Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Hi Everyone, I was looking for a thread on one of my favorite toys/weapons and being unable to find one, thought I would create it.

I'm sure many of you have heard of the whip chain; not to be confused with the chain whip, a bicycle repair tool. I am specifically refering to the Jiujiebian or nine section whip. I was into the whip chain for a few years before finding poi.

I remember while I was into it, I once saw a video of John Su doing a double whip chain form. At the time, I thought that it was one of the most crazy and impossible things one could do. The very thought of swinging two long flexible objects without having them tangle made my head hurt. Then, I found poi.

Only a few weeks into poi, I found that the most complex movement I had seen done in a double whip chain for, was the forward three beat weave. About as easy as poi gets.

I just thought it would be neat if any of you guys who had experimented with or been trained in this tool would share about your experiences with it. Or if anyone hasn't heard of it that they would be able to learn about it.

A word of caution though. I cannot recommend this tool to anyone who will not be training under a professional. It is a weapon, and can cause great bodily harm if used carelessly.

An old martial arts proverb says this, "If one is to injure themself, it will be with a whip".

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
I have had several years of martial arts training with Nine-Section Chain whips. Not bad for a combat idea, but not useful as a dance tool. I think it is a tool to be left in the Wushu Realm personally.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I'm with you there ShadowlessTyger, I don't think it whould be used on the dance floor. It could be considered a flowtoy, but is more a weapon than a toy. Besides, I would recommend a flowtoy that you don't have to worry about killing youself with.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Or, work on spinning slowly, then you won't damage yourself with it smile

I remember when people were breaking noses and chipping teeth with the old 'beaming poi': whether it's beamers, chains whatever- if you spin them slowly, you won't get hurt.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!