop w/swivel, and and a silicone knob threaded onto one of the loops though (pic).

Have you guys at HoP considered selling cotton loops in addition to the leather and nylon ones that you stock right now? Cause that would be insanely awesome grin

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Yup we looked at cotton awhile back, used to sell kevlar handles also and played around with hemp mixs also but no plans just yet to have cotton ones but down a the track a little possibly it could be worthwhile increasing the range totally :-) Always nice to play around with different options etc for sure :-)