KaeGOLD Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
I know most people who make their own poi probably do either sock poi or fire poi...but I have been toying with some ideas of my own to go with various costumes (some of this may be due to my experience with burlesque and costume building). For example, I had the idea to make some fluffy parrot poi with tails to go with my pirate costume this Halloween, just for fun. Yarrrr! smile Anyone else do something like this before?

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I made a cool pair of poi out of braided yarn and purple tye dye fabric. I filled the fabric with beans and sewed the yarn onto the ball. It didn't really go with any costume or anything though. XD Maybe a hippy costume? tongue2

Question everything.

KaeGOLD Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Sounds pretty darn cute! smile I wasn't thinking it had to be costume-related, just different, fun stuff...just like that!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I once saw a set of poi that were the head and body of a stuffed toy! If you did an airwrap catch, then it would put the head and body back together! grin

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI once saw a set of poi that were the head and body of a stuffed toy! If you did an airwrap catch, then it would put the head and body back together! grin

Cool, yet vaguely morbid at the same time. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
i sometimes make dreamcatchers and had big feathers left over at the end so put them onto a chain, needed a weight though they floated too much
Mother-Natures-son I think I know the poi your talking about, the man who makes them also puts doll heads on staffs

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I only saw the poi at Common Ground in Adelaide. I kinda thought at the time that whoever owned them (and I can't even remember who it was, now) had made em' themselves, but I suppose that they coulda' purchased em.

hug

Env0stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I've made two pairs of sock poi, and I'm currently putting together a set of fire poi. My friend got into chainmail and he made chainmail rope. I'm looking for handles, and deciding what to put as the headweight.

richiiStick spinner
43 posts

Posted:
my sock poi are homemade by me and one of my mates and my contact poi are also homemade by a different friend of mine. One of my friends was trying to make chinese style dragon poi. With a dragon head then a dragon body as tail poi.

Comrade GwydionBRONZE Member
'Twas something with sticks, no?
2 posts

Posted:
I've cut fabric for a vaguely medieval poi, but I've never gotten to the point of assembling them. Maybe I'll do that this weekend smile

Messing around with:
Devil sticks / Staff / Diabolo.

KaeGOLD Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Pretty awesome ideas. smile I especially like the Chinese dragon poi...my bf was commenting that in our latest round of fire shots, he couldn't stop seeing "dragons" or "snakes" in the heads/trails, so it's a good segue. Lol.

RuzeBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I made really standard sock poi with rice as the weight and a hair tie to keep it all at the head. I sharpied different colored stripes on them. I also made a set with the tether a 5 strand round braid out of hemp, with large wooden beads for handles and the other end was tied with an overhand knot. The poi head was a bandana, one green and one yellow, that i laid flat and put rice in the center then wrapped the bandana around tether's end that has the knot and wrapped and tied off a strand of hemp around the bandana to secure the poi head.

Its hard to explain how i did the second ones.

Man_in_the_maskBRONZE Member
specializes in the potentially insane
130 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Env0I've made two pairs of sock poi, and I'm currently putting together a set of fire poi. My friend got into chainmail and he made chainmail rope. I'm looking for handles, and deciding what to put as the headweight.

sounds vaguely similar to a set a friend had not too long ago. i was into chainmail for a while (still play with it every now and again) and had made her two oriental pattern balls that she attached to some oval chain handles and spun with. it looked pretty awesome and she ended up getting several positive comments on them. you thinking about doing the chainmail rope for a fire set? or a daytime practice/fool around type set?

"We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin..."

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I made some out of long flexible weeds, and sticks woven into a ball. They were great, but the weeds quickly snapped. Oh well.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
mine tend to look more industrial than nice. i tend to like the looks of knots and metal or fabric and... well, more knots.

maybe i'm just lazy and adjusted my aesthetic choices to match.

Fluidity.