Forums > Other Toys > Club Manipulation - Biceps in your thumbs???

Login/Join to Participate

synndarellaDIAMOND Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hiya
Is it normal for your thumb joints to feel numb and painful when starting out - or am I maybe holding them wrong? Is there a certain way to hold them I should know about?

Thanks in advance~

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
No, you shouldn't feel any pain when doing club manipulation of any type. What type of manipulation are you doing? Juggling, Swinging, Contact, Spinning, etc?

Juggling you might get some impact that could cause pain, but move your catch closer to the center and later in the rotation.
Spinning, you can use a grip if you have a large enough knob at the end that is the same as it was poi with a knob. I like between my index and middle finger.

There are lots of grips for club swinging, if you can try to describe your grip, someone should be able to help determine if it is bio-mechanically un-ergonomic. I prefer for most of my manipulations to use a reverse pencil grip. Basically it's like holding a pencil but the club facing the other direction; between Thumb, Index and Middle fingers.

The safest for your fingers, but works on your wrist, (most popular for heavy club swinging exercises) is just holding it like a baseball bat or a staff end grip.

For contact, it's usually the catches that hurt my fingers, especially my thumbs. I found that it's better to grip earlier that you expect or aim to grab closer to the fingers and further away from the thumb.

I hope that helps!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
if doing club contact you may feel some strain on your thumb if bending the wrist in to hold locked between thumb and wrist or other arm part, try to do some mild stretching of the hand / wrist before you begin and not to strain too hard to hold the position. The more relaxed you can be in the lock the easier it will feel.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

synndarellaDIAMOND Member
61 posts

Posted:
Thanks that did help a lot smile
Sorry so long to reply I often put things here and totally forget.. lol
Thanks smile

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
might be late to the party, but i'll just throw in my two cents anyway.

not sure how you're gripping, but i know that for a while my grip was putting pressure on the inside of the joint of my thumb which lead to lots o' numb thumb. i adjusted my grip to put the pressure on a fattier bit which helped, but eventually just switched to keeping the knob on the inside of my index and middle finger, and it's served me infinitely better.

good luck finding a grip you like.

Fluidity.