Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
Just thought this might be helpful if anybody had any questions about any of the photos up...

come here and ask...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I actually have a question, however it may be a little controversial....

I do not intend to offend anyone at all with this, but I'd really like to know how a picture like Number One can get 92 votes when all it is is a simple fire photo similar to ones we have all seen a million times? Especially when there are so many other truely beautiful and unique pictures to choose from...

A few of the pics in teh top 10 have caused me to question whether the photo comp turned into a popularity contest? Those that have the most friends with internet access are the ones most voted for? Defeats the whole purpose of the contest.

O - and before anyone suggests that I am bitter about the rank of my photo, please save your energy. When pics like #44, #38, #11 etc mine stands no chance!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm actually seconding flash..... it's been bugging me for awhile. pics like 44 are amazing, i think we agree? but there's a lot of photos up top which really arn't all that good, imo.... as flash says, there's some very unique and interesting photographs out there.

i'm also a little curious about the "as many votes as you want" thing??? it seems like a set number per person would be more fair?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
it seems that one should not be able to know whose pic is which in order to make less "personal".

Some of them did make me smile and I liked them a lot, but I must say flash's a bit right about it ... but the competion was opened to anyone just like the video competion. it's amateur anyway ...

and i do remember that the first time I saw fire pics >I got all excited and mesmerized (and they were not that good) which explains why people voted maybe ?

just my two cents of euros

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's not a popularity contest. It's a scam.

I could have easily submitted a photo of me holding a candle, then given every kid in my school an extra credit point for voting for me with a bonus point for whoever went to the computer lab/library/internet cafe and voted the most times. Heck, I could have told all my other teacher freinds about it and easily had a few thousand votes. Plus, link this page from one of my other hobbies' website and ask others to vote for me.

I think our next competition should be purely a "who can scam the most votes" competition. I'd be down for that.

Stuffing the ballot box with all of your friends names is a popularity contest. Stealing $150 by getting your friends/relatives/co-workers to vote for you is a scam.

How many people voted anyway? Is it more than HoP members?

-I didn't submit so my disappointment is not motivated by sour grapes.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Which brings me to my next point (so different it needed a different thread.)

Cass and I were talking about COL3 and I came up with an idea for COL4... Inside/with each video purchased you'd get a postcard addressed to malcolm which would have a "Viewers choice" category. This way everyone who purchased a video could stick a stamp on the card and vote (once) for such things as:

Best Poi Spinner
Best Staff Spinner

and even silly categories like...

Prettiest location
Best Costume
Best Technical Spinner
Best Fire Dancer
Best Original Music

Of course there wouldn't be money associated with each winner or Malcolm would go broke BUT it would kick everyone in the pants to spin somewhere other than behind the trailer park bathrooms in my AC/DC shirt.

I think that having a "peoples champion" as well takes some of the pressure off of the judges. The judge could still pick the grand winner.

And by including one vote in each video you'd encourage sales too! If someone wants to buy 500 videos to win and that money keeps HoP up and running, SO BE IT! Granted, you'd still have pockets of unscrupulous people voting for friends but I dont' think it'd be as bad.

[There Cassandre, I said it! Happy? ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Alliemember
30 posts

Posted:
Now that sounds like a cool idea

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I like NYC's idea, i don't want to overwork Malcom tho, don't take on more of that than you can handle sweetie!

I also have a suggestion for col4 (shoudl we be on a new thread?)

can we do a section of non-competition submissions? perhaps you can put safeguard in that section, i.e. sponsors, right to refuse, etc, but my hope is that might encourage video footage from some people who don't want performance arts to be about competition, so that we could still watch them and learn from them.(examples including glass and dom).

just a thought.

peace & love, kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
bah, sorry to have raised such a negative topic, but i guess there were things that needed to be said...

(i had originally meant questions like "what the hell is happening in that picture?")

however, since were here, i applaud malcolm's quick reaction to this, and would like to say, that no matter what, voting is going to be flawed, it will never be perfect, especially when its online...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

4,224 posts

Posted:
As always : much respect to you Malcolm !!!! Don't be please... you know you do help and provide us with that amazing place that is HOp and all the amazing things that happen in it so THanks very very much and much respect as always

NYC ... your point is quite hard , I would not have gone that far ... but considering it from Malcolm's point of view it does make me feel a bit ...

good thing is , this is how we learn

shine on
Cass

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
WELL DONE GUYS!

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
I don't think it is/was a scam ...hell I tried o rig it but I only have about 10 friends, not hundreds. I was thinking the same at some point, then in the end I guessed the public will decide. People like nice twilry wirly pics, and even prefer glow to fire... The contest was for what the public deemed the best photo, and the masses have spoken. At the end of the day it is great to have a photo up in a public place where a jury of ones peers can view you at work, and enjoy the sight.
(Think about the music charts...how the hell does that crap get on there, I aint buyin it....but someone is!)

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I still feel my points from earlier this month were valid, but in the end some really great pics won!

I'm pleased to see that justice and good taste prevails

Well done all, especially Flynt!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
thanks!

i think next time it'd be really good if everything was anonomouse from day one... make it totally impartial!

*hugz malcolm for putting on the comp*

fanks again!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
or mayhap you have to get a registered voting account and can only have 1 vote per person

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
1st - Flynt
2nd - Phusion
3rd - Mark P
4th - Sparx
5th - Julz

Congrats & welldone for some very pw-etty piccies!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

4,224 posts

Posted:
Congrats to all of you

shine on
Cassandra

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Congratulations Flynt, that truely was an excellent photo.

Thankyou Malcolm for running the competition, I can now get my first set of tailed poi to practice indoors with

Thankyou everyone who voted for my piccy, I know Flynts was the best by far but it was lovely to come in the top 5

Mark P

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
the one thing reading this string over that no one seems to have mentioned is that this competition was supposed to be of sexy photos. not who can weave the most geometrically precise spirograph patterns (lovely tho they are). let's try to stay on topic for the next photo comp.

db.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen these pictures in ages and I'd love another look. Are they gone now?? Anyone know where they are?? Malcolm??

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Branniganstranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm sorry, I'm new to this site. Where do I post the photos at?! =/