Forums > Social Chat > favorite place to practice?

Login/Join to Participate

oscurochuSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
I'm still quite new to poi. I have a back yard, and plenty of room to practice but I just can't get into the mood to just spin. I find myself getting frustrated so easily. Spinning at home is just not for me, which is where I came up with this question: What is your favorite place to spin?

I've spun at a drum circle, I've spun at a beach, I've spun on my grandpa's farm, I've spun walking down the road, and at friend's houses. Spinning is always fun for me, except for when I'm at home. I always enjoy walking places while spinning my poi

I have a park right up the road from my house I spin at sometimes. I'm usually there at night, no people, no distractions and an occassional car driving by; I have the whole park to myself. I can easily spin for 3-4 hours at the park, and not realize that time has passed. I haven't found a better place to spin than the park.

What's your favorite place to spin, and what makes this place so special?

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
I'm probably going to get some very weird reactions to mine.

My favorite place to spin is this Cemetery right next to where I live. It has a huge empty area that is always kept perfectly clean.

It is beautiful, there are no distractions, I feel like I have an audience of gentle souls watching me and reminding me how short life is and to enjoy it.

oscurochuSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
I would spin poi in a cemetary! The park is just a lot more convenient for me to walk to.

Stnd54SILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
I definitely agree that cemeteries are really peaceful places, but for me any open green space is my playground =)

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
I tend to prefer the beach at night. There's something about the water that always relaxes me and adding poi to that makes it at least twice as good.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I like several of the parks in the area, or one of the ballrooms our spin jam group rents in the winters. Though most of my practice time actually happens at bus stops tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

HeffeHeffeHeffeSpinners United Leader
29 posts

Posted:
my favorite place is either fassnight park where i live jordan valley park where every thursday a bunch of spinners get together and spin its awesome or my friends house otherwise i just spin wherever i am i just try to go to one of those places

RuzeBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
i like to go to walmart and spin to see everybody's reaction who don't really know what i'm doing. But my favorite is in the middle of the street, any street, but down town is the best.

Sam_LaBonteSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
THE BEACH!!!!!!!!!

FlowFrostBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I usually spin in my backyard, I live far out on the country and the surroundings are abselutely beautiful and peacefull. And there's a LOT of space.

Else, I practice at school (circus school), but there's not that much space because people jut walk right into "spin zone" so I usually have to stop what I'm doing to not hit them.
But practise can happen anywhere

Man_in_the_maskBRONZE Member
specializes in the potentially insane
130 posts

Posted:
out of all the places ive spun ive found the beach to be extraordinarily peaceful not only that but any scenic body of water. a nearby lake or pond while on a camping trip just late in the evening is amazing (only things to distract your are the sounds of nature which only helps to put me in a creative mood). . . . im just drawn to scenic looking water. . . remarkably peaceful and inspires more of a fluid motion in your technique

"We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin..."

Lionidasstranger
10 posts

Posted:
Well, I kind of enjoy spinning my poi at home, on the seccond unfinished floor of my house, there is totally empty and silent, it's just perfect. I also do it in the park next to my house... But there is kind of... Well, full of peeps tongue2

Live your life like a wild animal... But be careful with animal control -Furry Carpediem-

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Not sure about favourites, but I quite like spinning with the circus society at my university, mainly cause everybody is learning new stuff or practicing and generally creating a nice vibe. Also probably helps that there's a guy who's really into tech poi to teach me new stuff heheh

Besides there, I like to practice at this dance studio that all my dancer friends train at, where there is an abundance of mirrors, couches to crash on, and lots of other people who are training as well. And good music, of course (because I'm too lazy to get my own music)

I don't mind spinning at home either - although I can only spin in my room, which is pretty cramped, there's a floor to ceiling mirror, and I learned a lot of plane control when I was starting out from random practices late at night.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Spin in a cemetary? Done it. Queer place to spin though. Be awesome at night though.

Flickering orange light from the whirling poi casting shadows throughout, and illuminating the grave stones.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

RaineStormNerevarine, Dohvakiin, Browncoat
177 posts

Posted:
It doesn't matter where so much to me as when. I love to spin at night- of course thats because I have podpoi.
But spinning in the woods is nice, under a starlit sky or a full moon is nice, anywhere you can dance on grass is nice... I'd spin in a cemetery. In the rain is fun too.
In the wilderness is really nice tho.

Someone call the doctor cuz this Beat is Sick-

Mtnsailor7SILVER Member
Spinner
6 posts

Posted:
At the beach, I like to make a circle about five feet wide and just spin away in that circle (although I don't always stay in the circle). Where I am now, there is this bar with an out doors patio where I can watch tutorials and practice at the same time.

Daye__JohnsonGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
I usually practice in the graveyard across the road from me. I tried doing fire once there though and ended up with the police showing up.
Funny enough though is I can do it at a school later at night (by a busy street.), and nobody even so much as turns their head.
Guess our priorities are in the wrong place.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Bustops. Playgrounds when the kids are playing. But mostly where other spinners are . Always more fun with more spinners...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
@Charles,

Do you like to spin at bus stops? Or on bus tops?

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

Rebecca_HuffmanBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I have yet to spin very many places

but I'm between completely alone in the dark, my pod poi , and Alt j.
and I spun when I went to see carnival of madness Stl Mo. first time spinning in a public place.
It was pretty fantastic.