warren79BRONZE Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Hey this is my 1st post and not sure im at the right place.

I want to order the LED sock poi but want to know if its possible to add swivels to them so I can do Uber loops......and if there are swivels on the socks will it be a problem to remove the led balls for battery replacement,etc?

Thanks

4LeafCloverSILVER Member
Never confined to a single belief
32 posts

Posted:
I am not sure, but I do know that Nick Woolsey has socks with swivels on them, and HoP was supposed to start selling them at one point or another, but I have not seen them on there.

May the Centrifugal Force be with you.

::Ignorance Is Bliss

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I belive there is a side-hole in the socks to remove the LED balls (you may want to ckeck that with someone who actually has a pair- I just played with someone else's) so adding a swivel shouldn't cause a problem in that way.

To be honest though, I'm not sure if it would be easier to make the sock part from scratch- and just add LED balls..

You could try this post in the technical discussion- may have more luck finding info there smile

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Yep, HOP uses a side opening for the balls/weights; the swivel won't interfere with it. Adding swivels should be no problem - just get a D-ring to connect the swivel to the end of the sock, and you can either tie it on or sew it on (the latter will look a lot better, but also be more permanent).

Personally, I don't like the look of glowing sock poi - if you want the glow you might do better ordering HOP's glow poi (the ones with the string tethers) and replacing the cord with Colecord or something else a little beefier than their nylon string. I use paracord, myself. But if you do that, then you can add a swivel on the handle end and the head end, if you like that sort of thing. smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

warren79BRONZE Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a plan....might look into that but I like socks that glow in black light and have a glowing ball in them.Still have to decide though but thanks for the replies.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
earlier this year, mr chutney set about putting swivels on his socks. to do so, he cut the poi (yes, cut, with scissors) slightly higher than the counterweights (the weights in the handles), then got a pair of those fishing swivels nick reccomends, and simply tied the poi to them.

he was quickly getting awesome orbitals with them, but said he much prefered to hold them in a way that the swivels werent in use while he was just normally spinning, then slightly adjust his grip when he wanted to do an orbital

best of luck smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
At around 3:10 on Nick's -how to make sock poi- video he shows his swivel sock poi and how to make them.

*3:10 ish*

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
the hop sock poi are really so that might be something you also need to think about

I love thinking in circles

JanetMagestranger
1 post

Posted:

would you want one ?
--------------------------
led strip lights
LED Light Bars
flexible led strip

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JanetMage
would you want one ?

Well, if you had swivels it'd make stuff like orbitals and hyperloops a lot easier and less tangly.

I believe what Nick Woolsey has is a sewn loop in his sock poi, which he then threads through into the swivels (like you would a lanyard) and another loop to attach to the other end of the swivels for a handle.

And it's been a long time since it was asked, but HoP is selling them now I think: here

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."