DianeTstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Out of curiosity, which is easier to learn... Sock Poi or Flag Poi?

Writers don't get mad, they plan your demise in a storyline.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Sock poi definitely.

Less drag and far more you can do with them at a higher level (inc. hyperloops / tangles etc)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DianeTstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Interesting. I'm still a noob at all this. I finally dragged out a pair of long socks and went to the toy section in CVS to get a pair of baseball sized light kick balls.. or something. They're soft, thankfully. So now I can have equal weights on either side.
Hopefully I can get both hands to work as individuals instead of working with my oak staff when I have time and space to do it.

Though I have to say... the Flag poi looks a lot easier... But my mom always says, "Looks CAN be deceiving." grin

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
reasons why sock poi is easier:
1. weight distribution is easier to swing
2. the flex in socks gives you feedback in your hands when you are spinning too hard
3. socks are thick enough not to tangle
4. socks are cheaper
5. There is no point 5
6. portability. both are small, but socks are easier to collapse and squash into your gear bag/skyrim inventory.

also, welcome to Hop, dianet!!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DianeTstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Thanks Bender, for the welcome.

I finally got my Sock Poi setup.. found some Hanes socks in a drawer and a couple of 50 cent squishy balls at the store. I've been practicing the forward spins and the backward spins... then the alternating spins... it's the backward alternating spins that are giving me problems. My right hand is fine, it's the left hand I have to train.

I've only been at it a couple days, so it's not a big deal.. it'll fall into place with practice.

Besides, it gives me time to become inspired to add this hobby to a new book I'm writing. *evil grin*

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
awesomeness! i still have difficulties with my left hand keeping up with my right. one good way of catching them up is to reinforce muscle memory by mirroring what your right hand is doing with your left hand - slowly at first for familiarity and faster later when you're solid. smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AliciaJonasstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Sock Poi is easier and also very advanced.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I agree with every one else, sock poi are easier to learn.

That said, I am looking forward to buying a pair of gossamer wing flag poi from HOP soon.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

DianeTstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Keep everyone updated on how that goes, Lone Wolf. Would be interesting to hear from someone who is starting out working with flags.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Sure thing! smile

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

lawlietSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Socks are definitly easier to learn with, and you can do them anywhere! I have some flag poi that i rarely use, they look awesome but are very affected by the wind so you have to forever adjust what your doing. one kinda cool thing with the flags is the noise they make! Loud flutters ftw!

Beginners do it until they can get it right, experts do it until they can't get it wrong.

XBL Gamertag: o Lawliet o