Sam_LaBonteSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
this is me with my sock poi, i have been spinning for right around 5 weeks, how am i doing??????

Gary_CifersSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
honestly i think you are doing great for five weeks! at that time i wasn't able to break from 3 beat to two beat much less btb butterfly plane changes. the only tip i can give you is relax... not sure if you always spin like that though or if you were just nervous about spinning in front of the camera. great work thought man!

Sam_LaBonteSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Thanks a bunch man! and yeah i was noticing how stiff i was looking back at it, when i am spinning i feel very fluid and like i am moving smoothly but when i watch a video or look in a mirror i realize that i am not, i have been toying with my movement a lot today

Brandon_DerryBRONZE Member
stranger
16 posts

Posted:

Good work bud!

For five weeks, that is great progress!

As for some of the full 360 degree rotations, maybe incorporate a 3 beat/5 beat weave like around 2:55. What I mean is make it more interesting than just a straight turn by spinning the poi in a full circle (if you know what I mean).

Other than that, keep spinning, try some moves by standing straight at the camera. For example, the flower (I believe it's called) is a good move where you start from the left side, swing forward in a 3 beat weave, under to the right (reverse 3 beat weave) and over top to the left again. Another is doing the butterfly and then behind your head makes for an impressive move. Maybe try a cross and shorten the rope to transition into a buzzsaw. Not saying you don't know these, but try to put as many impressive moves in as you can! Big moves transitioned into a small move makes for impressive effects.

Also it's all about you own flavour, don't be stiff. Be smooth. Flow with the poi. Be in control.

All-in-all, you have skills and clean moves man! If you haven't tried fire maybe you should, I don't see any hits.

Good job!

Sam_LaBonteSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
thanks for the advice man! I have learned all of the moves you mentioned my transitions are just sometimes sketchy, ad as for fire i have already asked for some fire poi for christmas, I am awaiting some LED glow poi in the mail right now and ill probably get some flowlights in a month or two, i have the Cole Cords with swivels right now and i put some tennis balls at the end haha
As for the fluidity of it, that is also what i see as my biggest problem so i have been working pretty hard on loosening myself up as far as stretching and whatnot.
Thanks a bunch man! I am really pumped on poi right now and encouragement helps that a lot! i have been practicing 4-5 hours a day haha

stranger
16 posts

Posted:
Good, keep up the practice and good work! And keep spinning!

Also, glow POI can be just as beautiful as fire in the night, good choice!

Sam_LaBonteSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
OMG!!!!!! I JUST GOT MY ORBITALS DOWN COLD! I CAN KEEP EM GOING FOR A GOOD 20 SECONDS!!!!!! and my glow poi just came in and i love them soooo much <3

stranger
16 posts

Posted:

That's great! Glad you like 'em! Keep spinning!!!

RuzeBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Thats Some greats spinning man. I also didn't have anybody to teach me besides online and i was nowhere near your skill level in that time, so just know your gonna be doing some amazing stuff in the future. I know every body's telling you, loosen up and relax. Also, don't forget to practice moves with both arms in all directions, it will hurt u in the future, it did me, and opens you up for more possibilities. Oh and last critique, work on staying in your planes, when your doing 360's and 180's.

keep up the good work.

P.S. check me out on youtube, i subscribed and will list you.

happy travels man

LifeofFirestranger
3 posts

Posted:
Very nice my friend! If you want alittle pointer I would start working on your planes and timings. Once you get those down. I do mean like drill them in your head, a whole new realm of posibilitys come soon after!.

kewlnsolBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
very nice ive been messing round with poi for a year on n off
n some of the stuff in that vid makes me wonder where im goin wrong grin

keep in mind as i found with using 4 different poi from sock and chain to cord led, i found the timing changes based on the weight a lot n some moves like the wrist wrap are easy with sock and a pain with the leds just keep practicing

big note too if your thinking of fire poi read very carefully the forums on the safety side, you like a lot of us catch yourself quite a bit with the socks, that wont be a good thing with considerably heavier fire poi so that plain control might just save you a visit to A&E hope thats helpfull
EDITED_BY: kewlnsol (1359233556)

southafricadudeGOLD Member
12 posts

Posted:
Not bad dude, good idea putting up a video, keep doing that so that you can monitor your progress. It would also be cool to put a video together after a year showing your progress over the year smile

synndarellaDIAMOND Member
61 posts

Posted:
Yeah you're good. You're going to be a good poi'er if you stick with it.. you will, its' so addictive smile

You'd benefit from learning how to switch from butterfly to weave. Its really easy, when you in butterfly allow one poi to hit your arm, or your hip, or even kick up your heal. This reverses the direction so both poi will then be in weave.

You can also stop them in midair, look up Stalls, you'll love them wink

One video that really helped me positioning myself and the poi was this super basic one by playpoi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HfWtSAvsZaE#at=52

And one video I wish I'd watched first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-USZKB6KtW0#!

Good luck with it, I'll be looking forward to seeing you on youtube this summer smile

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~

MimiJulyBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
I think you've practice a lot for five months. That video was almost a year ago tho lol You must be spinning in festivals now grin

msgSILVER Member
8 posts

Posted:
slow down man, let it flow.

I spun fast and hard like that for a while when I started. I got told by a few good spinners to slow it down and let it flow before I finally listened, I'm glad I did.