• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Deanna MacKay

Total posts: 2
Posted:Hi there I am a teaching student in new zealand and I need to know a few metaphors relating to poi.

Can any one help me out?

Thanks smile

Elemental Spinner
Total posts: 30
Posted:its just like riding a bike wink

"Thats what"

HOP admin
Total posts: 984
Posted:Poi is having long bendy arms
Poi is swimming without water
Poi is a mini roller coaster
Poi is reaching out
Poi is drawing inside a sphere
Poi is a drug
Poi is painting in space
Poi is flying without wings
Poi is a Yo-yo
Poi is giant dancing

"May your balls always burn"

Deanna MacKay

Total posts: 2
Posted:What do these all mean? If you were to explain these how would you put this?

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8735
Posted:poi is a yo-yo?

Surely that's what Diabolo is, beginners yoyo wink

Surely if Malcolms metaphors don't help you then they may not be the ideal teaching tool.

I always found specific instruction helped more than abstract thoughts when teaching the basics.

the best I came up with was poi is like trying to shake off a long sticky sock stuck to your fingers...elegantly. you are trying to keep the string extended (tight) and use a variety of methods to pull it off your hand circles with speed, pendulums wraps etc. but the damn things won't come off!

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Total posts: 6
Posted:This is what i usually say when I'm teaching guitar lessons to kids.

It's an instrument to let your heart out. everybody has its own rhythm and beat in our body. when you play that's what you call music.. Your heart is you beat/guide , Your Guitar/poi is an extension of your self in physical form, you can manipulate it however you wanted to.

And your rhythm/style might differ from mine. or a little bit similar. but now close your eyes now swing your arms and let your body move freely and hear and do what your minds wants you to. listen carefully.

Whoa! Great Job! Now look at him guys. that what you call a natural.. smile

It depends actually on your teaching style. you can use different analogy/metaphor upon your liking or tastes.

The more creative you think the more fun it'll gonna be teaching/sharing your knowledge.

Hope it helps. smile