Forums > Other Toys > help with making a meteor

Login/Join to Participate

DudgeBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
hello, im new to this (or acctualy any) fourm. i have 2 years expriance playing poi and im making a cheap meteor with tennis balls and cord. im just curious how long will be best to make the cord. normally i just tie my two poi together but i just want to know if thats a good length or should it be longer? if you have any advice that will be cool. and i figure its a personal preferance but i just want to know where to star.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
The length I've seen most often is about as long as your arm span/your height. I don't know if this is traditional in any way, it's just what the meteor spinners I've met use. I have one I made about a foot too short, and it's really kind of awkward compared to longer ones I've used, so if that measurement seems too long, it probably isn't.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Idk why, but this just made me think of how to make a better meteor for myself. I forgot I have 2 pro series balls from HoP that I never use laugh3 as well a s 12ft of Colecord so let the fun begin! And I didn't know the length either I have to try this smile

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

DudgeBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
well thanks for the tips. i am just testing differnt lengths. i found the longer the better but it makes a cork scew imposible with my length.

RuckusSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I just started with meteor about two months ago, but I'm also a designer, so I've been through several prototypes. Here's what I have settled on, and am currently practicing with daily:
Length - equal to your wingspan, thumbtip to thumbtip, seems to be optimal.
Cord - colecord is o.k., but I'm in love with braided (not twisted) 1/4" polycord (the diamond-patterned stuff from the hardware store). It's strong, doesn't stretch, and wears in nicely for a comfortable grip. Also, talc or cue chalk is good to use on the center of the rope - it helps your grip, and helps you find true center without tape.
Poi Heads - Here's where I've gone off on my own. I like these rubber balls (by JA-Ru, inc.), you can get them at most Dollar General stores or sometimes at Walgreens for $1 each. They are 2&1/2" in diameter, durable, and have the right weight. To attach them, I screw in a 2" eyebolt (use epoxy on the bolt threads for security), then use a quick-release swivel clasp to attach to the rope. The swivel increases your range of motion, improves your flow, and keeps the cord from kinking up. The clasp makes it easy to switch out the poi heads.

I know this is probably a bit more than you were looking for, but I have to say that the difference is amazing spinning with these as opposed to colecord and tennis balls. Much easier, and more balanced!

Good luck to you, and happy spinning!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
try getting a climbers chalk ball for grip wink very handy and keeps most of the chalk in one place.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.