AlexDGOLD Member
Elemental Spinner
30 posts

Posted:
Just wonderin, when i spin off, is it likely that the trails on the ground , or that the excess fuel that falls on me will catch?

"Thats what"
—She

SareaArtist in Training
8 posts

Posted:
Do you mean before you light to wick to get rid of excess fuel?
I think it would depend how close the flame got and if there was anything on the wick to cause sparks or embers. Even without those factors though it seems extremely risky.
Personally, based on my limited knowledge of fire spinning I would advise finding a way to spin off into a bag or container. Not only does this avoid the extra risk from fire as well as the possibility of a slippery surface to dance on, but you'd also be saving yourself a bit of money on fuel.

You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Happens to every guy sometimes this does - Yoda

RuzeBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I don't know how you apply your fuel, but i just pour it on the poi head over a bucket. I still do a spin off, after i've lit the poi, but take precautions like, do it a way from the fuel can or dry vegetation, or anything that may catch on fire. I spin off just by swinging the poi by my sides, emphasizing on the down beat. A trail of about 16 inches on the ground goes directly behind me, but almost always goes out as soon as it hits the ground. But all in all, just take the proper precautions.

AlexDGOLD Member
Elemental Spinner
30 posts

Posted:
okay, i spin off before i light them and thank you for your time. XD

"Thats what"
—She

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I sit my poi un a bucket of fuel until the bubble stop, then there is no risk of pouring fuel over something I don't want greasy

I advise making a simple and ingenious contraption to spin off, take a plastic bottle (2 litres) Cut off the top and put 2 holes oppostie each other near the top.

Take a long length of string tie each end through the holes.

when you spin off put your poi in the bottle and hold the string and the chain (handle) so there is a gap between the poi head and the bottom of the bottle, spin both off together. excess fuel will be caught by the bottle which can then be poured back into your bucket.

Environmentally sound, economically sound and no slippy patch on the floor and no wasted fuel.

Ta da!

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
as mynci says, spin off or 'catch cans' are the way to go.

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire